Page 25 of 173 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    10/10 from me. One of my all time favorites. Carpenter at his best.
    I seem to recall him saying he basically had to shoot the film twice! After the original shoot, he was so unhappy with it they had, they did a huge reshoot. Something like a third of the film you now see is from that re-shoot!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK

8/10
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I seem to recall him saying he basically had to shoot the film twice! After the original shoot, he was so unhappy with it they had, they did a huge reshoot. Something like a third of the film you now see is from that re-shoot!
    Had to go refresh my memory. Per Wikipedia:

After viewing a rough cut of the film, Carpenter was dissatisfied with the results. Recalling the experience, Carpenter commented "It was terrible. I had a movie that didn't work, and I knew it in my heart".

Carpenter subsequently added the prologue with Mr. Machen (John Houseman) telling ghost stories to fascinated children by a campfire (Houseman played a similar role in the opening of the 1981 film Ghost Story). Carpenter added several other new scenes and re-shot others in order to make the film more comprehensible, more frightening, and gorier. Carpenter and Debra Hill have said the necessity of a re-shoot became especially clear to them after they realized that The Fog would have to compete with horror films that had high gore content.

Approximately one-third of the finished film is the newer footage.
    In addition to whats mentioned above, it seems like a lot of the "spooky" happenings leading up to the arrival of Blake & his crew, & the lingering location shots around Antonio Bay were from the reshoots as well IIRC.

Amazing that such a great movie emerged from such a patchwork shoot, & that some of the greatest elements of the film were added in reshoots, but obviously Carpenters instincts were correct.

United States
    7 1/2 out of 10. The Taking of Deborah Logan. Not normally a fan of cam footage/possession movies, but the ending of this is worth watching the build up to it...
    Kind of freaked me out.

UK

6.5/10

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Had to go refresh my memory. Per Wikipedia:

In addition to whats mentioned above, it seems like a lot of the "spooky" happenings leading up to the arrival of Blake & his crew, & the lingering location shots around Antonio Bay were from the reshoots as well IIRC.

Amazing that such a great movie emerged from such a patchwork shoot, & that some of the greatest elements of the film were added in reshoots, but obviously Carpenters instincts were correct.
    The director, along with producer(Debra Hill), realized they had to up the gore just a bit to compete with recent films like David Cronenberg's Scanners(which I don't have in my collection, damn it!). Mostly I try to pull this stuff from memory, but I cheated by watching my old ragged DVD copy of The Fog(with commentary by Carpenter & Hill, of course.). This movie still rules.
    Last edited by wayzim; 24-Oct-2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: B'cuz

UK

7/10

Ireland
    'Man on the Moon'

7/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States

"Hazmat" 4/10 - Fairly typical slasher with a couple of interesting ideas, but ultimately a poor representative of the subgenre.

"Found." 9/10 - Amazing coming-of-age story of a boy who discovers his big brother is a serial killer. Grim, slightly gritty, relatable to those that grew up in the 80's or as fans of comics, or the the horror genre, or that came from a dysfunctional family. Good stuff.

"Pork Chop" Trilogy & "Pig Girl" 8/10 - If you like slightly sleazy, micro budget, SOV Slashers 80's style, with a healthy dose of tongue-in-cheek juvenile humor (I know I do!), then you'll like these!

West Virginia horror auteur Eamon Hardiman assembles a cast of unpaid volunteer actors & crew & heads of into the woods of his native state to shoot fun & entertaining movies in the best "Hey gang, let's put on a show!" style with budgets around $1000-$3000.

Definitely movies to have a few beers & a good laugh with.

Ireland
    'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes'

9/10

Haven't enjoyed a new film that much in a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

'The Babadook'

6.5/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States

"Wrong Turn 6: Last Resort" 6/10 - Not the best of the series, but far from the worst either (like the horrible #5 that preceded it).

"See No Evil 2" 7/10 - Jen & Sylvia Soska are names that I'd been hearing a lot lately with the release of their 2nd film "American Mary". Given the budding reputations they'd earned thus far, I was a bit surprised to hear they were doing a slasher, much less a sequel. I've yet to see either of their previous films, so I was curious, & also unsure what to expect.

What we ended up with was a solid, though somewhat standard slasher. What does distinguish it is some very subtle & artistic moments, & a bit of uncommon emotional empathy for the usual stock victims.

Danielle Harris & Katherine Isabelle are along for the ride as well to liven up the proceedings with the usual level of scream queen excellence one could expect from either.

So, overall a strong, if somewhat average, example of the genre with some hints at the film making excellence that might lie behind it. I'm now very curious to see the other films from the "Twisted Twins', & also to see what they will come up with in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'The Babadook'

6.5/10
    Looking forward to seeing this one. Getting a bit of buzz lately.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 03-Nov-2014 at 09:46 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Moon - I watched American Mary on Halloween and thought it was rather good. Messed up and disturbing, too. 8/10.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Moon - I watched American Mary on Halloween and thought it was rather good. Messed up and disturbing, too. 8/10.
    Indeed! I'll have to check it out. I'm not a big "body horror" guy, but I am intrigued by this one, so we'll see.

"The Dirties" 7/10 - Imagine Quentin Tarantino in the body of Dylan Klebold or Eric Harris & you've pretty much got this movie. Doesn't offer anything new or insightful to an extent, but does tell a solid & poignant coming -of-age story about two friends, & how one of them takes their obsession with film too far...
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 03-Nov-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: .

UK

6.5/10 ..... would have gave it a 7 but the kid really got on my nerves.

- - - Updated - - -

5/10

UK

10/10