Page 59 of 173 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Ireland
    'Blood on Satans Claw'

8/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Groundhog Day - 9.5/10

It's been a while since I saw it, so it was nice to give it another spin. Extra points to Sky Movies for showing it on groundhog day itself, but not only that, showing it over and over and over again in a row, even with the exact same adverts and continuity announcements in-between ... well played.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Groundhog Day - 9.5/10

It's been a while since I saw it, so it was nice to give it another spin. Extra points to Sky Movies for showing it on groundhog day itself, but not only that, showing it over and over and over again in a row, even with the exact same adverts and continuity announcements in-between ... well played.
    Tis a great flick isn't it
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Groundhog Day - 9.5/10

Bill Murray is known to have strong opinions and sometimes avoid any connection to his previous films, including this one, but it amazes me that he still claims he was not pleased with this flick. From what I gather, he wanted it to be more of a dark drama, but what did he expect from working with his frequent collaborator, Harold Ramis?? Groundhog Day is most definitely among the list of Murray's classics, yet he still has a hard time accepting it's fanbase. It even caused a falling-out between he and Ramis....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Bill Murray is known to have strong opinions and sometimes avoid any connection to his previous films, including this one, but it amazes me that he still claims he was not pleased with this flick. From what I gather, he wanted it to be more of a dark drama, but what did he expect from working with his frequent collaborator, Harold Ramis?? Groundhog Day is most definitely among the list of Murray's classics, yet he still has a hard time accepting it's fanbase. It even caused a falling-out between he and Ramis....
    Bizarre!

There's some dark stuff in there - trying to save the old homeless guy gets me misty in the eyes - but I think Ramis & Co balanced it just right.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The Green Inferno

4/5

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    The Green Inferno

4/5
    Interesting!

I've heard very mixed things about it, although some of the negative reviews I've read seem to be coming from people who have a pre-existing dislike of Eli Roth and/or cannibal movies.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Interesting!

I've heard very mixed things about it, although some of the negative reviews I've read seem to be coming from people who have a pre-existing dislike of Eli Roth and/or cannibal movies.
    Well, if you don't like Eli Roth or gory cannibal films, don't watch it, is what I'd say to that.
    It's well made, interesting throughout, gory and has a good pace. Compared to all the other horror shit that get's produced these days, this one was a gem.
    I won't say it's stellar and awesome but I had a blast watching it. Watching naive college students faced with the horrors of survival is just so satisfying...

Watch this video before watching the film itself and you'll root for... Anyone but the god damn kids.

That spoiled little brat is yelling at a professor who won't ban Pocahontas costumes during Halloween which the student considers offensive.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 07-Feb-2016 at 11:48 AM. Reason: lkuyuiy

Ireland
    It's a relatively poor copy of 'Cannibal Holocaust'/'Cannibal Ferox' with "characters" that you'd want to die from the very beginning. But, if you go in not expecting too much, there's definitely enjoyment to be had. The gore effects are quite good too, but it's not what I would consider a "gore film", in the old fashioned sense anyway. It's major problem is that it's trying too hard to emulate something that was spontaneous and accidental 35 years ago.

It's basically Roth nicking a premise from 1980 and making a "new" film for teenagers now. My blocker is that I seen all the films that Roth has as well. It's the same issue I have with Tarrantino. I've watched all the same shitty films he did when I was a kid.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ned - haha, yes, all those 'safe spacers' and uber-PC nutjobs in their bubble-wrapped existences where they are perpetually offended by everything on the behalf of other people. They seek out offence, and when they can't legitimately find it, they concoct it. Likewise, all those hashtag protesters and 'look at how caring I am' folks, can jog on.

So there'll be fun to be had watching a bunch of those sorts getting munched on by some cannibals, muahahahaaaaa!

I do think there's a fair criticism if every character is an asshole - you need to have a range of feelings for the protagonists ideally, or find something in them that appeals, or at least makes you root for them. Cabin Fever worked well, some characters made asshole/selfish decisions, but they weren't dickheads (and some of those decisions were totally sensible given the context) ... Hostel, on the other hand, swung too much towards asshole territory. I got the point that Roth was making about American 'brosephs' who go abroad to essentially abuse other countries for their own vices, but up-front it was just a smidge too much. Over all I think it works, and having dug through the commentaries for the two Hostel films I found more to like about them as time has gone on, and you see more of the intentions that were somewhat sidelined by the headline-grabbing sex and violence.

I've heard this thing about 'characters you hate' for The Green Inferno, so I suppose it just comes down to personal taste/endurance for such characters. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing The Green Inferno, even if it might be overly familiar with the likes of Cannibal Holocaust/Ferox as others have suggested, so I'll give it a watch sometime.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    You definetly don't hate all the characters. But there's some that make you roll their eyes and there's one in particular that's an asshole and to a certain extent almost a bit villainous... Which doesn't really fit.
    But overall, they just feel like naive kids. They're not assholes at all.

Ireland
    'I.D.'

5/10

'King Kong' (1976)

5/10

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'I.D.'

5/10

'King Kong' (1976)

5/10
    If you give the 1976 Kong that sort of score, you need to see King Kong Lives - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091344/

Truly diabolical film!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I really only give it that because I sort of enjoyed it. It's like a big budget bad movie. Some of Jessica Lange's dialogue is stunning and not in a good way.

It's really rather awful, but enjoyable, nonetheless + it has a great 70's "big film" feel and a good score. 'King Kong Lives' is just boring though.

Whatever about Kong and no matter how many times they try to remake it, they'll just never beat the original 1933 film. It's a film that just belongs in the 30's.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Whatever about Kong and no matter how many times they try to remake it, they'll just never beat the original 1933 film. It's a film that just belongs in the 30's.
    Agreed with this. The concept itself is anachronistic. It's an adventure film, really and today there's no such thing as "mysterious islands" anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Captain Philips, 4/5.
    I enjoyed it. I had no idea it was based on a true story either so I didn't know which way it was gonna go.