Page 71 of 173 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Ireland
    Wars always bring out such nonsense. Churchill, Bader and Trafford Leigh-Mallory all conspired to have Hugh Dowding moved out of Fighter Command after the latter had basically defended Britain in 1940, all because Dowding didn't buy into Mallory's "Big Wing" gibberish. Dowding was replaced by Sholto Douglas (a "Big Wing" advocate) and wasn't even mentioned in the official records about the battle.

As for the "Big Wing", in 1941 they tried a simulation of a Luftwaffe attack and a "Big Wing" response. By the time the "Big Wing" had formed up and headed to the target, the bomber aircraft had "dropped" their load and were on their way back across the channel.

- - - Updated - - -

Had a mini horrorthon last night with the wife, starting with S07E02 of 'The Walking Dead'.

'Halloween III'

5/10

The plot is batshit crazy and like something a load of wasted teenagers would come up with, but for some reason it remains watchable. Perhaps becasue of its insanity. There's a real "whatever" shrug to 'Halloween III' that can allow you to enjoy it. But if someone is coming to this for the first time they'll probably hate it. The film looks lovely in that "John Carpenteresque" manner (it's shot by Dean Cundy) and although directed by Tommy Lee Wallace (another Carpenter collaborator) it feels like Carpenter had a lot of input.

'Lights Out'

4/10

Very average longform version of a short that floats around Youtube. The story and gimmick just isn't enought to support the running, even if it is just 80 minutes. There are some awful characters here too, but the young boy playing the...er...young boy was great. He outshined the adults. All in all a very meh film. In short...watch the short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fDzdDfviLI

'Don't Breathe'

7.5/10

One of the better 2016 efforts that utilises Detroit's rundown areas, like 'It Follows', to create a strangely compelling story of a home invasion that goes horribly wrong. With a central gimmick, that doesn't sound like it'll work, happily turning out to be quite successful.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 01-Nov-2016 at 10:05 AM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, Halloween III is a strange kind of movie, but I know exactly what you mean about that 'Carpenteresque' vibe - it slots right into that feel of his 80s flicks perfectly. It took me a long time to get around to watching it, but when I finally did I quite enjoyed it ... that jingle on the TV advert in the movie, though, good lord, talk about an ear worm!

My Halloween viewing was a double bill of "Dellamorte Dellamore" (The Cemetery Man) - a very weird, dream-like and dark fairytale of a movie from Italy and starring Rupert Everett - and The Evil Dead, for a good old dose of something familiar and decidedly awesome. Once that flick gets going it really ratchets up constantly to the point where it's pretty darn relentless for poor old Ash, they just keep popping back up. It's like plate spinning, he's constantly darting about having little fights or desperately trying to stop the deadites from getting in - like I said, relentless. I love that movie.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'Don't Breathe'

7.5/10

One of the better 2016 efforts that utilises Detroit's rundown areas, like 'It Follows', to create a strangely compelling story of a home invasion that goes horribly wrong. With a central gimmick, that doesn't sound like it'll work, happily turning out to be quite successful.
    Yeh, I quite enjoyed this little flick too!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Dracula: Dead and Loving It - 7/10

I'd seen this Mel Brook's spoof waaaaaaaaay back when (it will have been in the 1990s, come to think of it - the film was released in 1995 IIRC), so I'd totally forgotten everything about it. It was recently reviewed as part of Cinemassacre's "Monster Madness" in October, and it happened to be rolling around the telly, so I gave it a long-gestating second viewing and ... it's pretty good once it gets going. It's a smidge slow and not particularly funny to begin with, but then once it gets underway there start to be some very funny sequences (e.g. "the theory of yes and no", the staking etc).

It's also impressive how much effort they put into recreating the Dracula vibe, referencing the original movie, but also the story. If you're going to spoof something you've gotta have a love for what you're sending up (not like all those crappy 'Meet the Spartans' type turd-festivals, which seem to have no affection for anything ... and no affinity for comedy, either, come to think of it) ... ... anyway, it's certainly not Brooks' best work by a significant margin, but it's pretty darn good fun nonetheless.

