A Nightmare on Elm Street 5
Better than expected. But I'm all full now, because none after 1 are really any good. Except maybe 3. But the slasher formula is so dull.

Magnum Force
The second Dirty Harry film triumphs the first. A great film with neat sets, pacing, setting, action and suspense. I really dug this and would recommend it to anyone who wants some prime 70's crime.

Doctor Strange
It is what it is. Avengers this week.

Puzzle
One of the best giallo out there. Stylish as hell and set in a wonderful small holiday resort called Portofino which imbues the film with so much flair. The italian title is L'uomo senza memoria, which translates to Man without memory. An apt title.

Man from Deep River
Umberto Lenzi directs the first italian cannibal film, with hardly any cannibals in it. Supposed to be a riff on The Man called Horse, and it's much more of a that kind of film. The cannibals just show up at the end for like 5 minutes. Still, it spawned the cannibal boom.

The Enforcer
Third Dirty Harry. Dull by comparison. It's too clean, neat, orderly and the story and characters are just not very interesting.

Dead Line
A Swedish disaster film about a toxic cloud that engulfs a small town beach resort. It's from the 70's. Neat idea, but in the end - dull and distant as only 70's films can be.

Viva L'Italia
Roberto Rosselini directs the tale of how Guiseppe Garibaldi storms Sicily and southern Italy to unite the Italians under one flag. The sets and vistas are amazing. The plot is there, but overall it's kinda tough to follow because it's the kind of epic that squeezes several months (years?) of military campaigning into a film of a mere 2 hours. There's a digressing plot which comes out of nowhere about a woman who helps Garibaldi land in mainland Italy. Overall, it was a good film but a bit incoherent. Lots of epic war scenery.

Kes
The one with the falcon. I could not understand a word of what they were saying. I believe they're speaking old english, or perhaps orcish.

Night of the Scorpion (and again with commentary)
Watched a trio of spanish gialli (or amarillo?). This one was first up. A widower marries a beautiful young woman and invites her to his family mansion - where his sister and widowed stepmother lurk in the shadows. Gothic and moody. A neat little film, if a bit slow in the first part of it. I also have to say that while there are some murders on screen, they are all fairly dull. All are of the variety "... and then a pair of gloved hands emerge from out of frame with a razor and slits her throat!". No flair to it at all. I believe this may be the dividing line between genre directors who often worked in horror and those who didn't. Horror directors from the time would stage their murder scenes as lavishly as they could, as that was pretty much the trademark of the genre. This guy didn't, probably because he had no experience and didn't understand the genre or audience. Watched the film again with commentary for some reason.

In the Eye of the Hurricane
Another spanish giallo, this time in the vein of Umberto Lenzis early works like An Ideal Place to Kill - no wait, I mean the one before that: A Quiet Place to Kill, you know The one with the alternative title Paranoia (Altough not to be confused with the earlier yet Lenzi giallo Paranoia, with the alternative title Orgasmo). Anyway, a Jet Setter giallo about a woman who leaves her husband for a new lover who just happens to be played be Jean Sorel. I liked this one. Twists and turns, lovely scenery and all that comes with it. The spanish title translates to In the Eye of the Hurricane, the Italian title translates to The Fox with the Velvet Tale. There's no fox in it, but you've gotta keep up with those animal titles.

The Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll
Paul Nashy headlined 3 giallo, of which this was the middle one. He did have bit parts in some others, but here he's the star. This one comes in between the rather dull and ugly 7 Murders for Scotland Yard and the later fantastic A Dragonfly for Each Corpse. The plot is basicly the same as most spanish giallo I've ever seen: A group of seedy characters hole up in a grand estate as a murderer lurks in the shadows. See also the two films above, as well as The Killer is one of 13.

Jeremiah Johnson
Robert Redford as a trapper in beautiful nature scenery. It's got all the visuals, but none of the emotional depth. Again, something that 70's cinema seemed to lack. There's just something very distant about it. Also, Redford can't really deliver a character in despair. Should have cast someone else.

The Weekend Murders
A great not-quite giallo. Humorous, whismy yet clever. Very Agatha Christie like with it's british setting, but still clearly italian. Well made, paced and edited. I liked this one alot. There's little to no gore in it tho, this is purely a procedeural giallo but the upside is that the characters all feel fleshed out.