Page 84 of 173 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Such as?
    * Biologists removing their helmets in an alien atmosphere
    * Scientists trying to pet alien creatures they've only just seen for the first time
    * The sudden "suicide pact" by the pilots
    * Bringing Guy Pearce along in old man make-up
    * Noomi Rapace's character getting triggered by a throwaway line referencing the creation of life (because apparently, she's sterile)
    * Two scientists deciding to split off from the main party in the alien ship
    * "Forgetting" to bring those two scientists along when returning to the ship

I mean, I can excuse stuff like that in a slasher film... But not this.

Ireland
    ...and...

Hooking up a long dead alien head to the ship's electric supply for...christ knows why...and it's still alive? What? Then explodes?

Emo scientist boyfriend get all pissed off after he's literally found the discovery of a lifetime.

He gets an infection, a serious one (maybe from removing his helmet earlier, he doesn't know). Does he tell the crew, nah sod that.

Noomi Rapeface's alien abortion, where she gets sliced open and sutured back together has no effect on her at all. She's up and running about in time time all. Fuck you abortion!!!

The black goo acting in any way it damn well pleases. It's turns one guy into a zombie, but makes Shaw an alien mama. Eh?

Stupid "geologist" that couldn't care less about the job he's on and decides that the first excursion onto a planet with alien civilisation is the right time to get wasted.

Ship's captain leaves his post to shag Charlize, while two of his crew are lost (the map guys too ). {OK, I can forgive that}

Women can't turn left or right apparently.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    * Biologists removing their helmets in an alien atmosphere
    * Scientists trying to pet alien creatures they've only just seen for the first time
    * The sudden "suicide pact" by the pilots
    * Bringing Guy Pearce along in old man make-up
    * Noomi Rapace's character getting triggered by a throwaway line referencing the creation of life (because apparently, she's sterile)
    * Two scientists deciding to split off from the main party in the alien ship
    * "Forgetting" to bring those two scientists along when returning to the ship

I mean, I can excuse stuff like that in a slasher film... But not this.
    1) IIRC that character's speciality was in biology/life forms - so he'd naturally be curious about an alien creature hitherto unknown by mankind ... a bit adventurous to try and touch it, sure, and the 'cutesy' way he approached it was a bit iffy, but not some staggering fault.

2) Very clearly explained in the film. Rapace's character says that the alien ship is filled with vessels that carry the black goo stuff that has screwed people up - it's a weapon - and the ship has plotted a course for Earth. As she explicitly says "There won't be a home to go back to!" - billions of people would be wiped out - the pilots sacrifice their lives and their ship for the good of mankind back on Earth. Your point is invalid.

3) Why not use a younger actor if you're needing the old man to look really feckin' old, something you can only achieve through extensive make-up effects? You wouldn't want to be applying that to an actual old man for 16 hour days. An added bit of star power. Could they have cast an elderly actor? Sure, but there were no doubt certain things that wouldn't be all that great for an elderly man to endure. So get a relatively young man to fill the part. I don't see the issue.

4) Well, yeah, she can't have children and it's something she's very upset about. Why wouldn't she get upset? The scene could have been tweaked a little to make it a bit more direct against her, perhaps, to justify the flip out, but everyone has their triggers.

5/6) The two scientists. I'd have to watch the movie again to refresh my memory, but IIRC dark is setting in (they headed out immediately, rather than wait until morning for a full day of exploring - they wanted to get out there straight away) and they want to get back (there's also a storm on its way). The others continue to explore a bit longer. Frankly, you need to split the group up so you can cause havoc. It could be tweaked slightly. Once they were split up they couldn't get to them because of the storm (the one that almost kills Rapace's character until David rescues her). The other two can't just stroll back in that weather.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    ...and...

Emo scientist boyfriend get all pissed off after he's literally found the discovery of a lifetime.

He gets an infection, a serious one (maybe from removing his helmet earlier, he doesn't know). Does he tell the crew, nah sod that.

Noomi Rapeface's alien abortion, where she gets sliced open and sutured back together has no effect on her at all. She's up and running about in time time all. Fuck you abortion!!!

The black goo acting in any way it damn well pleases. It's turns one guy into a zombie, but makes Shaw an alien mama. Eh?

