Page 99 of 173 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109149 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Just saw 'Cube' and Cube 2 (squared?) for the first time ever! I don't have time to write a real review on either, but the first is just sooo much better. Cube 2 sets up a good premise but then doesn't do anything with it! And the mystery that made the first film so great is just pulled away more in the sequel, and the characters are less memorable, and oh god there's a third one. Well I'll try to voice my opinion on that when I see it (maybe Tuesday night). Sorry this was so short.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    We Were Soldiers
    I thought I'd think it would be good. I remember seeing it back in the day but couldn't recall anything from it. It's a pretty boring film.

Avengers: Infinity War
    Great time at the cinema.

What have you done to Solange?
    May have commented on this already. Revisiting it. I enjoyed it more the second time around but it is a very slow burner as far as giallos go. However beyond that it's very well made, which is always - always a plus.

Blindness
    Crazy film which I really enjoyed. Edge of my seat and a lot of memorable moments.

The Crazies
    Romero's classic. I think the buildup is great and I remember really liking it the first time around. Overall it's a neat little film about societal breakdown but it doesn't really keep me entertained all the way through.

Wake up and kill
    Italian crime caper from the 60's. I don't think there's any killing going on in this film, which makes the british video title somewhat misleading. However the cast impresses with a very handsome Robert Hoffman breaking into jewelry stores and chased by Gian Maria Volanté.

L'assadio dell'alcazar
    Italian fascist propaganda film from 1940, set in the Spanish civil war. SURPRISINGLY well made war scenes. Despite being nearly 80 years old the action scenes play out just like you'd expect from modern war films - sans the shaky Saving Private Ryan camerawork of course.

Five women for the killer
    A giallo which doesn't quite cut it. However apparently this is in Arrow Video's pipeline down the road and I'd be willing to revisit it because the copy I saw was in a horrible state.

The Crimes of the Black Cat
    Exellent giallo. Also on Youtube. As for a bluray release, well we'll see. Dorado Films as the US distribution rights and they're probably not going to release it anytime soon.

Day of Anger
    Spaghetti western. One of the better ones I've come across (except for Leone's).

The Working Class goes to Heaven
    Elio Petri, a political filmmaker who also did Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion, delivered a political drama set in a factory. The film won the Palme d'Or the year after his previous film won an Oscar. He was no doubt pretty hot stuff. I didn't find the film to be all that enjoyable - mostly because everyone in the film is constantly shouting in very noisy enviroments.

Our Souls at Night
    Old-people-romantic-film with Redford and Jane Fonda.

The weapon, the hour, the motive
    Pretty good and stylish giallo. Also on Youtube.

The Night of the Generals
    Ok, so brace yourself; Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif, Donald Pleasance and Christopher Plumber all feature in this film on a murder investigation set in nazi occupied Warzaw and Paris. Great film, but very messy. You could tell that the filmmakers overreached themselves.

The Pajama Girl Case
    A giallo set in Australia. That's a first. Apparently also based on a real case. Good film, but one hell of a slow burner.

The Designated Victim
    Tomas Milian stars in this giallo take on Strangers on a Train. For once, he's not the psycho.

Northanger Abbey
    I don't have to tell you guys what this is about.

Enigma Rosso
    Fabio Testi returns in a Massimo Dalamano penned giallo which is supposed to have been the writer's last directoral outing before he died. The film is VERY Solange-esque, in a (I suppose) good way.

Body Puzzle
    Lambarto Bava's 90's giallo plays more like a 90's serial killer thriller and should probably not be considered a giallo at all.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 27-May-2018 at 07:39 PM. Reason: sdfsdfsdf

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'Solo'

Meh.

5/10
    Wow! I heard it wasn't doing great!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I really enjoyed it! It’s loads of fun without all the weight of the saga entries. Of course there’s no replacing Harrison Ford, but I think the kid did great in his own way and Glover pretty much nailed Billy Dee’s Lando!

The entire movie i kept thinking “this is a SW universe western”. Drop all the baggage, expectation, rose colored glasses, and it’s a fun time. Surprising for all the behind the scenes turmoil, really.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Wow! I heard it wasn't doing great!
    Yeh.

You know, it isn't terrible and, frankly, it's amazing that Ronnie managed to salvage something at all from that house fire. But, it's woefully by the numbers, with some truly duff characters and parts.

As Bassy said, Glover is pretty good. He even manages to get some the intonation of Bolly Dee Williams in certain scenes. Woody is grand too. But, overall, it comes out a bit flat.

I just can't buy Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo either. So, right there you have a big dent.