Ireland
    'The Killing of America'

7/10

Interesting, but dated, pseudo documentary highlighting the deep troughs that America goes through with gun crime, although, the likes of Jim Jones is mentioned too. Made in that 80's "mondo" style, it's obviously sensationalist in its approach, but it retains a certain matter-of-fact impact and considering where the States is today with regards to school shootings and whatnot, even more poignant than it was in 1982. A real "42nd Street" film.

'John Wick'

5/10

Little more than a pop video dressed up as an actioner. Abandon all intelligence or any hope of a sensible plot, as this consists of mumbling actors firing shots at each other for 90 odd minutes. Enjoyable enough at the start and it seems to be a smarter film than that the plot senopsis would suggest. But 'John Wick' soons settles down into its rut and stays there until the end. Not sure if this was based on a comicbook, but it sure feels like one. Ted Theodore Logan's best film, but that's not saying much.

'Hellraiser'

8/10

Hard to believe that this is nearly 30 years old now! Clive Barker (the one time best hope for horror) writes and directs a deliously gruesome and nasty load of nonsense, based off of his story 'The Hellbound Heart'. Again, the old brain needs to be swicthed off and after all, it is a horror film...so, that's part of the territory for many pictures in that field, which allows a bit of forgiveness. The Blu Ray from Arrow shows this off very well and all it's hi-def mushy gore is probably the best it's ever looked. In fact, I doubt most cinema prints looked as good. The film is still beset with some weird anomalies, like American accents in obviously British surrounds, but they aren't completely destructive to the enjoyment of the film. The Cenobites remain the star of the show, even if their on screen appearance is limited to less than 10 minutes. Trashy bollocks, but hugely entertaining and Claire Higgins as the uber wicked Julia is brilliant.

'Hellraiser II'

6/10

A decent follow up, even if its ambition outpaces its budget - really outpaces it. But, anyway, 'Hellraiser II' has a lot to like and the little bit of background story to Pinhead was interesting. It suffers from the "we couldn't get the original actors back" syndrome in a few minor areas, but for the most part the original characters are played by the people who were in the first film, which is great for continuity. Coming back, in more ways than one is Claire Higgins and again she outshines everybody, but Kenneth Cranham gives her a run for her money. Unfortunately, the film drops off in a big way in the last third. As said, this is largely due to budget and not ideas, which are as whacky as any other in the film. There's just not enough shillings to put the ideas on the screen and it shows. However, in the cinematic world of dimishing returns 'Hellraiser II' remains a largely satisfying sequel.

'Carnage Park'

6/10

Low budget grindhouse wannabe that's ok, but feels longer than its 75 minutes. This film tries to channel everything from 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' to Tarrantino, but it probably should have just tried to be its own thing. It's not terrible, by any means, in fact it's pretty good if you're in the right frame of mind. It just doesn't have enough story and it looks low budget in a bad way, if you know what I mean. That clean "digital" look, as opposed to that gritty, grainy 16mm look that defined low budget horror in the 70's. The period in which the film is set and trying to emulate. Performaces are very good, with a standout turn from Ashley Bell. Worth a look, if not entirely successful.

'Dead End'

5/10

Average "weirdy" that feels more like an episode of 'The Outer Limits' than a cinematic screenplay. Another film that feels longer than its running time, because of padding to get it over the one hour-twenty minute line, as were. It also doesn't seem confident in itself to remain serious about its subject and awkwardly includes humour that doesn't really work. One gets the impression that if the film had remained po faced, it would have come off better. The "twist" at the end is so telegraphed that only someone of an extremely low IQ or that has never seen an episode of the aforementioned 'The Outer Limits' or 'The Twilight Zone' won't see it coming. It's ok, but as said, average - on the low end of the scale.

Super Moderator

UK
    Need For Speed - 4/10

For a videogame movie it's pretty good (but that's not really saying much). I liked the 'driver view' shots (even if they were a bit too wobbly), and Imogen Poots, and the cast take the ropey material very seriously (e.g. Aaron Paul, coming off of Breaking Bad excellence, is lightyears ahead of this gubbins but does lend it far more gravitas than it would have otherwise had). It wasn't particularly exciting for the most part. I watched it as a bit of filler, mostly, and saw it out 'till the end for completion's sake (I was on the cusp of packing it in after 20 minutes, I'll admit).