Stupid "geologist" that couldn't care less about the job he's on and decides that the first excursion onto a planet with alien civilisation is the right time to get wasted.

Ship's captain leaves his post to shag Charlize, while two of his crew are lost (the map guys too ). {OK, I can forgive that}

1) He explains his mindset in the conversation with David, who then flips the script on him with the whole 'made you because we could' being the disappointing thing to learn.

2) He's also shit-faced drunk at the time, isn't he? We all make extremely sensible decisions when we're blitzed.

3) They could have gone further, but we see her - more than once - giving herself pain relief injections, and the sturdiness of her suit is helping her abdomen almost like a corset.

4) No doubt it acts in different ways when it encounters different biological matter.

5) The crew members aren't lost, he knows exactly where they are (on his hologram map - yes, the schism in technology did irk me too, between Alien (1979) and Prometheus (2012), and the excuse of the ship in Alien having crap tech because it's a mining vessel and the Prometheus having snazzy gear because it's company advanced tech doesn't wash, but it's an inherent issue with a prequel coming along decades after the original. A little bit of 'making old' of the tech in Prometheus would have been nice, though. However, you could easily argue the opposite - that Prometheus is far more appropriate to what they'd have at that point in time and that Alien was sorely limited by 1979 technology when trying to show computer displays and so on.

6) It is a bit silly, I agree. Dumb human fear response - run away ... might the ship have still clipped them even if they'd run at a tangent? It's hard to judge - and there's debris flying out the sky to boot. That is one aspect that does irk me, though.

Ireland
    Nah mini, you're just making excuses.

It's a terribly written film, and although much of the blame has been levelled at Lindelof, I don't think Rildey can be allowed to get away...er...Scott free, as it were.

In the end, I just don't think he gave that much of a crap and threw caution to the wind.

Hopefully, the next one is much, much, better. But, tbh, I'm done with the series. It's been so abused at this stage that it's a mess.

Thing is, 'Prometheus' didn't have to be that thick and the lengths it goes to screw up the mythical aspect of Alien doesn't sit well with me at all. Aside from all the tech being ridiculously out of whack, having the space jocky reduced to a guy in a suit (when clearly it was a skelleton in 'Alien') and the Xneomorph simply a weapon is wretched. It destroys the wonder of the former and latter idea is as dumb as anything. Having a weapon that's probably worse than your enemy? Fcuk sake.

It's a litany of bad ideas, coupled with an awful script, that need not be there.

I'd rather Scott just stopped with films altogether, in case he wrecks things further.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Regards to meeting a new life form;
    No person would react that way to a new life form. Nobody. Least of all a scientist. Also, I'm a viewer. And even I cringe at the idea of removing your helmet. Fucking idiots, the lot of them.

Also, lots of films have used really fucking old people to play really fucking old people. Just look at Max von Sydow and tell me he wouldn't have made a better old guy.

The point of it all is that the entire film is build around people making really contrived choices for the sole purpose of driving the plot forward. You end up raising your eyebrow at every single action made by every single character. Whoever wrote this film (Damon Lindelof...) has no fucking clue how humans act or react. Maybe the greatest twist of all is that in a movie about the origin of mankind, the writer is not even a man, but an AI?
    Last edited by EvilNed; 14-Mar-2017 at 10:44 PM. Reason: fsfsd

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    And even I cringe at the idea of removing your helmet. Fucking idiots, the lot of them.

Also, lots of films have used really fucking old people to play really fucking old people. Just look at Max von Sydow and tell me he wouldn't have made a better old guy.
    1) They discovered the atmosphere was breathable. So they took their helmets off.

2) Yes, Von Sydow is a great actor and could have done the role - but does that mean he would have even wanted to, or would have been available? Oh, and this is the same man who was considerably aged-up via make-up effects in The Exorcist. He was about 42/43 at the time of filming The Exorcist ... Guy Pearce was about 44 when filming Prometheus. Why didn't they get a genuinely old man for Father Merrin then, huh?! What an outrage!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 15-Mar-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Ireland
    Breathable doesn't mean that it isn't laced with microbes that can kill you, either in minutes or weeks though.

