Page 88 of 173 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Ireland
    'Get Out'

Entertaining black comedy masquerading as a horror film which, unfortunately, keeps itself back by engaging in a completely ridiculous story. But taken with an extremely large pinch of salt, it remains enjoyable if quite predictable. It's best watched not knowing anything other than the basic story - young inter-racial couple visit her well to do parents, but not is all quite as things seem. That's all you should be armed with before watching.

While a decent horror-comedy (and I use "horror" very loosely), it's still somewhat astonishing that it currently holds a 99% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes? It really isn't that good.

It probably makes for "better" viewing in a racially charged and hysterical country like the US. But, outside of that nation, it looks sort of twee.

Well done, but certainly not half as smart as some people think it is and scuppered with a couple of dodgy characters here and there.

6/10

'Mindhorn'

An Edgar Wright(ish) comedy, without Edgar Wright, 'Mindhorn' is a comedy about a fictional, Isle of Man, super detective - complete with an ocular apparatus that allows him to "see the truth" - whose actor (Richard Thorncroft) is pulled out of his eternal unemployment to help the Manx Police Force track down a killer, who says he'll only deal with Mindhorn. This inevitably leads to a lot of chucklesome nonsense in what's probably one of the better British comedies in the last five years. The film draws on low budget British detective series from the 60's/70's/80's and cheap semi-sci fi like 'The Avengers'. Mindhorn himself is a cross between Jason King and Bergerac and is brilliantly played by one half of 'The Mighty Boosh' main duo, Julian Barratt. Support comes from Steve Coogan, Simon Farnaby and Essie Davis in serviceable roles.

Good, cheap, fun that will have most people giggling, but probably not belly laughing.

7/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    The Fate of the Furious.

Let me first make it clear that I am NOT a fan of The Fast & The Furious movies and the only reason I went to see it in theaters was because my mama and brother brought me along to see it (they are more fans of these movies than I am).

I imagine this movie probably did well with it's fans but i didn't care much about it although I admit the female villain Cypher was pretty hot in a creepy girl kinda way. Also for characters who are supposed to be heroes they do cause a lot of traffic wrecks and I imagine in real life there would be innocent people getting injured or killed because of them.

I give it a 4/10
    Just a zombie girl on a Saturday night. <3

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Milano Odia
    A polizioteschi about a crazy psychopath who captures the daughter of a wealthy businessman. Recently released by Shameless under the title Almost Human.
    It was alright but it didn't really keep the tempo I was hoping for. Definetly entertaining but maybe not as entertaining as some of the other films.

Frayed
    A -00's slasher. Pretty effectively told. Not that great in the end tho, mostly because the twist ending ruined it.

Cold Eyes of Fear
    An italian giallo revolving around a home invasion. A pair of thieves are on the look for some important archives and keep the residents hostage. Borderline "not giallo" I guess since it's fairly light on mystery.

The Night Evelyn came out of the grave
    Solid giallo. Top marks. It's got it all, crazy characters, bloodshed, gothic tombs, elaborate schemes... It's like a blend of Hatchet for the Moneymoon, Black Sunday and a typical Giallo.

Alien: Covenant
    See other thread.

Absurd
    Boring and not as "absurd" as the title claims.

Gravity
    Great film! Only action film set in space that's not a sci fi?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    John Wick Chapter 2 - totally delivers on continuing the goods set in motion from the first film. Absolutely gorgeous cinematography and stunt coordination. Proof that action can still be fresh, original, thrilling, and even quite beautiful as well. 9/10 for the kind of film it sets out to be, maybe a 6/10 on general movie terms.

Free Fire - this flick kinda snuck up on me. I'd never heard of it, but kinda ran into it, gave it a chance, and loved it. Starring Sharlto Copley, Brie Larson, Armie Hammer, and even Michael Smiley(Tyres from Spaced!), it's basically a low budget comedy/thriller set around an illegal gun trade that goes horribly and hilariously​ wrong. Highly recommended​! 8/10

United States
    Time Machine (1960) A classic from my childhood, it's been years since I've watched it. Largely holds up, and thoroughly enjoyed a long overdue watch.

Dawn of the Dead (1978) Another "been way to long since last viewing" of my second favorite horror movie (top 5 all genres) of all time. This movie ALWAYS delivers, never gets old.

