Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'Cube Zero'

1/10

'The Inbetweeners'

7.5/10
    Now you need to see The Inbetweeners 2. Not quite as good IMHO, but still has some great bits!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    It's in the line up Neil.

It's gas to think I completely avoided the show when it was on, because I thought it was just another unfunny, hipster, dickhead, teen series. But, it's genuinely one of the few shows that's had me laughing out loud.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    It's in the line up Neil.

It's gas to think I completely avoided the show when it was on, because I thought it was just another unfunny, hipster, dickhead, teen series. But, it's genuinely one of the few shows that's had me laughing out loud.
    I initially avoided it as the adverts made it look shit, but then I watched a bit when channel-hopping and discovered it was totally the opposite of what sort of show I thought it would be - very much about the outcasts in the school's social strata - and, like you say, genuinely funny. So I got caught up before the second series aired, IIRC, and I've been a fan ever since.

Ireland
    'The Inbetweeners 2'

7.5/10

Just as good as the first film and in some parts better.

Super Moderator

UK
    'The Inbetweeners 2'

7.5/10

Just as good as the first film and in some parts better.
    Indeed.

I loved all the bits where they were bashing 'gap yah' wankers ... and, of course, poo chute. I didn't get to see the movie in cinemas like with the first, but I did make a point of avoiding the trailers (just a single viewing of the first trailer - which I then forgot about), so when I caught it on Blu-Ray it was lovely a fresh. Best way of viewing ... but sometimes you just can't resist a trailer, but then other times you just get sucked in too far (like with Prometheus' preposterous pile of never-ending trailers - good flick, but spoiled too much by all the damn trailers that just teased me in so strongly ... same thing happened with Hobo With A Shotgun, I got addicted to all the damn trailers because I was so ravenous to see the flick, so when I finally did the impact was sorely dented ... still loved the flick though).

Anyway, yes, Inbetweeners 2 was just as good as the first - a rare feat in itself.

Ireland
    There's some great parts in it alright. Like the TV show, it's stupid, lowbrow, juvenile and somewhat repetitive, but it works so bloody well.

When Jay goes to hit his uncle for calling his girlfriend fat and it turns midway into a little girly slap. I laughed until I choked.

Ireland
    'Mad Max Fury Road'

8/10

Much more enjoyable than I thought it would be. I even forgot about Theron's stupid robot arm!

'Deathstalker'

3/10

Crap score for a crap film, but still enjoyable for what it was.

'The Warrior and the Sorceress'

2/10

'Philomena'

6/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Road To Perdition - 8/10

It's taken me years and years to get around to seeing this movie for the first time. Finally gave it a spin last night - good flick all-round.

Ireland
    'It Follows'

8.5/10

'The Loved Ones'

8/10

'Nightcrawler'

8.5/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Agreed, I really dug Nightcrawler. Top performance for JG, and a really interesting world and subculture presented. For all the messed up things that go on in that movie, you simultaneously can't help but respect the sheer gumption and get-up-and-go attitude ... albeit, like I said, to do something rather messed up.

Ireland
    Well, "get-up-and-go" is admirable when it's exhibited by a balanced mind. Gyllenhaal's character in 'Nightcrawler' though is a whacko and is quite a dangerous person IMO. Certainly not someone who I would trust.

Gyllenhaal nailed it though. He creeped me out. He's a very uncomfortable character in that film.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, "get-up-and-go" is admirable when it's exhibited by a balanced mind. Gyllenhaal's character in 'Nightcrawler' though is a whacko and is quite a dangerous person IMO. Certainly not someone who I would trust.

Gyllenhaal nailed it though. He creeped me out. He's a very uncomfortable character in that film.
    Oh absolutely, you wouldn't trust him at all and his actions are dangerous ... but I think that in his mind the choices he makes are entirely sane and logical, it's just that his morality is decidedly skewed, so within his own bubble - on his terms - his get-up-and-go is admirable (or, rather, almost admirable), but by any actually sane or rational measure his actions are deplorable. You almost admire the character's drive and determination - that kind of 'the viewer is complicit and along for the ride' thing - but his actions are horribly skewed ... what's even worse is that the society he inhabits rewards the things he does.

United States
    'It Follows'

8.5/10

'The Loved Ones'

8/10
    Loved these two flicks. Waiting for Nightcrawler to hit Netflix this month IIRC.

Ireland
    Yeh. The more I think about 'It Follows' the more I want to watch it again. I listened to the soundtrack today in work on YouTube. It's minimal but excellent.

United States
    Yeh. The more I think about 'It Follows' the more I want to watch it again. I listened to the soundtrack today in work on YouTube. It's minimal but excellent.
    Thoroughly enjoyed it at the theater. Loved the way it was shot/directors use of camera, old school look & presentation (right down to soundtrack), minimalist vibe, understated story & thorough & total commitment to its internal logic.

One of the better/fresher new horror films I've seen in a while.