Page 62 of 173 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    Seeking a friend for the end of the world. 9/10
    I always find myself caught up in Dodge (Steve Carell) & Penny's (Keira Knightley )sentimental journey across America; to make amends and reconnect with past love before the world ends.

The Mist. 10/10
    Just watched this yesterday and it is still a solid bit of cinema on every level, Guerrilla filmmaking at it's best. Stephen King was happy with how Frank Darabont his novella, and I still find it terrifying to this day. Excellent work.

30 Days of Night. 8/10
    I've just started to re-watch this one, But as I remember from before the last portion of the movie did not quite measure up to the exciting and terrifying cat and mouse interplay between the last few human survivors and the gang of vampires.
    1) I rather enjoyed it too! Melancholly, but in a good way, and an interesting alternative take on a world-ending event - rather than a boat load of CGI splashing about, it's just a small character study amidst a huge event.

2) Terrifying - absolutely - the split in the store, led by that zealot woman, is extremely disturbing. It was quite an unsettling experience, which is testament to King's story and Darabont's execution of that story on screen. I dug the ending, too.

3) I never got on with that flick. I've seen it once, but it just annoyed me throughout when I saw it several years ago. I might give it a second chance to see if I see it in a different light, but yeah, I wasn't a fan in the slightest bit when I originally watched it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    "Saving Mr. Banks"

The story of Walt Disney attempting to purchase the rights to Mary Poppins, but the author is less than enthused at the prospect of a Disney adaptation of her book. Great performances from all involved, especially Tom Hanks as Disney, and an all around heart warming film. It even includes some pretty heavy subject matter related to addiction, which is surprising for a film surrounding Disney. 7/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Black Hawk Down - 8.5/10

This was like my fifth viewing of it - and it's still a ruddy good film. Some of the foreshadowing early on is a little heavy, but then again it does tie supporting characters you might easily get confused/forget about to their fate. Pretty gruelling at times, as well as tense, thrilling, and shocking.

Barry Lyndon - 7/10

I have to admit I've only just got around to seeing this lesser-known Kubrick film (as in, sandwiched between A Clockwork Orange and The Shining, it doesn't really get much press or recognition). It's a bit too long, to be honest, and it's terribly stiff and upright at times, but it is beautifully photographed with sumptuous design. The climactic duel was an extraordinarily good scene, but it does feel affected by the fallout from A Clockwork Orange - you can feel Kubrick rowing back wildly in a totally opposite direction from ACO, and it feels like he went a bit too far and lost some of his bite.

It was a bit of a chore to begin with, but eventually you get into the groove. I've never been interested in that period of history, though, so I my reaction to the film was a bit mixed. I rather liked some things about it, and there were other aspects I was less fond of.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    "Saving Mr. Banks"

The story of Walt Disney attempting to purchase the rights to Mary Poppins, but the author is less than enthused at the prospect of a Disney adaptation of her book. Great performances from all involved, especially Tom Hanks as Disney, and an all around heart warming film. It even includes some pretty heavy subject matter related to addiction, which is surprising for a film surrounding Disney. 7/10
    I watched this a while ago, just giving it a shot based on Tom Hanks being in it (I've little to no interest in Mary Poppins, or similar Disney output), but I thought Saving Mr Banks was a good flick - good character study, and a look behind the scenes of the filmmaking world.

Ireland
    'Coherence'

8.5/10

'Don't Blink'

4/10

'Edge of Tomorrow'

8.5/10

'Ex Machina'

9.5/10

'Hardcore'

8.5/10

'Horrible Bosses'

7/10

'Dogma'

4/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

'Ex Machina'

9.5/10
    Saw this one in the theater. Loved it so much.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'Hardcore'

8.5/10
    Hardcore Henry?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    RE: The Mist - agreed! One of my all time favorite horror films. Darabont really "got" the horror and it was this flick that gave me so much faith in him handling TWD, which his pilot very much delivered on. I can't wait to see Darabont play around in the horror genre again! Easily one of the best horror directors alive.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Saw this one in the theater. Loved it so much.
    Yeh, it's a great film. The pay off is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Hardcore Henry?
    Ya dirty old goat.

Actually, it's the Paul Schrader film from 1979.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_%281979_film%29

Ireland
    'The Hunger Games' -> 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt 2'

8/10

Surprisingly entertaining and something that caught me rather by surprise. Watched them all in one day and was pleasantly engaged by the intelligently played out politcial themes and the brutal dystopian nature of the film's future setting. Some of the knicker wetter girly "who will she end up with" female fantasy is pretty bad and terribly childish, I have to say, but it doesn't overwhelm the series.

Over all, if this is an example of teen fiction, then it's leaps and bounds ahead of what was around in my day.

Super Moderator

UK
    Dredd - 9.5/10

Third viewing last night. Ridiculously good fun! I dearly hope they can eventually get a sequel made with Urban as Dredd (perhaps with Garland writing and directing, after the success of Ex Machina) ... but the chances have likely gone fairly cold over the last couple of years. It'd be great if, perhaps, Deadpool's success might inspire a little heat under 'Dredd 2' ... we can but dream.

Ireland
    A.I.

8/10

Badge 373

5/10

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Deadpool: wall-to-wall over the top violence, hilarious dialogue, gore, great leading character(Reynolds was born for this), mulitple references to nerd culture that totally work.

Can't recommend this one enough. Just don't be one of those idiotic parents that think it's safe for kids...

Super Moderator

UK
    Cop Car - 7/10

A stripped back kind of thriller. Good turn from Kevin Bacon, and the contrast between two boys messing around on their own (they steal a mysteriously abandoned cop car) and two grown men facing off makes for some interesting themes and comparisons. Worth checking out.

UK
    Deadpool 10/10
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Super Moderator

UK
    Knock Knock - 6/10

Eli Roth's home invasion horror/thriller. It's a very mixed film in some ways - there are moments of dialogue that really work (e.g. the family stuff at the beginning of the movie), while there are moments of dialogue that crash land awkwardly (like the infamous "free pizza!" speech). Generally the film feels like the script needed a couple more drafts to polish proceedings - certain elements are played too subtly, while others are too blunt, and while you don't need to root for a good guy in a movie you at least need to root for somebody - and there's nobody to really root for here, which is a bit frustrating.

One twist in the story...

in which the two ladies claim they're both underage is just weird as both actresses are clearly adults, so when it's revealed they were just torturing him with that possibility you sit there going "yeah, I knew that already" having figured that out the instant they suggested it earlier in the film.

And another thing about the set up...

The 'one hour seduction into a three way' element doesn't really ring true, either - here's this happily married family man, and he gives in so easily? The early suggestion that he might be a bit flirty with other women just isn't strong enough to justify such a quick about-turn on his entire life. Yeah, he pines for his DJ'ing youth and doesn't want to cut his hair - but is that really such a massive mid-life crisis to cause him to leap into bed with two complete strangers? And without a johnny on, to boot!

Some scenes could use a little work - a 'keep away' moment just seems a bit daft, and Keanu Reeves' character - despite being an architect - is at times wilfully stupid. So it's a mixed bag - at times it works great, and the central idea works well and is appropriately chilling/disturbing, but the script and execution needed more drafts and a few tweaks. A few moments aside, I thought Reeves did a good job in the flick, the two young women handle the 'scary seductress' thing quite well, and the viewer is made to feel sufficiently 'invaded' by the end of the movie ... but you're left thinking afterwards about certain plot holes or stupid moves or plot twists that didn't quite carry.