It's a "meh", but I mildly entertaining "meh", if you get what I mean? And I'm firmly in the "it should never have been made" camp. It really should have been about entirely new characters. Hooking everything on Han Solo was a very, very, bad idea.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    Black Sunday (1960) 7/10
    Italian witch/vampire movie. I'm sure some here have seen it. I thought it was fairly decent. A little light on dialogue and story, but the atmosphere mostly made up for it. Barbara Steele was easy on the eyes, too.
    I am to revisit this soon. Recently bought the Bluray.
    Thinking of a double bill with The Long Hair of Death. But I'll probably wait until fall to get a cozy atmosphere out of it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'Annihilation'

Alex Garland's sci-fi thought provoker that was somehow denied a cinema release by Paramount - where it would have looked great - and hocked off to Netflix. A strange veil, dubbed "The Shimmer", has descended in some part of the US and is changing the cellular structures of eveything within in a mindless, random fashion. Squads of soldiers who have been sent into the Shimmer fail to return, but for one man - Kane (Oscar Isaac). He's the husband of biologist Lena (Natalie Portman) who later chooses to enter the Shimmer, along with four other scientists. Their mission is to reach the "centre" of the Shimmer.

'Annihilation' is one of the best sci-fi films I've seen in a long, long time. It's smart, doesn't treat its audience like idiots and a lot of its questions remain open, prompting the viewer to think about the story long after it finishes. I found it very hard to find any flaws in it, other than I could have done with more. I honestly cannot think of anything that I didn't like, so I have to give it top marks.

10/10
    I don’t know if I’d give it a perfect score, but I do agree that it’s a fantastic science fiction film! Garland is quickly becoming one of leaders in the genre!

Super Moderator

UK
    I Love You, Man

I've seen this a few times already, but it had been a while. Paul Rudd and Jason Siegel 'bromantic comedy'. Needed a cheery pick-me-up and this delivered as expected.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I don’t know if I’d give it a perfect score, but I do agree that it’s a fantastic science fiction film! Garland is quickly becoming one of leaders in the genre!
    A 10/10 from me is rare. Ask anyone.

But, I honestly can't find a fault that can knock down the score. I absolutely loved it and it stayed with me afterward too, which is odd enough these days.

If I have to point something out as a (very mild) "complaint", sometimes the CGI looks a little off here and there. But, it was never so bad that it interfered with my enjoyment.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Shootem's average issued movie rating is 2.4/10

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I Love You, Man

I've seen this a few times already, but it had been a while. Paul Rudd and Jason Siegel 'bromantic comedy'. Needed a cheery pick-me-up and this delivered as expected.
    I’ve always loved that film. It seemed to hit a certain mark with me for various reasons. Plus I love Rush, so I’m sure that helps too.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Shootem's average issued movie rating is 2.4/10

I’ve always loved that film. It seemed to hit a certain mark with me for various reasons. Plus I love Rush, so I’m sure that helps too.
    Aye, it makes you feel good and the two leads are nice chaps. The story is interesting enough and different enough to make it stand out, too, plus it's genuinely funny and doesn't get drowned in too much of that 'American R-rated improv comedy' thing that really consumed some American comedies in the past decade.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Death Wish(2018)
    The new version written by Joe Carnahan, directed by Eli Roth, and starring Bruce Willis. Depending on your opinion, it could be a remake of the Bronson film, but it was originally a novel and I hear the two films adapt different aspects, so it’s also just another go at the book’s story.

After some mediocre-to-bad reviews, I’d expected a train wreck with Roth’s first venture outside of the horror genre, but it’s ultimately a competent and entertaining flick. That’s not to say it doesn’t have some issues, but overall it’s entertaining.. Willis is....well....he’s Willis. Everyone knows how he’s been in recent years, but it seems to work for him in this film. I liked the more modern inclusion of social media/technology and how it would be involved with vigilante justice like this. I recommend it for a viewing.
    Last edited by bassman; 05-Jun-2018 at 10:11 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Death Wish(2018)
    The new version written by Joe Carnahan, directed by Eli Roth, and starring Bruce Willis. Depending on your opinion, it could be a remake of the Bronson film, but it was originally a novel and I hear the two films adapt different aspects, so it’s also just another go at the book’s story.

After some mediocre-to-bad reviews, I’d expected a train wreck with Roth’s first venture outside of the horror genre, but it’s ultimately a competent and entertaining flick. That’s not to say it doesn’t have some issues, but overall it’s entertaining.. Willis is....well....he’s Willis. Everyone knows how he’s been in recent years, but it seems to work for him in this film. I liked the more modern inclusion of social media/technology and how it would be involved with vigilante justice like this. I recommend it for a viewing.
    I try and stay cleart of Bruce Willis films, but if you recommend it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I wouldn’t necessarily go out of my way to view it or purchase it, but it’s a way to pass a few hours at home if you have access to it.

Tomb Raider(2018)

Much like above, it’s an entertaining way to pass some time. It’s probably the best existing video game adaptation, but as we all know, that’s not saying much when you consider the history of game movies. I did enjoy Walton Coggins in the film, as he’s an actor I’ve thoroughly enjoyed ever since I first saw him chewing scenery as the villain in Justified. Alicia Vikander is fine as Lara Croft, I certainly enjoy her performance more than what we saw in the past with Angelina Jolie.