Page 40 of 173 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    1)

2) Love Grosse Pointe Blank as well! Another 9/10 from me!
    The entire movie was brilliant, from the soundtrack on. And I'd always had a love for Minnie Driver since Circle of Friends(1995), even enjoying her sneeze and you miss her role in Goldeneye. Alan Arkin, a fricking genius at dead-pan comedy, practically phoned in his role here but every line was classic. For that matter, virtually every line anyone said was classic; Everybody's coming back to take stock of their lives. You know what I say? Leave your livestock alone. http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Grosse_Pointe_Blank

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I watched an interesting documentary on Netflix called Side By Side. The documentary focuses on the history, evolution, and pros and con's of celluloid filmmaking and digital filmmaking. Featuring interviews with many different filmmakers from Martin Scorsese to Christopher Nolan, this should be a must-see for our filmmaking members here at hpotd. Its very interesting for casual film fans like myself, as well. 9/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Agreed on "Escape From Alcatraz" and "Side By Side" - both excellent films - the former is nail-bitingly tense at times and is one of the less showy gems in Eastwood's back catalogue, and the latter is a fascinating look at what you'd initially consider would be a dry subject; the passion of the filmmakers regarding the topic bestows a real oomph into the doc.

Ireland
    'Dracula' (1958)

6.5/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States

"The Last House on Cemetery Lane" 5/10 (So-So) - Great title, fairly average low budget spook show. Once the spooky stuff starts it's mildly charming, in a quaint old fashioned sort of way, but beyond that not much to see here.

Ireland
    'Idiocracy'

6.5/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

UK

7/10

- - - Updated - - -

7/10
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Super Moderator

UK
    Cuban Fury - 5/10

A sort-of romcom featuring Nick Frost and Rashida Jones ... it was alright, but I never really got into it, and found the comedy lacking, personally. Shame really.

UK

6/10

- - - Updated - - -

7/10
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I gave John Landis' Burke and Hare a second viewing and enjoyed it even more than the first. The film most certainly has its share of issues but I actually feel like it's a return to form for the director.à Although very different, it harkens back to his old days of Animal House, American Werewolf, Blue Brothers, etc. A good number of laughs, a great plot, wonderful actors(including a reunion of Tim and Daisy from Spaced), etc. Most certainly better than the films in Landis' downslide like BB2000....

7.5/10

Super Moderator

Germany
    "What We Do in the Shadows" 8/10

Super Moderator

UK

Kid Cannabis - 4/10

Based on a true story. It mostly comes off as a bunch of idiot kids trying to be Scarface (smuggling weed across the US/Canada border through the woods), and you've seen it all before done far, far better. You get the impression these kids would be familiar with the lives of famous drug lords (both fictional and real) and yet they blunder into the same mistakes. If the movie is close to what actually happened you have to wonder how on earth they managed to get as far with it as they did (hauling $68m worth of weed over the border).

The most grating thing is the narration as the 'wannabe gangsta' lingo clashes to an infuriating degree with the lead actor's voice, which is rather unsuited to such dialogue. Indeed, I don't know if it's a mimicking of the real "kid cannabis", but the lead actor often does this weird thing with his eyes which proves to be quite distracting - kind of squinting, kind of not looking at anyone directly etc ... he gives it a go, but I don't really buy the supposed business capabilities of the titular character (a pep talk at the start of their drug running escapades doesn't inspire confidence).

Side characters are either grating or underwritten, and I was on the verge of turning it off most of the time - it was only because I saw I was over half way that I stuck it out to the end, but I wouldn't particularly recommend seeing it. Your mileage may vary, but it wasn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I gave John Landis' Burke and Hare a second viewing and enjoyed it even more than the first. The film most certainly has its share of issues but I actually feel like it's a return to form for the director.à Although very different, it harkens back to his old days of Animal House, American Werewolf, Blue Brothers, etc. A good number of laughs, a great plot, wonderful actors(including a reunion of Tim and Daisy from Spaced), etc. Most certainly better than the films in Landis' downslide like BB2000....

7.5/10
    Yeah, I dig that movie too. Saw it in the cinema and then again on telly and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. Not up to the standard of his best work, but it's a solid and entertaining flick. I'd gladly watch it again for a third time.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Kid Cannabis. It mostly comes off as a bunch of idiot kids trying to be Scarface (smuggling weed across the US/Canada border through the woods)
    Gets first load across, gets ridiculously high, eats all the food in the house, sits on the couch watching MTV2, falls asleep, roll credits.

United States
    What we do in the shadows was just plain wonderful. . loved it
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    What we do in the shadows was just plain wonderful. . loved it
    I just saw it Saturday, and I agree. Very fun flick.