Page 66 of 173 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116166 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Super Moderator

UK
    Filmed In Supermarionation - 7.5/10

Documentary on the various Gerry Anderson puppet shows like Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet. A fascinating look at the history of how it all came to be and, ultimately, passed into the history books.

Drew: The Man Behind The Poster - 8.5/10

Documentary all about Drew Struzan, best known for his years of astonishingly great movie posters. Highly recommended viewing. Very warm, funny, and interesting, with Struzan coming across as a genuinely nice dude.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'Aliens vs Predator'

5/10

'Aliens vs Predator: Requiem'

4/10

'Prometheus'

2/10
    AvP and AvP:R better than Prometheus?! Don't talk bollocks, shoot!

I really dug Prometheus. Looking forward to Alien: Covenant, too (and fingers crossed for Blomkamp's Aliens sequel).

AvP and especially AvP:R were hideous in the extreme. Proper turds, so they were ... real fetid ones with a crust forming on the top and flies buzzing around it as it lies there in a pool of suspect fluids behind an abandoned building in the sketchiest part of town. Every time I catch a snippet or two of AvP:R when it flops onto television I sit there astounded by how dreadful it is.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 09-Jun-2016 at 06:27 PM.

Ireland
    'Prometheus' is one of the dumbest pictures I've seen. I've tried really hard to like it. That was my third watch. But it's bloody thick. There are too many doh moments in it. Run left or right Charlize! Seriously girl, left or...oh.

'Alien vs Predator' and its sequel are sort of guilty pleasures, I'll have to admit. Entertaining B movies with no tricks up their sleeve. 'Alien vs Predator' does have a terribly annoying lead performance though.

I was expecting more from 'Prometheus' when I first went to see it and came away thinking that it contained some of the most stupid things I seen in a Ridley Scott film. I expected nothing from the AvPs and got a modicum of entertainment.

Sure, isn't the a world a mad place altogether!
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Ireland
    'Cell'

4/10

Film adaptation of Stephen King's novel. It suffers from what the vast majority of films suffer from these days. It's flat, mediocre, tame and contains zero talking points. It simply ends up jut being ok.

Like everything to do with King, read the book.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me

A fantastic documentary on this criminally underrated band from the 70's and 80's. They received huge critical success but some how never got the commercial success they deserved. Only now do people see how great the band was and this documentary also covers this and the band's influence on many, many famous musicians today.

Highly recommended for any music doc enthusiasts or music fans in general. Currently on instant Netflix. 9/10

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    'Prometheus' is one of the dumbest pictures I've seen. I've tried really hard to like it. That was my third watch. But it's bloody thick. There are too many doh moments in it. Run left or right Charlize! Seriously girl, left or...oh..

I agree. I wanted to love Prometheus and thought everything about the hype was great. I enjoyed it at the cinemas, but have since rewatched it twice. I've come to realize how utterly stupid that film is. It is extremely poorly written, there's exposition and actions shoehorned into every scene and the film only makes sense if you accept that everyone in it is mentally retarded - which just makes it even more confusing as that would seem like an odd bunch to send on a space mission.

Anyway;

The Fantastic Mr Fox - 3/5

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - 4/5

I was on a Wes Anderson quiz night on saturday and got so nostalgic over his films that I wanted to see some of them. I hadn't seen The Fantastic Mr Fox before. I enjoyed it. A delightful piece. Fun and playful. In the end it's nothing exceptional, even though I had a good time with it.

The Life Aquatic is another matter. It's probably my favorite Wes Anderson film. Fantastic combination of sets, music, acting, humour and emotional depth makes this film one of the most fun and sad films out there. I'm glad I rewatched it if for no other reason than to remind myself of how fantastic it is.

Lawless - 2/5

What was the point of this film? The plot is kinda dull and the storytelling is surprisingly clumsy for being more or less a straightforward hollywood piece. Shia LeBouf's character has a voice over thing going, but it chimes in only three times I think, making me forget that it's there whenever it resurfaces. It's got an odd perspective and in the end the film doesn't really serve any purpose. I think they could have cut a lot of stuff out and end up with a better product.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    The Fantastic Mr Fox - 3/5

Lawless - 2/5

What was the point of this film? The plot is kinda dull and the storytelling is surprisingly clumsy for being more or less a straightforward hollywood piece. Shia LeBouf's character has a voice over thing going, but it chimes in only three times I think, making me forget that it's there whenever it resurfaces. It's got an odd perspective and in the end the film doesn't really serve any purpose. I think they could have cut a lot of stuff out and end up with a better product.
    What did you make of The Grand Budapest Hotel? A couple of years ago there seemed to be a rush on Wes Anderson films and all of his flicks turned up on different telly channels here, so I was able to catch up really quick on his filmography. Yes, "The Fantastic Mr Fox" is a charming piece of filmmaking and animation, isn't it? I've seen that one a couple of times, likewise with The Grand Budapest Hotel (Ralph Fiennes is an absolute delight in that film!), and I've very much enjoyed his other films.

