Page 81 of 173 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Ireland
    Have you seen his French language films? Polytechnic and incendies?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Have you seen his French language films? Polytechnic and incendies?
    Nope. Heard of the latter, though.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Nope. Heard of the latter, though.

Pleb.

Super Moderator

UK
    Black Mountain Poets
    Quirky, low budget British comedy drama starring Alice Lowe (Sightseers, and the newly released Prevenge) and Dolly Wells (Doll & Em). The film starts with two sisters bumbling an attempted theft of a digger from a building site, which causes them to go 'on the run' where they end up impersonating two poet sisters at a poet's retreat in the countryside. Low key, quirky, it's a character piece and is surprisingly enjoyable.

Demons
    The first time I watched this I didn't much care for it, but that was a few years ago and I figured I'd give it a second shot ... and I still don't particularly care for it. I like parts of it, but it feels quite rushed and scattered in its thinking, tossing random elements about, and some of the 'tense' sequences don't feel tense whatsoever. It's the sort of movie that I figured I would have liked considering my tastes and fondness for Italian exploitation movies, but for some reason this one doesn't really chime with me. Like I said, I enjoy bits and pieces of it, but generally? Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post

Pleb.
    Ain't you charming?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I think Demons is a fun rollercoaster of nonsense and thrills. But it is stupid and not high art by any stretch of the word. Weird to single out Demons as a film not up your alley? It's basicly a zombie movie after all... Just like 28 Days Later.

Anyway;

The Girl who knew too much
    The first ever giallo, by Bava. John Saxon stars. Pretty harmless by later standards but some of the imagery is very gothic. If anyone is into vistas of Rome, this is your film...

Pretty in Pink
    I want a linen suit, just like James Spader has.

The Case of the Scorpions Tail
    Similar plot twist as Death Walks on High Heels (and Psycho) and same author too: Ernesto Gastaldi. Otherwise it's a who's-who of Giallo cinema: George Hilton, Anita Strindberg, Luigi Pistilli and directed by Sergio Martino. Solid mystery.

Milano Calibro 9
    A italian gangster film from 1972. Being a genre film, a lot of the same actors show up in this one. Including Luigi Pistilli. Great film! Great sets, neat music, good gangster show offs. Not much of a mafia fan myself, but this I can dig.

Two Evil Eyes
    Romero and Argento directs two one-hour shorts. One is about a greedy widower whose dead husband returns from the grave to haunt her. The other is of a sadistic photographer who is haunted by a black cat. Guess who directed which segment...

Super Moderator

UK
    I think Demons is a fun rollercoaster of nonsense and thrills. But it is stupid and not high art by any stretch of the word. Weird to single out Demons as a film not up your alley? It's basicly a zombie movie after all... Just like 28 Days Later.

Anyway;

The Girl who knew too much
    The first ever giallo, by Bava. John Saxon stars. Pretty harmless by later standards but some of the imagery is very gothic. If anyone is into vistas of Rome, this is your film...

The Case of the Scorpions Tail
    Similar plot twist as Death Walks on High Heels (and Psycho) and same author too: Ernesto Gastaldi. Otherwise it's a who's-who of Giallo cinema: George Hilton, Anita Strindberg, Luigi Pistilli and directed by Sergio Martino. Solid mystery.

Milano Calibro 9
    A italian gangster film from 1972. Being a genre film, a lot of the same actors show up in this one. Including Luigi Pistilli. Great film! Great sets, neat music, good gangster show offs. Not much of a mafia fan myself, but this I can dig.
    RE: Demons - I wanted to like it both times I saw it, but for some reason it doesn't really work for me. I like pieces of it, but as a whole for whatever reason(s) it didn't flick my switch.

The Girl Who Knew Too Much - ooh, that's a good one. The cinematography and locations in that film are great, and there's some fantastic sequences throughout. The giallo genre got off to a good start with that one.

The Case of the Scorpion's Tail - aye, I dug that one too. A solid all-rounder.

Milano Calibro 9 - I've not seen that, but I'll add to the 'to do' list based on your comments.

Rising

United States
    RE: Demons - I wanted to like it both times I saw it, but for some reason it doesn't really work for me. I like pieces of it, but as a whole for whatever reason(s) it didn't flick my switch.
    One of the coolest things about that movie is that it features songs by Saxon, Accept and Mötley Crüe. Metal was still one of the most popular music styles when this movie was made. Even the movie's poster advertises the fact that music by these bands is featured:

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Milano Calibro 9 - I've not seen that, but I'll add to the 'to do' list based on your comments.
    Starting to run out of giallo. I might turn to Poliziotteschi if that film was any indication of what there is to see there.

Anyway...

Blade Runner
    Final cut. Well, it's a great film. Enough has been said of it. Looking forward to the sequel, I guess. But this must be Scott's best film - of which there are many.

Short Night of Glass Dolls
    I didn't like this at all. Aldo Lada, who directed the rather macabre Night Train Murders, delivers a rather dull giallo with no stylish murders, sets or much of a plot. A paralyzed man recollects how he ended up like this. There is some classic giallo mumbo-technology thrown in as a doctor explains tomatoes (a vegetable? Like our hero in his current state?) can feel pain. In the end, our hero unearths a plots that's somewhat morbid but the way there is just drab and boring. Unlike the very best giallo, most actors and extras just stand around doing nothing. I want my italians to deliver wild performances!

Schock
    Mario Bava's final film with a score by Goblin. It delivers things that make horror films great - surrealism and crazy scenes - and things that make it bad - annoying kid actors and flat melodrama. Overall pretty good but I wonder who thought it was a good idea to have Goblin put so much rock music into horror films.

Administrator

England
    Starting to run out of giallo. I might turn to Poliziotteschi if that film was any indication of what there is to see there.

Anyway...

Blade Runner
    Final cut. Well, it's a great film. Enough has been said of it. Looking forward to the sequel, I guess. But this must be Scott's best film - of which there are many.
    I'd love to sit down and watch the original cinema cut vs one of these latter directors cut, to see how much they really feel different. Obviously (I assume) the primary diffferences being the voice over and a few of the additional scenes plugged in?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    That's really about it.

The only reason these other cuts really exist is because Scott wanted to push the Deckard is a robot thing...ooooooooooooohhhhhhhh.

One of the most stupid things about that, is a camera accident in the original film, to do with Rachel's eyes, was digitally reproduced in later versions on Deckard, to "prove" he was a replicant.

This has the idiotic effect of rendering the Voight-Kampff test utterly pointless and redundant. Why bother going to all of that bollocks, when you simply shine a light in the suspects eyes?

"Click...yeh, he's a robot. Take him away."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    That's really about it.

The only reason these other cuts really exist is because Scott wanted to push the Deckard is a robot thing...ooooooooooooohhhhhhhh.

One of the most stupid things about that, is a camera accident in the original film, to do with Rachel's eyes, was digitally reproduced in later versions on Deckard, to "prove" he was a replicant.

This has the idiotic effect of rendering the Voight-Kampff test utterly pointless and redundant. Why bother going to all of that bollocks, when you simply shine a light in the suspects eyes?

"Click...yeh, he's a robot. Take him away."
    The light is also visible in the artificial owl and in Pris' eyes. Furthermore, just because we the audience can see it doesn't mean the people in the film can. I can see the lens flares, they cannot...

Ireland
    It's still as thick as shit.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    It's still as thick as shit.
    Why??

Ireland
    I really dislike the idea that Deckard is a replicant. It makes no sense.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I really dislike the idea that Deckard is a replicant. It makes no sense.
    I don't know, I think it makes plenty sense!