Page 75 of 173 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Super Moderator

UK
    Despite my defence of COTLD, I also agree with many of the criticisms against it - it has many weaknesses and makes bugger all sense for the most part, but it is strong on atmosphere and set pieces ... but it is more like set pieces strung together than a cohesive narrative. I've seen it three times now, and will undoubtedly watch it again.

Ah, "The New York Ripper". I saw that many moons ago for the first time on a Vipco VHS copy (censored and terribly pan & scanned - I mean really, the P&S job is truly awful, and degrades the image quality to a huge extent reducing crisp 2.35:1 visuals to a fuzzy, grainy, atrociously cropped 4:3 jobby). It's an exceptionally nasty film, incredibly sleazy, very violent and dark in its mood - and is probably the main reason why Fulci has been labelled a "misogynist". He made a film that is arguably "misogynist" (or about a misogynist killer, at least), but does that truly make Fulci himself a misogynist? He's been known to treat his actors terribly on set at times (male and female), but other times he's been very professional with them - Catriona MacColl (and others) has said as much on numerous occasions, having seen both sides of his character. The New York Ripper is one of those flicks that is pretty excessive and leaves you wanting to wash your hands after viewing it. Grotty, sleazy, a little bit slap dash, but not terrible by any means. You've got to be in the mood for something nasty and mean spirited, and yet at the same time it can be very silly ("Talks like a duck?!" ).
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 29-Nov-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Star Trek Beyond, 4 of 5

Hey, it's Star Trek.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Star Trek Beyond, 4 of 5

Hey, it's Star Trek.
    Pairing Spock and McCoy was genious. Easily my favorite sections of that film. While in certain areas it feels like they tried to take the franchise back to it's roots in Beyond, in others it's the same old generic action again. I enjoyed it but was hoping for so much more....
    Last edited by bassman; 01-Dec-2016 at 01:01 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Agreed, the action is the film's achilles heel. In all three of the latest star trek films, the climax has always been some kind of showdown in Future Sci-Fi City and in the latest two it's been a chase specifically. The moments we remember from the new Star Trek films are specifically NOT the action scenes. That's never been Star Trek's forté.

But there's a lot of character moments in this one that I like. Unlike Into Darkness, which was just Benedict Cumberbatch fistfighting his way through the scenery for 2 hours straight.

Ireland
    'C.H.U.D.'

8/10

80's classic that never gets old. Underground hobos turn into flesh eating ghouls and cause havoc in New York, while the authorities try to hide a terrible secret. 'C.H.U.D.' is one of those great, gritty, 80's horrors with a low down and dirty look. Not quite a 70's grindhouse look, but more akin to the look of 'Day of the Dead'. Both of which were shot on 35mm, but look like 16mm and it adds to the feeling brilliantly. There's a few faces here as well, like Daniel Stern ('Home Alone', 'City Slickers') and John Heard ('After Hours', 'The Sopranos'). These guys feature on the absolutely excellent commentary track that acompanies the film. It's, quite simply, the most enjoyable commentary track I have ever heard and had me chuckling a lot, as the guys rip the shit out of a film they clearly love and have very fond memories of. It's not hard to imagine that after they finished in the studio, they all went for beers afterward and continued the conversation.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I didn't like CHUD. It felt slow and dull. Kinda mimicing my complaints about The Howling actually. Oh and John Heard was in Home Alone too!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'C.H.U.D.'

8/10

80's classic that never gets old. Underground hobos turn into flesh eating ghouls and cause havoc in New York, while the authorities try to hide a terrible secret. 'C.H.U.D.' is one of those great, gritty, 80's horrors with a low down and dirty look. Not quite a 70's grindhouse look, but more akin to the look of 'Day of the Dead'. Both of which were shot on 35mm, but look like 16mm and it adds to the feeling brilliantly. There's a few faces here as well, like Daniel Stern ('Home Alone', 'City Slickers') and John Heard ('After Hours', 'The Sopranos'). These guys feature on the absolutely excellent commentary track that acompanies the film. It's, quite simply, the most enjoyable commentary track I have ever heard and had me chuckling a lot, as the guys rip the shit out of a film they clearly love and have very fond memories of. It's not hard to imagine that after they finished in the studio, they all went for beers afterward and continued the conversation.
    Ah, is that the recent Arrow Video release? Is that region free/all by any chance? (I've only got a Region B player). It wasn't released in the UK (they don't have the rights for this territory), only in the US.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 02-Dec-2016 at 10:00 AM.

Ireland
    I think it's Region A only, not sure though. My Bluray player is region free.

TBH honest, I don't think it's that much of a step up in quality over the DVD. I think you can still get hold of that.

Super Moderator

UK
    I think it's Region A only, not sure though. My Bluray player is region free.