Lawless - yeah, I was looking forward to it (saw it a year or so ago when it rolled onto Film 4), but it left me quite cold. It didn't really hook me in. I wanted to like it, and it looked like exactly the sort of thing I'd enjoy - and there were aspects of it I enjoyed - but I'm hard-pushed to remember anything much about the film now. Yeah, unfortunately it was a bit of a disappointment.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 13-Jun-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I thought the Grand Budapest Hotel was a fantastic film. It's certainly as stylistically Wes Anderson as it comes but I loved the journey that it offered me. Wes Anderson always weaves a humorous and heartwarming tale and that was no exception. It also features an excess of interesting and likeable characters.
    If I had to say something bad about it, it's that it's more of a fairytale than most of his previous films. The best Wes Anderson films are dark comedies with a lot of heart - but there's very little emotional depth to GBH. It's more of an adventure film. But I liked it.

Ireland
    The only bad thing I can say about 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' was that the shifting aspect ratio drove me up the fecking wall.

- - - Updated - - -

'The Firm'

8/10

Gary Oldman and a bunch of yet to be 'Eastenders' actors get tooled up for some 80's footie ultraviolence.

- - - Updated - - -

'Enter the Dragon'

9/10

The only Bruce Lee/chop socky film I can sit through and a brilliant one at that. Ridiculous, stupid, OTT, but hard not to enjoy.

'Repo Man'

10/10

Alex Cox's 1980's punky, weird ass, unconventional, watchamacallit. One of a kind. Should be seen at least once by everyone.

Ireland
    'Future Shock! The Story of 2000AD'

10/10

'Elstree 1976'

4/10

Super Moderator

UK
    'Future Shock! The Story of 2000AD'

10/10
    I'm not versed in 2000AD, but obviously I'm aware of it, so that documentary was highly informative and quite good fun - but it was also heartbreaking at times - hearing stories of how original artwork was being thrown away or, even worse, being used to mop up spilled tea and water leaks! Extraordinary!

Ireland
    I used to read it in the 80's. I loved it.

Looking at who made the stories and why shed some light on why it appealed to me and US comics never did. 2000AD was all gloomy. It was tough. A very British view of the future, especially Dredd. An extreme right winger, anti hero, in a dystopian future. The writers and artists of Dredd were saying, this is not a future to aspire to. It was a warning.

While American comics had heroes fighting against obvious crime, for the "American way" and all that cobblers, Britain had comic characters that made you question what the hell was going on and also question the motives of the characters that were central to the story.

This was all before comics grew up too. Without 2000AD, I doubt the comic/graphic novel landscape would look like it does now.

Ireland
    'Predators'

2/10

A travesty on the original.

Great Britain
    Batman v Superman 4/10

The Green Room really enjoy this one, hardcore to the end 9/10

Hardcore Henry 4/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Vacation - 6/10

Some of the more 'modern' style of jokes don't quite sit right with the other elements that are more nostalgic for the original films, but I did like that it wasn't just a remake, but a sequel. It kind of had its cake and ate it, too.

Not uproariously funny, and some of the gags are quite base level (poo, and a giant knob, for instance), but there were some other gags that really worked. It felt like it could have gone a little further, tightened itself up here and there, you know, just needed a little bit more finessing, but I enjoyed it. In some ways, the funniest bit was the opening titles with the embarrassing family holiday photos accompanied by "Holiday Road".

Super Moderator

UK
    Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse - 6/10

Inconsistently funny, doesn't quite do enough with the scouting angle in relation to the zombie apocalypse, but distracting enough for 89 minutes. There's a couple of good gross out gags in there that made me laugh out loud, and some entertaining gore moments ... but it doesn't really go far enough with the concept. Good running gag with David Koechner's scout leader, though.