Page 63 of 173 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

Phase IV

3/5. A strange film about two scientists who are out to investigate a seemingly intelligent colony of ants in the middle of the Arizona desert. Turns out they underestimate the ants.
    It was a very visual experience. I'd say about one quarter of the film takes place on "ant level", with microscoping photography of ants doing stuff. And they're doing pretty advanced stuff. There's several scenes of ants directed to doing fairly complex things - like attacking mantis', burying and mourning their friends or struggling with a poisoneus dust particle in order to evovle a resistance to it. Wow. Yeah. It was special alright. In the end it's semi-apocalyptic and very 70's psychadelic. But it also has flaws. Beyond the main plot, there's not much to be had. It's fairly short, to the point and not exciting enough for me to warrant it a higher grade. Worth a watch tho.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post

Phase IV

3/5. A strange film about two scientists who are out to investigate a seemingly intelligent colony of ants in the middle of the Arizona desert. Turns out they underestimate the ants.
    It was a very visual experience. I'd say about one quarter of the film takes place on "ant level", with microscoping photography of ants doing stuff. And they're doing pretty advanced stuff. There's several scenes of ants directed to doing fairly complex things - like attacking mantis', burying and mourning their friends or struggling with a poisoneus dust particle in order to evovle a resistance to it. Wow. Yeah. It was special alright. In the end it's semi-apocalyptic and very 70's psychadelic. But it also has flaws. Beyond the main plot, there's not much to be had. It's fairly short, to the point and not exciting enough for me to warrant it a higher grade. Worth a watch tho.
    It's what I would classify as a thinking person's film; sort of like the original Andromeda Strain or 2001. A great favorite of mine from way back; so I'd score it an even 5/5 just for the sheer novelty of the story.

Ireland
    Love that film.

Saw it when I was a kid on Moviedrome (any of you Brits remember that? ) years ago and thought it was one of the oddest pictures I'd seen, although I was only young.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Moviedrome (any of you Brits remember that? )
    Yep, I remember Moviedrome ... that goes way back now ... I remember that was where I first saw Alien 3 and The Fly. I recall an advert for a new series of it on BBC2 featured "Breathe" by The Prodigy. One of those little moments from your childhood that just lodge in your mind.

Administrator

England

Phase IV

Classic flick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuhgBvOWb_k
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    'Looks and Smiles'

6.5/10

Ireland
    'Contamination'

4/10

10/10 for the Goblin score.

Super Moderator

UK
    'Contamination'

4/10

10/10 for the Goblin score.
    The first and third acts are great with lots of atmosphere and exploding gut action going on - it's the middle act that suffers with a lot of plodding about - but it's a fun flick. I got the Arrow Video Blu-Ray a while ago and quite enjoyed it.

Ireland
    Yeh, I have the Arrow blu. Really like that crowd and they have great customer service too, if they bugger things up, which they did with 'Zombie Flesh Eaters' and 'The Beyond'.

It's one of those films that's difficult to dislike for some reason, despite the draggy middle which really pulls the score down. Doesn't make a lick of sense and people do the most idiotic things, but it's still really watchable? And I actually think the alien at the end is great, even if Luigi thought it was pants.

It's amazing how forgiving you can be with some films and absolutely fascist with others.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I love Contamination. Those eggs. What the fuck were they thinking...

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeh, I have the Arrow blu. Really like that crowd and they have great customer service too, if they bugger things up, which they did with 'Zombie Flesh Eaters' and 'The Beyond'.

It's one of those films that's difficult to dislike for some reason, despite the draggy middle which really pulls the score down. Doesn't make a lick of sense and people do the most idiotic things, but it's still really watchable? And I actually think the alien at the end is great, even if Luigi thought it was pants.

It's amazing how forgiving you can be with some films and absolutely fascist with others.
    Fortunately I've not experienced any disc problems, but have heard of the odd thing in the past. The recent one was the cock up with "Shivers" (it was missing various moments of violence, a few seconds here, a couple of seconds there) - but they recently put up a replacement disc program for that. I heard about "The Beyond" having the error with the black & white intro rather than the sepia tone one, but fortunately that was already fixed on my copy (the steelbook edition, which had the replacement disc as it was a re-release). What was the error with Zombie Flesh Eaters? I got that over Christmas, but I'm pretty sure it was a re-release.

Contamination - yeah, despite it's various flaws, it's just so gleefully fun. Likewise, I quite liked the look of the alien - it's just so damn creepy and weird looking, even if it broke on set and couldn't do anywhere near as much as it was intended to do.

I think in the end it's all about heart and expectation - the latter from you, the viewer, and the former from the filmmaker. Sometimes a film can be shit and it really should have been far better (i.e. no excuses regarding budget or stars etc, they just made a complete hash of it), whereas you can have one of these B-Movies and there's real love and care put into them, even if they're not necessarily always capable of pulling off what they want to achieve. There's always big ideas and intentions on the part of the filmmakers (particularly with a big film buff like Luigi Cozzi - you could see how much passion he had (and still has) for Contamination on that Arrow Video Blu-Ray), and they're always up against it (budget constraints particularly), but there was always good craft behind them, even if they didn't always pull it off. Sometimes you get real trash, but a lof of those classic Italian exploitationers of the 70s and 80s are brilliant - even the flawed ones have something to deserve some solid kudos. Sure, they had plenty of hacks in their time, too, but those films generally sunk away - many of the ones that have found new life (e.g. with Arrow Video releases) really deserve their time in the sun.

