Page 9 of 173 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

UK

7/10
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Ireland
    'Sorcerer'

7/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

UK

6/10

Undisclosed
    How to train your dragon 2.
    Darker, deeper than you would think possible for an animated summer release ....

8/10

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    How to train your dragon 2.
    Darker, deeper than you would think possible for an animated summer release ....

8/10
    I've heard good things about it. Just don't think I've got a space on the calendar to take the kids (before it ends its run)
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK

4/10. Bad acting, sound was terrible, not really a story in it or an explanation.

- - - Updated - - -

6/10, a decent French alien invasion film

- - - Updated - - -

6/10

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post

4/10. Bad acting, sound was terrible, not really a story in it or an explanation.
    I'd probably go 5/10, just because the Blood Widow was cool, & the actress portraying her did a great job. I did notice one scene where the sound was a little spotty, but other than that, the rest of the production was typical to above average for an indie SOV Slasher & not bad. Acting...meh, I don't come to these kinds of flicks for that. A little gorier than I expected, with a little more of a nasty streak too. Particularly :

torture scene in the basement & the ENDING!!!

As for the story:

They spelled it out pretty well: the old house was a school for girls, the headmaster was abusing &/or torturing the little girl. All the other girls made fun of her, because she was "his", he gave her a ring, etc. She snapped & killed him & became the Blood Widow. That's it. Not deep, but adequate for a Slasher backstory

If you're a Slasher aficionado it's probably worth a look IMO.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 24-Jun-2014 at 04:53 AM. Reason: S

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I'd probably go 5/10, just because the Blood Widow was cool, & the actress portraying her did a great job. I did notice one scene where the sound was a little spotty, but other than that, the rest of the production was typical to above average for an indie SOV Slasher & not bad. Acting...meh, I don't come to these kinds of flicks for that. A little gorier than I expected, with a little more of a nasty streak too. Particularly :

torture scene in the basement & the ENDING!!!

As for the story:

They spelled it out pretty well: the old house was a school for girls, the headmaster was abusing &/or torturing the little girl. All the other girls made fun of her, because she was "his", he gave her a ring, etc. She snapped & killed him & became the Blood Widow. That's it. Not deep, but adequate for a Slasher backstory

If you're a Slasher aficionado it's probably worth a look IMO.
    obviously i wasn't paying much attention to it then. I did think the Blood Widow looked good though but other then that i thought it was rubbish.

- - - Updated - - -

6/10

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post
    obviously i wasn't paying much attention to it then. I did think the Blood Widow looked good though but other then that i thought it was rubbish.
    Yeah...reluctantly agree...I was really looking forward to it, & had moderately high hopes for it. I've seen much, much worse, but it was more or less fairly average SOV Slasher fair. Not like that's a bad thing per se, but...

United States
    The Monkey's Paw: 8/10. I was pleasantly surprised that this wasn't the giant dog turd I was expecting it to be. Technically, there is even undead in this one. Don't want to ruin, but highly recommend it. When I read indie movie, I winced, but it has Rock from TV in it, and looks pretty nicely polished. I found it online in a few places, including youtube in its entirety, but I saw it not on Netflix...
    Quite exquisitely gory in spots, if you love blood and guts.

Super Moderator

UK
    Cold Comes The Night - 6.5/10

Very good performances from Bryan Cranston (as a near-blind Polish mafia man delivering a package), and Alice Eve (as a down-on-her-luck single mother, owner/operator of a sleazy motel). It's brief, it's moody, it's not excellent but it's not shit either - it's a pretty decent flick that's worth watching if you dig either of the two leads.

UK
    Men In Black 3 6/10

Ireland
    'Saturday Night Fever' 7/10

'Under the Skin' 6/10

Undisclosed
    Under the skin a bit mediocre Shootem? Been wanting to see it after reading rave reviews from the local press...

Ireland
    Don't get me wrong. It's a good film, but IMHO, it needed a trim by about 15 -20 minutes.

It's extremely atmospheric, whatshername does a great job and there are moments cold brilliance, but to say that there isn't an awful lot going on in the film would be a bit of an understatement. There's also an awful lot left to the viewer's interpretation. Too much really.

A few cuts here and there and it would warrant a 7 or an 8, but I'll be honest, it was trying my patience at times Kris.

Still recommend it though.