Super Moderator

UK
    Night of the Comet
    I'd never seen this one before, but it was quite good fun and the scenes of L.A. streets deserted were rather effective. It kind of comes apart in the second half and loses focus, as if it's not all that sure what it wants the story to be, but the first half is very good indeed with a decent ending. Jolly good fun.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Night of the Comet
    I'd never seen this one before, but it was quite good fun and the scenes of L.A. streets deserted were rather effective. It kind of comes apart in the second half and loses focus, as if it's not all that sure what it wants the story to be, but the first half is very good indeed with a decent ending. Jolly good fun.
    Great film. At least the first two acts. I agree that the more it goes on, the less it seems to make sense as a coherent piece of storytelling. The very final act, the break out part, feels almost tacked on. That reasearch facility seems to have spared no expense in no department - except security...

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Night of the Comet
    One thing that bugs me about this movie is how inconsistently the "zombies" (if we could call them that) were portrayed. Some of them are basically mindless compulsory "flesh-eaters", as portrayed in most post-Romero zombie movies, yet others are not.

Ireland
    I just remember the whole thing bugging me. As empty headed as its heroines.

United States
    My favorite part of Night of the Comet was when the two girls decided to loot the shopping mall for ugly 80's fashion clothing while the song "Girls justa wanna have fun" was playing. Good ol' 80's camp.

Anyways I recently went to see Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man Tell No Tells. I'm not a fan of these movies but I do love Johnny Depp as an actor and there were some funny scenes involving his character Jack Sparrow. So I give it a 6/10.

Ireland
    Colossal

Generally amusing film, up to a point, about an irresponsible, permanetly pissed up, party girl whose issues manefest themselves as a Kaiju in Korea (why not Japan?). Anne Hathaway (Gloria) is very watchable in it, but she is in most things, and the story is entertaining until Jason Sudeikis' character (Oscar) takes a sudden turn. It remains somewhat novel in concept, but the consclusion of the film seems to be suggesting that all of the problems in Gloria's life are the result of the men she has in it.

6/10

Sausage Party

A raucous, irreverent, utterly profane comedy that cares nothing about going overboard and is probably better for it. Making very sniping comments about sex, race and religion, it dosen't even bother to hold anything back, resulting in a pretty scathing spoof on schmaltzly Disney/Pixar films. It's the type of film just either go with or don't and will provode mostly chuckles, with a few belly laughs scattered throughout. Hard to believe, at times, that it wasn't made by a bunch of teenagers.

7/10

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Lucien Lacombe
    A french drama set in Vichy France. A young and cruel, but adventurous boy is rejected by the resistance and instead joins the gestapo. Supposed to display how a person can end up as a collaborator. I enjoyed it. Great film. Played well and was quite exciting, despite the obviously heavy subject.

Eyeball
    Umberto Lenzi directed giallo set in Spain. A group of american tourists are beset by a killer who keeps poking out his victims eyeballs. Despite the almost innumerable murders going on, the tourists seem to have no trouble relaxing. The chief inspector keeps all the eyeballs in his drawyer for quick and easy access during hearings. I've also started to notice a trend in Lenzi's films as to who the killer is... Solid giallo.

Ant Man
    Enjoyed it a great deal! Fun and action packed. I usually don't care much for superhero films, but this one did it for me.

The Red Queen Kills seven times
    Another solid giallo, this time by Emilio P. Miraglia who also directed The Night Evelyn came out of the Grave (see previous post). This film is really just a variation of that film. The only real difference is a much heavier emphasis on the giallo part of the plot, the injection of a modelling bureau as a major plot point (again, see: Giallo) and less gothic horror... Though there is still a creepy cobwebbed castle as one of the big settings.

Get Out
    Wow, what a film! I had no idea of what this film was about but it got me hooked from the get-go! Great horror story. Don't want to give to much away for those who don't know what it's about, but it's really effective.

Phenomena
    Dario Argento. The Arrow box set, which was apparently the 8th best selling blu ray product in the UK in the month of May. I guess that says alot about how popular this film still is. To be honest... I think this is where Argento loses his touch. Tenebre was spectacular, and despite minor missteps all of his films up to this one have been really good. But this one just doesn't cut it. It really needs to loose around 10 minutes of running time and Argento needs to let someone else score his scenes. God damn, the music in this film is horrible. Motörhead playing to scenes of Jennifer Connely exploring a house? What the fuck? Despite all that tho, it does have telepathic hordes of insects, revengeful chimps, Giorgio Armani costumes and fantastic scenery ... So it's certainly fairly crazy.