Plus, there's just something so infectious about that era and style of filmmaking. When you've got one of these 'intentionally shit' films, I really don't like them - it feels totally disingenuous and flat-out lazy (I'm looking at you "The Asylum") ... only a handful are worth bothering with. There's a fine line, something like "Zombeavers" really works, while all these "Sharknado" type movies generally irritate me. The difference there is, is that those filmmakers aren't trying to make a good film - they're deliberately making garbage - whereas these B-Movies, like Contamination or Zombie Flesh Eaters, were made by people with genuine talent who often cared quite deeply about what they were making despite the limitations they faced.

I love Contamination. Those eggs. What the fuck were they thinking...
    Weren't they olives (on a scale model) for that big shot inside the alien cave?

Great Britain
    Blue Ruin http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2359024/ Really enjoyed this hapless revenge flick 7/10, can't wait so see Jeremy Saulnier follow up Green Room http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4062536/?ref_=nm_knf_i3
    Last edited by paranoid101; 24-Apr-2016 at 06:33 PM. Reason: added score

Super Moderator

UK
    Bad Words - 7/10

I was quite surprised by this one, I enjoyed it quite a lot. Went into it not expecting much, or anything in particular actually, and rather enjoyed it. Not a great film, nor uproarious, but a solid flick.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Fortunately I've not experienced any disc problems, but have heard of the odd thing in the past. The recent one was the cock up with "Shivers" (it was missing various moments of violence, a few seconds here, a couple of seconds there) - but they recently put up a replacement disc program for that. I heard about "The Beyond" having the error with the black & white intro rather than the sepia tone one, but fortunately that was already fixed on my copy (the steelbook edition, which had the replacement disc as it was a re-release). What was the error with Zombie Flesh Eaters? I got that over Christmas, but I'm pretty sure it was a re-release.
    It was missing a couple of milliseconds at the very beginning. It's a really bizzare flaw. I never gave a crap, but some people on the Cult Labs forum went into melt down, expecially after the misfire with 'The Beyond'.

Arrow offered to send out replacement discs to everyone. I'd say that between the problem with 'The Beyond' and 'Zombie Flesh Eaters', they lost a shit ton of shillings. These issues were only on the first run discs. But it's made me wary of being first in the queue for their releases, I have to say, even though I love what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Contamination - yeah, despite it's various flaws, it's just so gleefully fun. Likewise, I quite liked the look of the alien - it's just so damn creepy and weird looking, even if it broke on set and couldn't do anywhere near as much as it was intended to do.

I think in the end it's all about heart and expectation - the latter from you, the viewer, and the former from the filmmaker. Sometimes a film can be shit and it really should have been far better (i.e. no excuses regarding budget or stars etc, they just made a complete hash of it), whereas you can have one of these B-Movies and there's real love and care put into them, even if they're not necessarily always capable of pulling off what they want to achieve. There's always big ideas and intentions on the part of the filmmakers (particularly with a big film buff like Luigi Cozzi - you could see how much passion he had (and still has) for Contamination on that Arrow Video Blu-Ray), and they're always up against it (budget constraints particularly), but there was always good craft behind them, even if they didn't always pull it off. Sometimes you get real trash, but a lof of those classic Italian exploitationers of the 70s and 80s are brilliant - even the flawed ones have something to deserve some solid kudos. Sure, they had plenty of hacks in their time, too, but those films generally sunk away - many of the ones that have found new life (e.g. with Arrow Video releases) really deserve their time in the sun.

Plus, there's just something so infectious about that era and style of filmmaking. When you've got one of these 'intentionally shit' films, I really don't like them - it feels totally disingenuous and flat-out lazy (I'm looking at you "The Asylum") ... only a handful are worth bothering with. There's a fine line, something like "Zombeavers" really works, while all these "Sharknado" type movies generally irritate me. The difference there is, is that those filmmakers aren't trying to make a good film - they're deliberately making garbage - whereas these B-Movies, like Contamination or Zombie Flesh Eaters, were made by people with genuine talent who often cared quite deeply about what they were making despite the limitations they faced.
    I've only seen a couple of Asylum pictures and remember just one.

I remember that it was utter shite.

This business of pretending to be a so-bad-it's-good film is truly lamentable as it misses the point of those type of films. That kind of vibe is arrived at completely by accident, not design. It's a dubious charm that comes out of a certain incompetence, budgetary constraints, bad luck or whatever you're having yourself.

What's more annoying are the wankers that are watching these Asylum films and missing the point too. People laughing at 'Sharknado' and thinking they have a certain trash film cache are blissfully unaware of real trash superstars like '2019: After the Fall of New York' or 'Rats: Night of Terror'. I'll throw 'Zombie Creeping Flesh' in there for good measure too.

I don't place 'Contamination' in with that lot though as it has a different edge. While it shares some of the charms of those films, largely because it was made in the same era, it's a different kettle of fish, as it were.

I agree with you, that those 70's/80's spaghetti exploitationers are a lot of fun, most of the time. But there are only a few that are really worth repeat viewings and a lot have some really dull parts in them too. There often more fun to talk about than to sit through.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    What's more annoying are the wankers that are watching these Asylum films and missing the point too. People laughing at 'Sharknado' and thinking they have a certain trash film cache are blissfully unaware of real trash superstars like '2019: After the Fall of New York' or 'Rats: Night of Terror'. I'll throw 'Zombie Creeping Flesh' in there for good measure too.
    Oh the depths to which trash cinema has sunk long before the times of Bruno Mattei and his crew.

I'd like to say that the absolute worst film I've ever seen is probably a little "gem" called Zombie Lake. Not counting Manos: Hands of Fate of course...