Monster Squad - 8/10

I never saw this as a kid, but I saw it for the first time a few years ago so this was a second go-round. I would have loved this as a nipper, but it's still works as a grown up. There are some really nice subtle touches here and there, which speak to far more grown up ideas - the old man in the house, reacting to being experienced with monsters, we then see that he has a concentration camp tattoo on his arm. Likewise, near the end of the movie, just in the background of the shot - but never directly referenced - the cop's wife is about to throw him out of the house for good (but supernatural events get in the way and bring them back together). Hell, even the little girl giving Frankenstein's Monster "Scraps" (her favourite soft toy) as he's sucked into the limbo hole got me a bit choked up.

'John Wick' 5/10

'Hellraiser II' 6/10

'Carnage Park' 6/10
    1) I really enjoyed John Wick - jolly good fun, excellent action, very stylish, good work from Keanu, and the club scene was awesome.

2) I've been meaning to re-watch the first two Hellraisers, but I do recall watching the second one whilst I was having lunch a good long while ago ... it got to the bit where someone was seeing maggots crawling all over their skin and my gut churned. One of the very rare times I've had to switch a film off and resume it later.

3) I saw a poster for this just today (Pat Healy and Alan Ruck are in it as well, right?) ... I'll keep a look out for it.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    1) I really enjoyed John Wick - jolly good fun, excellent action, very stylish, good work from Keanu, and the club scene was awesome.

2) I've been meaning to re-watch the first two Hellraisers, but I do recall watching the second one whilst I was having lunch a good long while ago ... it got to the bit where someone was seeing maggots crawling all over their skin and my gut churned. One of the very rare times I've had to switch a film off and resume it later.

3) I saw a poster for this just today (Pat Healy and Alan Ruck are in it as well, right?) ... I'll keep a look out for it.

Yeh, 'John Wick' is ok. It's worth a watch and enjoyable for what it is. It's just one note. I suppose I thought it was going to be a better picture than it turned out. I was fully on board until it took a right and ended up being a bog standard one-man-killing-machine film with loud music.

Strangely enough, I was eating soup when Julia made her sloppy comeback. I decided after a little bit of perseverance that 'Hellraiser II' was better as an "after soup" experience. I know the scene you're talking about though and yep, it's very uncomfortable to watch. I feel really sorry for that vermiphobic lad and his solution is wince inducing.

'Carnage Park' worth seeing. I wouldn't buy the Blu or anything though. The two lads you mention are both in the film. It's best watched without knowing too much about it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Strangely enough, I was eating soup when Julia made her sloppy comeback. I decided after a little bit of perseverance that 'Hellraiser II' was better as an "after soup" experience. I know the scene you're talking about though and yep, it's very uncomfortable to watch. I feel really sorry for that vermiphobic lad and his solution is wince inducing.

'Carnage Park' worth seeing. I wouldn't buy the Blu or anything though. The two lads you mention are both in the film. It's best watched without knowing too much about it.
    1) They should put that on the poster.

2) It'll likely roll around onto the Horror Channel sometime, so I'll try and keep the title - Carnage Park - in mind for when the time comes.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Battle of Britain, 3/5
    Awesome vistas, fantastic shots of actual airplanes shooting each other. The fighting and flying scenes in this one put the ones in Midway to shame. The film itself is all about effects, tho. It's a pretty straight forward telling of the events, rather than any attempt to put a love story, or other sub plot in there. There's little in ways of drama. It's just airplanes and bombings. The filmmakers were more concerned with depicting anecdotes from the actual battle into somewhat of a coherent narrative.
    Somewhat accurately describes the timeline of the Battle of Britain with some simplifications. Adlertag is portrayed in this film as including fighters, when it actually were just a bunch of unprotected bombers. Likewise, the devestation to the airfields shown was played up for dramatic effect, I suppose. In reality only one airfield was ever really put out of action for an extended period of time.

