Page 47 of 173 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Ireland
    'Pitch Perfect'

3/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Ireland
    'Fight For Your Life'

5/10

Ireland
    'Airport 75'

5.6/10

'Airport 77'

5/10

'Frozen'

5.5/10

'Kajaki'

7/10

- - - Updated - - -

'Dallas Buyers Club'

9/10

United States
    Watched Spy last night, it was pretty good. Jude Law like a mofo.

Ireland
    'Island of Death'

2/10

United States

"We Are The Night" (6/10) - Watched this one last night. Not a bad glitz-n-glam/jet set eurotrash style vampire flick with a feminist twist. Reminiscent of 80's vampire flicks like "The Lost Boys" & "Near Dark".

"Only Lovers Left Alive" (9/10) - Watched as a follow up. Only tangentially a horror movie since it IS about vampires, but really more of a romantic drama and character study. Wonderfully slow & methodic, beautifully downbeat, almost lyrically melancholy.

Fine performances by Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston. a thoughtful examination of the immortal life and love of these two. Great soundtrack.

Highly recommend, if you're in the right mood and into that sort of thing.

Super Moderator

UK
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 5/10

Flashy, mercifully brief (I had assumed, being a Michael Bay production, that it'd be needlessly overlong, but it was a brisk 90-ish minutes), but kind of sloppy as well. Kinda meh, lots of CGI and weirdo physics and questionable references (once again a 'family' aimed movie from Michael Bay - albeit just a producer here - that features a Victoria's Secret advert, in this case in an eye-rolling moment during the credits) ... generally speaking I was never really fussed by TMNT. It just happened to be on the telly box this week so I gave it a looksee.

In A Lonely Place - 8/10

Humphrey Bogart plays a screenwriter whose best work lies before WWII, since when he's gained a violent temper and seems to be exhibiting some kind of post-war PTSD. He gets accused of the murder of a girl, while at the same time having a tumultuous relationship with his beautiful neighbour. Things inevitably spiral out of control. Bogart plays a rather complicated character, one who is tough to like for large portions of the movie, but you ultimately find some sympathy with him due to whatever is unresolved and bubbling under the surface. Watched it last night for the second time. I'd definitely recommend it.

Agreed on "Only Lovers Left Alive" - I thoroughly enjoyed watching it a few weeks back. There's a slightly woozy, dream-like quality to it ... like that reflective, introspective time at the end of a long night with people who mean a lot to you ... if that makes sense? I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but then with little else to watch I figured I'd give it a shot - I was pleasantly surprised. I'd likewise recommend it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Agreed on "Only Lovers Left Alive" - I thoroughly enjoyed watching it a few weeks back. There's a slightly woozy, dream-like quality to it ... like that reflective, introspective time at the end of a long night with people who mean a lot to you ... if that makes sense? I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but then with little else to watch I figured I'd give it a shot - I was pleasantly surprised. I'd likewise recommend it.

+1. Even though it isn't explicitly stated as such, & there is NO NEED to read it this way, as it works fine without, on some levels I took the movie as a drug/heroin metaphor, which both explains the dream-like quality, & makes a lot of the acting, actions, motives, & context of the move take on different meanings.

Ireland
    'Charlie's Farm'

3/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    +1. Even though it isn't explicitly stated as such, & there is NO NEED to read it this way, as it works fine without, on some levels I took the movie as a drug/heroin metaphor, which both explains the dream-like quality, & makes a lot of the acting, actions, motives, & context of the move take on different meanings.
    Aye, that's exactly how I read the movie, too.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Watched The Warriors for the first time in 15-20 years. Still holds up very well.

Coincidentally, just recently I viewed all of Twin Peaks(and instantly fell in love with it) and the entire time I kept thinking the actor that played Audrey's uncle looked SO familiar but I never could put my finger on it. While watching The Warriors my question was answered. He has the classic "come out to play-ay" line...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Watched The Warriors for the first time in 15-20 years. Still holds up very well.

Coincidentally, just recently I viewed all of Twin Peaks(and instantly fell in love with it) and the entire time I kept thinking the actor that played Audrey's uncle looked SO familiar but I never could put my finger on it. While watching The Warriors my question was answered. He has the classic "come out to play-ay" line...
    Ah, The Warriors - what a brilliant film! It's a shame that the Director's Cut kinda puts a dirty smudge on the window, so-to-speak, with the 'comic book transitions' inserted into it (they're totally pointless and the only change in the DC). I've got it on Blu-Ray, but the disc only has the DC on it.

Twin Peaks - aye, I love me some Twin Peaks! I remember going "ooh! ooh! it's him!" when Audrey's uncle arrived on the scene ... those baguettes did look mighty tasty.

Ireland
    'Cowboys & Aliens'

6.5/10

'Paul'

8/10

Super Moderator

UK
    The Firm - 8.5/10

Never seen it before, and I'm not usually one for legal thrillers, but this was rather good! Quite tense towards the end, too.

Ireland
    'Dark Shadows'

4/10