The "take the helmet off" thing is a sci fi trope, of course, and it might have been forgivable, if the writing wasn't poor in many other areas of the film too. But, it's just one of many things that the viewer either has to ignore or make excuses for. And if the viewer finds him/herself making too many excuses for the lapses in logic that a film exhibits, then the film is at fault.

There exists a forgivable level of excuses one can make for the shortcomings of any film. But 'Prometheus' ends up taking the piss.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    1) They discovered the atmosphere was breathable. So they took their helmets off.

2) Yes, Von Sydow is a great actor and could have done the role - but does that mean he would have even wanted to, or would have been available? Oh, and this is the same man who was considerably aged-up via make-up effects in The Exorcist. He was about 42/43 at the time of filming The Exorcist ... Guy Pearce was about 44 when filming Prometheus. Why didn't they get a genuinely old man for Father Merrin then, huh?! What an outrage!
    As I already said, I'm not a biologist but even I cringe at the idea of removing your helmet in an alien atmosphere. It's just beyond daft. Like the entire script. Not the premise, not the idea; But the script.

As Shootem said; There's just too may stupid, contrived excuses the viewer has to make for this film.

Super Moderator

UK
    Breathable doesn't mean that it isn't laced with microbes that can kill you, either in minutes or weeks though.

The "take the helmet off" thing is a sci fi trope, of course, and it might have been forgivable, if the writing wasn't poor in many other areas of the film too. But, it's just one of many things that the viewer either has to ignore or make excuses for. And if the viewer finds him/herself making too many excuses for the lapses in logic that a film exhibits, then the film is at fault.

There exists a forgivable level of excuses one can make for the shortcomings of any film. But 'Prometheus' ends up taking the piss.
    Some of your collective points are valid, but several have no decent footing (see my previous post responding to the points). The ones that I either agree with you on, or agree are reasonable, never caused me any troubles though when watching the movie so I enjoyed it plenty fine, thank you very much.

There are absolutely some issues that could have been polished up with some tweaks to the script (Lindelof has taken a lot of flack for it, although whether it's all down to him remains to be seen as he wasn't the original writer on the project), but I do wonder if some folks have to make a lot of excuses to continue disliking something beyond a reasonable degree because they've made up their mind and don't want to soften their resolve on the matter.

The issues on which I agree with you, though, never got in my way of enjoying the movie.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I think Damon Lindelof's writing shines through. I know he hasn't written a lot, but he did write a lot of LOST which suffered from similar criticism. I think his writing style is evident. His other blockbuster, Star Trek Into Darkness, suffers from similar problems...

Ireland
    The issues on which I agree with you, though, never got in my way of enjoying the movie.
    I don't agree with your reasonings for the issues though and they're not the first time I've heard them TBH. But if you enjoy it mini, more power to ya!!! Don't let anybody tell you what your entertainment is.

But, in the spirit of the interweb. YOU'RE WRONG AND YOU SHOULD KILL YOSELF F@G....

Seriously though, I'm not beyond filling in the logical gaps here and there on other films - hello Star Wars. Ewoks have the strength of chimpanzees or gorillas, that's why they can beat the Emperor's...ahem...crack troops - OK...we'll go with that.

I've watched 'Prometheus' about 5 times now (more times than I've watched good films!), thinking it's me. But it's not, it's the film. Thing is, there is a decent film in there trying to get out and the original (unadulterated by Lindelof) script read much better when I looked at it in 2012.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I've watched 'Prometheus' about 5 times now (more times than I've watched good films!), thinking it's me. But it's not, it's the film. Thing is, there is a decent film in there trying to get out and the original (unadulterated by Lindelof) script read much better when I looked at it in 2012.
    Same applies to me. When I first saw it in the theater I wasn't really receptive to the crap. But since then I've watched 2,5 times. The last time I couldn't really be bothered to make it through all of it. It's just too dumb. What the hell happened, man...

Super Moderator

United States
    Logan: 7.5 out of 10. I really appreciated it!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    "Get Out" - A nice almost black comedy (ha ha) slow burner... 7.5/10
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    "Get Out" - A nice almost black comedy (ha ha) slow burner... 7.5/10
    What I enjoyed most about "Get Out" was there wasn't lazy plot progression. The story does not rely upon serial bad decisions to move the plot along. <<<cough>>>Prometheus<<<cough>>>