TBH honest, I don't think it's that much of a step up in quality over the DVD. I think you can still get hold of that.
    Yeah, but I'd fancy the extras that go along with it too.

It's weird when other rights holders seem to have no interest in releasing a film in your territory while an Arrow Video (for example) are putting out a fresh new release in the USA.

Ireland
    '12 Angry Men'

10/10

A bunch of pretty unlikable characters (even Henry Fonda's character isn't terribly nice) are set in judgement on a possible teenage murderer. The case the jury sits to judge serves as a backdrop to the prejudices of the day, which are sadly all too present in modern times too. An ensamble cast with everyone at the top of their game, so it's difficult to pick outstanding turns. But, a brilliant Lee J Cobb and Jack Warden nudge just ahead. Probably the best film of its decade, if you've never seen this, do yourself a favour.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ghostbusters - 9.5/10
    Some people have Star Wars, I have Ghostbusters. It's the cornerstone of my entire childhood - hell, my sense of humour was founded by Bill Murray and Peter Venkman. Such a brilliant, beloved film for me.

Ghostbusters II - 8.5/10
    A point down by comparison for being too structurally similar to the first movie, but I've always loved this flick (as a kid my favourite of the two would switch back and forth constantly). The scale of the second movie is far larger, there's some pretty epic shots in it, and the set pieces (the two montages, the Lady Liberty walk, the court room scene etc) are all stand outs. Indeed, the editing of the movie feels sharper in the second movie - better than the first - the choice of shots to make the scene work and make sense is done so efficiently, and likewise the gags feel a touch sharper in places, such as 'buttons on a scene' which end a scene spot-on before moving to the next. The effects work is cleaner, too. The budget was lower and it was a newly founded F/X company (albeit with folks in-the-know behind it) for the first picture, but those five extra years and a bit more dosh and expertise really polished up the special effects. The score, on the other hand, is nowhere near as memorable as in the first movie, but the soundtrack is still pretty solid.

I got these on the most recent Blu-Ray release (from 2014) on sale and they both look ruddy lovely in HD. Nice to see the new extras (including deleted scenes from GB2 that I'd never seen before).

'12 Angry Men'

10/10

A bunch of pretty unlikable characters (even Henry Fonda's character isn't terribly nice) are set in judgement on a possible teenage murderer. The case the jury sits to judge serves as a backdrop to the prejudices of the day, which are sadly all too present in modern times too. An ensamble cast with everyone at the top of their game, so it's difficult to pick outstanding turns. But, a brilliant Lee J Cobb and Jack Warden nudge just ahead. Probably the best film of its decade, if you've never seen this, do yourself a favour.
    An excellent film! I saw it a couple of years ago for the first time and was transfixed - such a superb piece of writing, directing, and performance.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    '12 Angry Men'

10/10

Aces. Top marks, I agree. One of the best.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Agreed, 12 Angry Men is an absolute classic and a must-see for any movie fan. I'd heard there was a remake sometime around the 90's? While I'm sure it's nowhere near the original, I'd still be curious to see how it stacks up. Anyone know?

- - - Updated - - -

"For the Love of Spock" A documentary created by Leonard Nimoy's son, covering Leonard's life, career, and cultural significance of Trek/Spock. It's a great documentary and a loving tribute to the actor that touched so many lives. It's currently on instant Netflix.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Agreed, 12 Angry Men is an absolute classic and a must-see for any movie fan. I'd heard there was a remake sometime around the 90's? While I'm sure it's nowhere near the original, I'd still be curious to see how it stacks up. Anyone know?
    Haven't seen that one Bass, but I reckon I probably won't. I just can't see it being near the original, which is probably one of the few examples of a perfect film. I could sit down and watch it again right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    "For the Love of Spock" A documentary created by Leonard Nimoy's son, covering Leonard's life, career, and cultural significance of Trek/Spock. It's a great documentary and a loving tribute to the actor that touched so many lives. It's currently on instant Netflix.
    Oh, I'll be checking that out. I'm not really a Trek fan TBH and for me it begins and ends with the original crew. I love the three lads (Kirk, Spock and McCoy). They were just made for those roles and the way they bounced off of each other retains a certain charm even today. Something that the Next Generation severely lacked. The most charming person on that show was the feckin emotionless robot.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Oh, I'll be checking that out. I'm not really a Trek fan TBH and for me it begins and ends with the original crew. I love the three lads (Kirk, Spock and McCoy). They were just made for those roles and the way they bounced off of each other retains a certain charm even today. Something that the Next Generation severely lacked. The most charming person on that show was the feckin emotionless robot.
    Agreed. What made the original series work was always the characters and their relationships. Particularly the three leads, Kirk, Spock, and Bones. While the reboot films don't get everything 100%, I do feel like they nailed those three and their connections perfectly.