Page 39 of 173 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

UK

7/10
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Ireland
    'Quatermass and the Pit'

The Hammer version. Still enjoyable after all these years. I think I still prefer the old BBC version though.

7/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    No Country For Old Men - 9/10

Gave it a third spin last night and it's a stone cold classic. It gets a little bit wobbly in the closing passages that go against traditional styles of film narrative and structure, but it comes round in the end. A superb film with a subtly dark wit and a meticulous attention to pure filmmaking.

The Devils - 7.5/10

I'd never seen it before, and naturally it was the Warner Bros cut, and while it has a few moments that a bit 'overly lofty', the hysteria throughout the film is perfectly maddening. The chaos of such events as perpetrated by men (or women) who claim absolute truth with no evidence is terrifying ... in many ways it's an exceedingly unsettling film ... and the set design is fantastic.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'Quatermass and the Pit'

The Hammer version. Still enjoyable after all these years. I think I still prefer the old BBC version though.

7/10
    Love that one too.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post
    "Love in the Time of Monsters"

7/10
    Never heard of it, but now I'm about 100 different kinds of intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Gave it a third spin last night and it's a stone cold classic. It gets a little bit wobbly in the closing passages that go against traditional styles of film narrative and structure, but it comes round in the end. A superb film with a subtly dark wit and a meticulous attention to pure filmmaking.
    I was let down the first time I saw it, as it SO defies convention & expectation in its structure & ending. But it gnawed at me for about a week, & the more I thought about it, the more I liked it, until finally I flat out loved it.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 20-Feb-2015 at 03:37 PM. Reason: .

Ireland

Easily the Coen's best picture.

[B]The Devils - 7.5/10

I'd never seen it before, and naturally it was the Warner Bros cut, and while it has a few moments that a bit 'overly lofty', the hysteria throughout the film is perfectly maddening. The chaos of such events as perpetrated by men (or women) who claim absolute truth with no evidence is terrifying ... in many ways it's an exceedingly unsettling film ... and the set design is fantastic.
    'The Devils' is sort of one of those films that is better to read about than to watch. It's history is fascinating, as is the history of all banned British films. Still a great picture, though, simply for the sheer madness it employs. Redgrave is brilliant in it as Sister Jeanne. Really "brave" of her (if you'll forgive me for using that term in this context) to take that role, being a Shakespearean lovie and all. Her roles up until then were relatively "normal".

UK
    Septic Man (2013) - 5/10

It's almost like a 'David Lynch' esqe version of 'The Incredible Melting Man'
    Still can't decide if I actually liked it or not.
    *Not one for people who are easily induced to vomit*

After The Dark (2013) - 7/10

Interesting version of the apocalypse scenario
    Artsy with some good story twists and some highs/lows
    Would have rated higher if the overarching story wasn't so transparent
    and the ending a bit too 'preachy'

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - 9/10

Great film - smiles all round. Enough peeps have reviewed it already, it's good.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Caught the Robocop remake on Netflix. It's obviously not a patch on the original and lacks the edge seen in the first, but viewed on its own terms it's not necessarily a bad flick. Probably elevated by the inclusion of great actors like Oldman, Haley, Jackson, and Keaton. 5/10. Take it or leave it, but not really a waste of time.

United States

"Before Sunrise" 10/10 (Must See) - Utterly charming romance. Ethan Hawke & Julie Delpy give great performances & have a great chemistry together. (They'd better, as the whole movie is spent with their characters simply walking & talking!)

The small fairy tale conceit aside of the premise itself, I've rarely seen such real characters portrayed, & this is perhaps THE best example I've ever seen of what it feels like to be young, in your 20's, passionate, full of ideas, feeling like everything you think & do is SO important, & falling in love.

"Before Sunset" 9/10 (Amazing) - Picking up with our same two characters after 9 years we get to find out what happened after that one night in Vienna. Did they meet again? What happened from there?

