Page 70 of 173 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120170 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    He's son of Mr Niki basically. ie: It's founder I believe... So I suspect if Travis needed some financing to get the studio up, I suspect he had a good backer

A friend of mine is on the BAFTA reviewers board so I get to see things from time to time... Tomorrow is Ron Howards new Beatles flick, complete with Ron Howard
    Wow, cool! Well I hope you have fun and all. That's pretty awesome. Ah, yeah, Nike, right... Wow. Well yep, there you go.

Administrator

England
    "Eight Days A Week" - Documentary by Ron Howard about the "tour years" of the Beatles...

Was lucky enough to see this last night at BAFTA, with Ron Howard doing a Q&A afterwards.

The documentary was very uplifting and interesting. At about 2h20m it never very slow and went along at a very nice pace. All in all a very good watch for anyone interested in music history or any sort of admiration for this amazing band!

ps: Ron Howard was great too!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    "Eight Days A Week" - Documentary by Ron Howard about the "tour years" of the Beatles...

Was lucky enough to see this last night at BAFTA, with Ron Howard doing a Q&A afterwards.

The documentary was very uplifting and interesting. At about 2h20m it never very slow and went along at a very nice pace. All in all a very good watch for anyone interested in music history or any sort of admiration for this amazing band!

ps: Ron Howard was great too!
    Sounds great! I'll have to recommend it to my dad. He's a big Beatles fan.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Sounds great! I'll have to recommend it to my dad. He's a big Beatles fan.
    I'm sure he'll love it...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    'Killer Fish'

3/10

Pretty awful (but at the same time entertaining for what it is) Italian ripoff of 'Piranha', which was ripping off 'Jaws'. So that makes it a rip off of a rip off, or something. A team of jewel thieves lead by not Charlton Heston (James Franciscus) hide their stash in a dam near a holiday resort. He fills it with piranha just for good measure and scoffing ensues. Also staring in this master piece by Anthony M Dawson (ahem...Antonio Margheriti) is the Six Million Dollar Man, poor old tragic Margaux Hemingway and odd looking (by still doable) Karen Black. Roy Brocksmith plays a fat guy. Guess what happens.

'Frankenstein Island'

0/10

A film that makes 'Killer Fish' look like a 10/10 magnum opus. I don't even know where to start. A muddled "story", made for 6 quid and a round of drinks down the local, about the descendant of Frankenstein trying to save a 200 year old Van Helsing on an island inhabited by sexy space girls with Californian accents. Several balloonists crash on this island (which presumably is in the middle of nowhere) and spend the rest of the film trying to get off. If ever there was a film made by someone who just didn't give a tinkers cuss what ended up on the screen, it's this. Mad stuff altogether. Among the cast is Cameron Mitchel, who was repenting for his tax dodging sins in the 60's and 70's and John Carradine who was just in everything anyway. "The Power...the Power..."
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    Zoltan... Hound of Dracula (a.k.a. Dracula's Dog)

Weird movie, to say the least. Instead of following a story involving Dracula himself, this time we follow what happens to one of Dracula's servants and his dog. The dog is a vampire (he gets bitten by Dracula while in his bat form), and when he bites other dogs they become vampire-dogs who then do his bidding! Another weird tid-bit: you would expect that in such an obscure 1970s horror b-movie there would be no very well-known actors, but the movie actually features Oscar-winner actor Jose Ferrer as the police inspector who is tracking down Dracula's servant.

Ireland
    /\

I remember that. It felt like that film used to be on BBC1 or 2 every couple of months in the 80's.

God awful stuff.

Administrator

England
    Don't Breath - Nice small location shocker: 7.5/10
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hush:

I took a chance on this flick on Netflix, basically expecting it to be horrible like most of netflix's horror selection, but truthfully I was very pleasantly surprised! It's almost your typical stalker/killer story, only the main character is alone, deaf, and mute. It's a strong white-knuckler and I highly recommend it! 8/10

Super Moderator

UK
    In The Heart of the Sea - 7/10

Better than I thought it was going to be. It's the telling of the story that inspired "Moby Dick", and features the likes of Chris Hemsworth and Tom Holland, but also has a supporting role played by Frank Dillane (Nick in Fear The Walking Dead).

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The Heat and The Hangover 2.

2/5 all around.

Although I was entertained.

Ireland
    'The Grey'

9.5/10

A brilliant adventure that feels ripped out of the 70's. No nonsense yarn that's gripping from beginning to its ambiguous end with a few truly tragic screen deaths along the way.

'Chopper'

9/10

An excellent Eric Bana as "Australia's most notorious criminal" and all round headcase. There are some real strange laughs to be had in this film, despite the awful nature of the main character and the situations he inspires and finds himself in.

'The Importance of Being Earnest'

10/10

The best and only film version of Wilde's play anyone should ever bother with, including a number of character defining performances that have shaped stage productions ever since.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Alien and Aliens, shown as a double feature at the cinema in town.

Alien, 5/5
    Excellent design and storytelling. I find it very slow these days, since I've seen it like 10 times but as a stand-alone film it's flawless.

Aliens, 4/5
    A bit too heavy on the one-liners and to be honest I find Bill Paxton's character to be pretty annoying. But this is a solid, tense and suspenseful action film. Despite having seen it dozens of times, I was really at the edge of my seat...

Midway, 3/5
    A fairly accurate depiction of the battle of Midway. Tries to shy away from heroism and bravado. Pretty interesting, especially if you know a bit or two about the battle. The drawback is that the action scenes are awful. They used actual footage from gun cameras mounted on actual fighter craft druing World War 2. So the footage looks old, worn, of low quality and is definetly not shot on 35mm which I'm guessing the rest of the film is... The dogfights are wildly incoherent. Carlton Heston plays a fictional Chief of Staff with Henry Fonda, Hal Holbrook and Toshiro Mifune.

Khartoum, 3/5.
    Heston again. 1880's, A Sudanese rebel army lays siege to Khartoum, an Egyptian fort town in Sudan. Egypt is a protectorate of Britain so they send in their colonial elite (cue; Heston) to sort out the mess. Incredibly epic vistas and pictures, the stuff of which puts Lord of the Rings to shame (and without the cgi). Worth it for the scenery alone. Apart from that, it's fairly thin and straight forward affair. Lawrence Olivier sports a blackface, kinda weird...

The Propaganda Game, 3/5.
    A 2015 documentary about North Korea. Nothing new under the sun but I'm amazed at how free the documentary filmmakers seem to have been in who they get to interview, what they get to see etc, etc. Although one of their main interview subjects is a North Korean official, so I'm guessing it was some kind of co-production at least.

Ireland
    I probably like 'Midway' more than I should. But if you can look past the gaffs, it's pretty good. Apart from the aerial footage (they use Hellcats and Corsairs instead of Wildcats in some scenes, Avengers and Helldivers instead of Devastators and at one point they show an F9F Panther jet!), it's pretty enjoyable. But, it comes off like the producers didn't give a tinkers cuss what planes were shot and continuity be damned!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm surprised they included Rochefort and the decoding of AF through the fresh water ruse. He was sidelined after Midway by jealous Washington cryptoanalysts. There were really stupid rivalries in that war, all around...