Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 39798586878889
Results 1,321 to 1,324 of 1324

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    3) I've just watched that one a week ago, myself. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven't seen "The Night Evelyn..." yet, but I will get around to it sometime soon. I'll post a proper review of it tomorrow.
    I preferred Evelyn, I think. It was way crazier.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    4) Yeah, I never really got on with Phenomena, either. It was alright, but I can't really remember much about it. The one thing I most remember is from a making of documentary about Argento in general and how the 'swarm of flies on the building' was done (coffee grounds in water superimposed over the shot). IIRC this was before he did Terror At The Opera (aka Opera), which I really enjoyed, so he wasn't quite out of juice at this point, but the cracks began to show.
    Opera isn't out on an (English speaking) BluRay yet. I believe Koch Media has a german BluRay out but it's bound to get an english treatment eventually. Looking forward to rewatching that one.

Anyway... This week:

Danger: Diabolik
    Very camp, very fun and very good music. Mario Bava delivers what I have to say is my favorite film of his (so far). Loved pretty much everything about it, including the fact that the villain unironically uses a trap door on one of his goons.

Zombi Holocaust
    A classic jungle adventure with zombies and cannibals thrown in. Works pretty good! The zombies introduction is pretty creepy and probably the highlight of the film. The ending is pretty low key however and there could easily have been a more drawn out climax. As it stands now it all just burns to the ground in around 1 minute time.

Deliria Calda / Delerium
    A boring ass giallo where nothing happens except the main female character freaking out in the last 30 minutes and constantly shrieking at the top of her lungs while the rest of the cast watches.

"I worked in a factory owned by Germans, at coal pits owned by Frenchmen, and at a chemical plant owned by Belgians. There I discovered something about capitalists. They are all alike, whatever the nationality. All they wanted from me was the most work for the least money that kept me alive. So I became a Communist." - Ники́та Серге́евич Хрущёв

"Thanks for Playa Girón. Before the invasion, the revolution was weak. Now it's stronger than ever". - Che Guevara

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Zombi Holocaust
    A classic jungle adventure with zombies and cannibals thrown in. Works pretty good! The zombies introduction is pretty creepy and probably the highlight of the film. The ending is pretty low key however and there could easily have been a more drawn out climax. As it stands now it all just burns to the ground in around 1 minute time.
    Features one of the coolest zombie slayings ever: outboard motor propeller to the face!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Features one of the coolest zombie slayings ever: outboard motor propeller to the face!
    Quite right. And the music is pretty good too, though I heard it was ripped from another film.

Anyway...

The Fifth Cord, a giallo with Franco Nero. One of the absolute best gialli I've ever seen. Not so much for it's plot, which is a bit confusing and doesn't really tie up as neatly as some others do, but because of it's style. Every scene is an utter masterpiece of cinematography, courtsey of Vittorio Storaro. Add to that Morricone delivers a score that's up there with the one's he composed for Argento's Animal trilogy. This gem isn't on bluray, which is criminal. If there's one film that deserves a HD remaster, it's this one. I saw this on Youtube.

Death Occured Last Night, people keep saying this is a giallo but I don't buy it. While there is a mystery, it revolves mainly around a kidnapping. The main characters are two police officers who try to figure out who kidnapped the mentally handicapped daughter of a local businessman and the film follows their investigation rather than that of some private eye or journalist. Simply put, it's much more of a polizioteschi than a giallo, but I guess technically, all the giallo elements are there... Duccio Tessari helms, who later directed both Bloodstained Butterfly and Puzzle. Both are very good examples of the giallo genre. This one was okay.

So Sweet, So Dead, another giallo. While it's a solid giallo, it is by far, by far, the most formulaic giallo I've ever seen. There's nothing in this film that's not borrowed from another film. In addition, it's simply not executed that well. It hasn't got the flamboyant cheese of some of the sleazier examples (Like Forbidden Photos of a Lady Above Suspicion) and it hasn't got the poetic charm of let's say Your Vice is a Locked Room and only I have the Key. Instead it's a rather flat affair where a group of high society aristocrats in a small town find their unfaithful wives being knocked off one by one in what's, truth be told, some really dull and uncreative scenes.

Jane Austen's Book Club, yet another giallo.
    Just kidding. A group of women, of whom none die, read Jane Austen's books and have the themes of the books themselves stand in for several trials their personal relationships go through. It's alright.

"I worked in a factory owned by Germans, at coal pits owned by Frenchmen, and at a chemical plant owned by Belgians. There I discovered something about capitalists. They are all alike, whatever the nationality. All they wanted from me was the most work for the least money that kept me alive. So I became a Communist." - Ники́та Серге́евич Хрущёв

"Thanks for Playa Girón. Before the invasion, the revolution was weak. Now it's stronger than ever". - Che Guevara

United States
    The Craft. Really good movie from the 90's about four troubled teenage girls practicing witchcraft to get what they want but the spells start to backfire once they start abusing their powers. The most realistic movie about witchcraft I've ever seen and one of my favorite movies of all time. I give it a 9/10.
    Just a zombie girl on a Saturday night. <3