The Eye in the Labyrinth
    A bland and rather dull giallo. Nothing much happens. It does pay off fairly well, however, but by the end of it I'd lost all interest.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

Sausage Party

A raucous, irreverent, utterly profane comedy that cares nothing about going overboard and is probably better for it. Making very sniping comments about sex, race and religion, it dosen't even bother to hold anything back, resulting in a pretty scathing spoof on schmaltzly Disney/Pixar films. It's the type of film just either go with or don't and will provode mostly chuckles, with a few belly laughs scattered throughout. Hard to believe, at times, that it wasn't made by a bunch of teenagers.

7/10
    It's amazing how they could make fun of every stereotype around the world using grocery store items. Who would have ever thought?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Eyeball
    Umberto Lenzi directed giallo set in Spain. A group of american tourists are beset by a killer who keeps poking out his victims eyeballs. Despite the almost innumerable murders going on, the tourists seem to have no trouble relaxing. The chief inspector keeps all the eyeballs in his drawyer for quick and easy access during hearings. I've also started to notice a trend in Lenzi's films as to who the killer is... Solid giallo.

Ant Man
    Enjoyed it a great deal! Fun and action packed. I usually don't care much for superhero films, but this one did it for me.

The Red Queen Kills seven times
    Another solid giallo, this time by Emilio P. Miraglia who also directed The Night Evelyn came out of the Grave (see previous post). This film is really just a variation of that film. The only real difference is a much heavier emphasis on the giallo part of the plot, the injection of a modelling bureau as a major plot point (again, see: Giallo) and less gothic horror... Though there is still a creepy cobwebbed castle as one of the big settings.

Phenomena
    Dario Argento. The Arrow box set, which was apparently the 8th best selling blu ray product in the UK in the month of May. I guess that says alot about how popular this film still is. To be honest... I think this is where Argento loses his touch. Tenebre was spectacular, and despite minor missteps all of his films up to this one have been really good. But this one just doesn't cut it. It really needs to loose around 10 minutes of running time and Argento needs to let someone else score his scenes. God damn, the music in this film is horrible. Motörhead playing to scenes of Jennifer Connely exploring a house? What the fuck? Despite all that tho, it does have telepathic hordes of insects, revengeful chimps, Giorgio Armani costumes and fantastic scenery ... So it's certainly fairly crazy.
    1) Aye, "Eyeball" is laughable in some regards. It was an okay giallo, but a bit mediocre.

2) I've watched "Ant Man" a couple of times and it's an awful lot of fun. The villain's a bit naff, but the real fun is in the hero becoming the character and the overall style and execution.

3) I've just watched that one a week ago, myself. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven't seen "The Night Evelyn..." yet, but I will get around to it sometime soon. I'll post a proper review of it tomorrow.

4) Yeah, I never really got on with Phenomena, either. It was alright, but I can't really remember much about it. The one thing I most remember is from a making of documentary about Argento in general and how the 'swarm of flies on the building' was done (coffee grounds in water superimposed over the shot). IIRC this was before he did Terror At The Opera (aka Opera), which I really enjoyed, so he wasn't quite out of juice at this point, but the cracks began to show.

Ireland
    'The Karate Kid'

Classic 80's coming age film that's kept its shine pretty well over the last 30+ years. There was a lot more to the picture than I remember, having consigned it to the "80's teen movie" bin a long time ago. But, as an older man, there's still a lot to enjoy and it's not a twee picture by any means. The standout performance of Pat Morita (Mr Miyagi) is still the centre of the film and while there are some characters that border on camp, it doesn't go all in to that route. The greatest limitation of the film, though, is actually the fighting in the tournament sequence finale. I understand the kids (actually people in the 20s) weren't trained in martial arts, but the "karate" is quite awful and further hindered by poor camera work that clearly shows that no contact was being made. Surprising, considering that it was directed by John Avildsen, who made 'Rocky' 8 years previously.

8/10