Some of the magic has faded from the fairy tale, as our main characters have entered the real world & had to adjust to life in their 30's. Again, the movie perfectly encapsulates the point in life that our leads find themselves in, as they try to figure out their feelings, what it's all about, & hang onto that magic & romanticism of youth.

"Before Midnight" 8/10 - (Great) As the third in the series picks up seven years later, our leads are now in their forties. Yet again, the movie perfectly captures the conversations, feelings, & issues that go along with this stage of life. The progression from magical romance to harsh reality is nearly complete here, as Jessie & Celine struggle with the question of how to keep the magic, romance, & love of youth alive in the face of all the harsh challenges that life gives us.

You will note that each film receives 1 point less than the one before. I think this is because the first film is SO magical & charming (while still real & believable), while each film that follows becomes a little less magical BUT even more real. As it should be. The films mature & grow up as they progress, WHICH IS PART OF WHAT THEY'RE ALL ABOUT. It just makes them less "fun" & more serious, particularly by the 3rd, which gets quite heavy & difficult to watch as it progresses, but does offer some relief & redemption at the end.

Taken as whole? 10/10 (must see).

"High Fidelity" 7/10 (Good) - Somewhat quirky indie rom-com. Had to deduct a point as I had a hard time connecting with the lead character/narrator, & most characters in the film in general, as they all carried a degree of unlikeability about them, but this is offset to some degree by a total lack of most rom-com conventions & tropes, which did make for a fairly refreshing change.

Ireland
    'Moby Dick'

6.5/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    "High Fidelity" 7/10 (Good) - Somewhat quirky indie rom-com. Had to deduct a point as I had a hard time connecting with the lead character/narrator, & most characters in the film in general, as they all carried a degree of unlikeability about them, but this is offset to some degree by a total lack of most rom-com conventions & tropes, which did make for a fairly refreshing change.
    I love High Fidelity. It'd get a 9/10 from me.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Same here. I've been a huge fan of that film since it was released and can't get enough of it. Paired with Grosse Pointe Blank, they made Cusack one of my favorite actors.

Mud - this movie kind of surprised me in the sense that I was expecting something quite different from what I actually saw. The description made it seem more like a man-on-the-run, which in some ways it is, but the biggest focus of the film is actually a coming of age tale for a 14 year old boy that finds comfort in unusual places. I wouldn't necessarily run out to buy it, but its a good little film if you're into similar themes. Currently on instant netflix. 7/10

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Same here. I've been a huge fan of that film since it was released and can't get enough of it.
    Eh, I would have liked to rated it higher, but the characters grated on my nerves SO badly. As soon as Rob started revealing the reasons for all of his previous (& current) break-up(s), he lost my sympathies. Jack Black just bugged me in general, & I didn't care much for (or about) his girlfriend Laura.

But the writing & dialog were pretty sharp & the story just unconventional enough that I still enjoyed it. But I don't feel compelled for a second viewing.

Paired with Grosse Pointe Blank, they made Cusack one of my favorite actors.
    Enjoyed him MUCH more in "Grosse Pointe Blank". That one would rate an easy 9/10 from me.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Jack Black just bugged me in general, & I didn't care much for (or about) his girlfriend Laura.

Enjoyed him MUCH more in "Grosse Pointe Blank". That one would rate an easy 9/10 from me.
    1)

2) Love Grosse Pointe Blank as well! Another 9/10 from me!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Jack black was indeed a bit irritating in the film but it seemed fitting. Most groups of friends have that one member of the group that's obnoxious and eventually gets chewed out, so it seemed true to life, IMO.

Escape From Alcatraz - most people have likely seen this Clint Eastwood classic, but I've just given it a viewing on Netflix for the first time in probably 20 years and it still holds up remarkably well. Certainly not one of Eastwood's top 10 classics, but a very solid film. I was also impressed just how closely they stuck to the particulars of the real life escape. 7/10
    Last edited by bassman; 25-Feb-2015 at 06:47 PM. Reason: .