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
    , 2/5
    I really liked the first one. But the harshness and gritty minimalism of the first film are pretty much dropped in favour of a pretty straight forward action film. The bad guys aren't as memorable, the action scenes are more straight forward and the plot is pretty bland. The sniper angle in the first film was dark. The "corrupt private security firm" angle in this one feels like something out of a Navy CIS episode. Still, I enjoy watching Tom Cruise beat people up.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Battle of Britain, 3/5
    Awesome vistas, fantastic shots of actual airplanes shooting each other. The fighting and flying scenes in this one put the ones in Midway to shame. The film itself is all about effects, tho. It's a pretty straight forward telling of the events, rather than any attempt to put a love story, or other sub plot in there. There's little in ways of drama. It's just airplanes and bombings. The filmmakers were more concerned with depicting anecdotes from the actual battle into somewhat of a coherent narrative.
    Somewhat accurately describes the timeline of the Battle of Britain with some simplifications. Adlertag is portrayed in this film as including fighters, when it actually were just a bunch of unprotected bombers. Likewise, the devestation to the airfields shown was played up for dramatic effect, I suppose. In reality only one airfield was ever really put out of action for an extended period of time.
    A great film. I'd rate it higher. One of my favorite pictures about the war.

Regarding Adlertag, AFAIK, fighers were dispacthed on the 13th August. JG2, 3, 26, 27, 51, 52, 53 and 54 all flew sorties on the day. Plus LG1 and Epros.Gr 210 flew some missions as well. So, in that respect the film is accurate.

It is curious, though, that all of the pilots are given odd names. Real life JG26 pilot Adolf Galland is called Falke for some reason and Robert Shaw's character is obviously Adolph "Sailor" Malan, but he's named differently too. I don't think any of the real life pilots would have objected to their names being used. In fact, Galland was a technical supervisor for the film.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 08-Nov-2016 at 06:24 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    A great film. I'd rate it higher. One of my favorite pictures about the war.

Regarding Adlertag, AFAIK, fighers were dispacthed on the 13th August. JG2, 3, 26, 27, 51, 52, 53 and 54 all flew sorties on the day. Plus LG1 and Epros.Gr 210 flew some missions as well. So, in that respect the film is accurate.
    Well, what I read was that the weather got cloudy, which halted the launch of the fighters - but not the bombers. But maybe I'm recalling the details incorrectly.

Technically a great film. I just found it a bit underwhelming on the narrative side, kinda like Tora! Tora! Tora! But worth the watch regardless.

Administrator

England
    Battle of Britain, 3/5
    4/5 if only because of the music and sequences like this...

And of course any film with the sound of Merlin engine in, should instantly get at least 4/5 too!

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, 2/5
    I really liked the first one. But the harshness and gritty minimalism of the first film are pretty much dropped in favour of a pretty straight forward action film. The bad guys aren't as memorable, the action scenes are more straight forward and the plot is pretty bland. The sniper angle in the first film was dark. The "corrupt private security firm" angle in this one feels like something out of a Navy CIS episode. Still, I enjoy watching Tom Cruise beat people up.
    Yeh, the reviews put me of watching this
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Well, what I read was that the weather got cloudy, which halted the launch of the fighters - but not the bombers. But maybe I'm recalling the details incorrectly.
    Adlertag was postponed briefly in the early morning, due to bad weather, but II and III Gruppe of KG2 didn't get the message, because the crystals in their long wave radios weren't fully functioning according to Len Deighton. They met up with a BF110 escort from ZG26, flown by Oblt. Joachim Huth, who tried to get the bombers to turn back by weaving in front of them. But he couldn't communicate the message and II and III gruppe flew onto their targets in Eastchurch and Sheerness. I Gruppe got the recall and landed back in France.

Technically a great film. I just found it a bit underwhelming on the narrative side, kinda like Tora! Tora! Tora! But worth the watch regardless.
    'The Battle of Britain' is rather dry for most people, I think. For the likes of me though, I love it. It's at its worst when trying to shoehorn love interests into the story and characters disappear without the obligatory movie "Ginger bought it, old chap!" dialogue (which is actually a strength in my book). Over all, though, it's difficult for me to dislike it. The sheer amount of aircraft assembled for the film alone makes it great.

'Tora, Tora, Tora' is another one of my faves. I love its matter of fact approach and again it's lovely to see the effort to get aircraft into the air for the aerial sequences. Pity there were no real Zeroes or Vals involved, but the mock ups looked well enough.

Super Moderator

UK
    I see it's swimming by on Sky Movies on 8th December - sorted.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 09-Nov-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Ireland
    There's alternatives...

They begin with a T and end in an S and there's and orrent in between.