Page 65 of 173 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Super Moderator

UK
    The Duke of Burgundy - 8/10

From the writer/director of Berberian Sound Studio (Peter Strickland), and an homage to the films of Jess Franco. Kinda weird at times, but there's a reason for everything. Beautifully filmed with an intriguing story. I wasn't sure if I'd dig it, after hearing mixed reviews about it (some of which were from rather perplexed viewers), but having quite enjoyed Berberian Sound Studio (which was an homage to the giallo movement), this ended up being quite enjoyable. In some ways it was a stronger outing than BSS.

Ireland
    'Alien Nation'

6.5/10

'Hail, Caesar'

8.5/10

'The Boy'

4/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Maggie - 6.5/10

My thoughts on it are much like most others' - great to see Arnie chew on some dramatic meat for a change (he does a good job, he stretches himself beyond his comfort zone), but the film overall is a bit overly dour. A little bit of tonal balancing would have been nice - a few more light-hearted moments (I don't mean silly slapstick or nudge-wink crassness or smart-arse meta-gags) would have given the film a bit more variety, because it does get rather gloomy. It's a very interesting spin on typical zombie fare, and you can really feel the emotion of it - but it does mope around a lot. Interestingly, the director did the opening titles for The Walking Dead - so the film looks great. So, a solid 6.5/10 from me. If the tone had been a bit more balanced and it had not felt so constantly heavy-going throughout it would have been an 8/10. Still very much worth checking out, mind you!

Was anyone else a bit unclear as to why Maggie went to the city at the start? I assume I missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'Hail, Caesar'

8.5/10
    I'm quite looking forward to seeing that one!

Ireland
    Yeh, it's very good.

I'm a bit hit and miss sometimes with the Coens, but they're on form here. There's not an awful lot of story going on, but there's a lot of fun to be had.

Super Moderator

UK
    Robot and Frank - 7.5/10

Thoroughly enjoyed this one. At times quite poignant, but also rather funny throughout. A very nifty concept, and the 'near future' was impressive in how subtle it all was for the most part (it looked very believable).

John Wick - 9/10

A second spin on this one. It kicks arse - that Red Circle club sequence is just fantastic. Really looking forward to a sequel!

Ireland
    'Batman vs Superman'

6/10

Not half as bad as some have made out. It's quite hysterical how venomous some people have been towards this film. Truly bizarre. While it's certainly not a great film (few superhero films are) it's still relatively entertaining and I actually like the whole dark take on things. The whole Doomsday ending sequence, though, could have been cut. Feels weirdly superfluous.

It kind of suffers from what the vast majority of movies suffer from these days. It's ok, but merely ok. It's par the course, pedestrian, mediocre, middle the roads.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Agreed. Batman vs Superman was enjoyable even though not remarkable.

Super Moderator

UK
    Strangers On A Train - 8/10

This has been one of those classics that I've been meaning to catch up on for quite some time. It could use a little trim here or there, but the central conceit is strong as ever, and there's some wonderful sequences throughout. Not one of my most favourite Hitchcock films (I think I'd go for Rear Window as my fave), but it's really rather good.

Platoon - 9/10

Classic. Seeing it now, compared to when I was a teenager, it's a much rougher ride than I remember. The voice over is a bit blunt at times, but man, it's an iconic flick.

Starman - 9/10

A second spin. Damn, I love this flick. I've come to it only recently (I first saw it at the tail-end of last year IIRC), but oh man, it just went right for the feels and snuggled up tight in there. Superb stuff!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

4/5

Fantastic film! I loved it! The soundtrack was fantastic.

Ireland
    'X Men - First Class'

8/10

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Captain America: Civil War

A very enjoyable flick, but like most all of Marvel's films thus far, it fails to have any real depth or consequences. Most certainly MILES ahead of the first CA film, which I felt was nothing more than a two hour toy advertisement, but I really don't understand how this received such glowing reviews as if it were the best movie of the year, yet it's just more of the same from Marvel's Avengers lineup. Not that it's a bad thing. They found a nice little niche and are playing it safe by staying comfortably in the same spot, only ever really taking chances on things like Guardians of the Galaxy or Daredevil. The inclusion of Antman and Spiderman are proubably the biggest stand out moments. In the end it's an enjoyable film, but suffers from some of the same flaws as DC's Batman V Superman.

Marvel's Daredevil

Now THIS is how Marvel needs to approach some more of their films. Think outside of their box and take some more chances. Even with only two seasons currently available, this is an absolutely fantastic TV series that I can't wait to see more of. Including the recently-announced Punisher series starring Jon "Shane" Bernthal. If you have Netflix but haven't given this show a chance, I suggest you remedy that ASAP.
    Last edited by bassman; 22-May-2016 at 02:05 AM. Reason: .

Ireland
    'Zootopia'

8/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Trainwreck - 6/10

Took a while to get into it, but it was pretty funny at various points. I'm not really that bothered about Amy Schumer - sometimes she's quite funny, other times not the slightest bit, so I'm not really here nor there on her comedy. Cena and LeBron James (I don't particularly know who either of them are, except that they're in sports ) were very funny, and I'm a big fan of Bill Hader. So, decent, but I doubt I'll revisit it.

Full Metal Jacket - 10/10

I've seen this several times, but I fancied another viewing after having read Michael Herr's "Dispatches" (Herr co-wrote the screenplay for FMJ). What is there to say? It's a classic.

Ireland
    'The Sinful Dwarf'

3/10

Classic sleaze job that loses any oomph after the first 30 minutes and just becomes boring.

Ireland
    'Predator'

9/10

'Predator 2'

7/10

'Aliens vs Predator'

5/10

'Aliens vs Predator: Requiem'

4/10

'Prometheus'

2/10

'Alien'

10/10

'Aliens'

10/10

'Alien 3'

8/10

'Alien Ressurection'

2/10

The Alien franchise is a perfect example of a franchise that's tent poled by a couple of truly superb films and supported by a decent second sequel, while all around there are sub par products leeching off the success and stinking up the whole show.

They just really need to let it die now.

It's like someone who married a old millionaire and is keeping them on life support until the inheritance comes in.