Page 46 of 173 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Yeh. The more I think about 'It Follows' the more I want to watch it again. I listened to the soundtrack today in work on YouTube. It's minimal but excellent.
    Yes... It's flawed and clunky, but still works very well IMHO.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    The Pianist - 9/10.

So harrowing that it drives you towards speechlessness. The slow-drip retraction of rights and liberties was one of the most disturbing aspects of the film, and how its gradual pace seemed to distract a lot of the populace from the overall picture of how ghastly things were turning ... then the family's joy at the war being declared, thinking it'd all be over soon. Naturally, having hindsight and knowledge of what was coming makes the film even more painful to watch.

Truly, a horror that should never ever be forgotten.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The Pianist - 9/10.

So harrowing that it drives you towards speechlessness. The slow-drip retraction of rights and liberties was one of the most disturbing aspects of the film, and how its gradual pace seemed to distract a lot of the populace from the overall picture of how ghastly things were turning ... then the family's joy at the war being declared, thinking it'd all be over soon. Naturally, having hindsight and knowledge of what was coming makes the film even more painful to watch.

Truly, a horror that should never ever be forgotten.
    Maybe this film is so powerfully charged because Roman Polanski pulled upon the first-hand angst he bestowed upon under aged girls when he sexually assaulted them.

I wouldn't touch/watch any film of his I'm afraid.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Maybe this film is so powerfully charged because Roman Polanski pulled upon the first-hand angst he bestowed upon under aged girls when he sexually assaulted them.

I wouldn't touch/watch any film of his I'm afraid.
    The film on its own merit is a powerful piece of cinema, but yes, the crime - and the whole story surrounding it - is a dark, murky, horrible business.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_P...ual_abuse_case

Super Moderator

UK
    As Above, So Below - 7.5/10

Surprisingly effective, and the 'found footage' style wasn't as obtrusive as it can often be ... although I am a bit tired of the format in general. There were some genuinely creepy moments, chilling visuals, and a few jumps. Very claustrophobic, and some good effort put into the screenplay.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    As Above, So Below - 7.5/10

Surprisingly effective, and the 'found footage' style wasn't as obtrusive as it can often be ... although I am a bit tired of the format in general. There were some genuinely creepy moments, chilling visuals, and a few jumps. Very claustrophobic, and some good effort put into the screenplay.
    I was completely surprised, myself. I had put low expectations of even being able to finish the movie, but noticed it was not all super shaky cam crapola pretty quick.
    Also, somewhat similar to The Pyramid, the weirdness of the ending fully left me all creepified. The Reaper thang and the wall ghoulies really won me over. Was it perfect? No, but I liked it, and that's enough for me. I'd recommend The Pyramid, by the way. Good stuff.

I just finished Get Hard. Very good, another one I expected to NOT be. I've been burned by Kevin Hart too many times, but pairing him with Will Ferrell actually worked. Plus, it was just good. I laughed my balls off.

Ireland
    'Born Innocent'

8/10

Along with 'Threads' and 'Duel', one of the greatest made-for-tv films ever created.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    The Reaper thang and the wall ghoulies really won me over.
    Indeed ... proper chilling at that point. It was nervously waggled feet and intertwined fingers time for me during that whole bit.

Ireland
    'Whiplash'

6/10

Ireland
    'Rogue'

7/10

'The Worlds End'

2/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'The Worlds End'

2/10

You're a curious fellow, shoot.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 19-Jun-2015 at 06:31 PM.

Ireland
    Yeh, didn't work for me at all. The setup was good, but it falls apart into a real mess.

I laughed more at your owl pic than I did at 'The Worlds End'.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 20-Jun-2015 at 11:08 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Boyhood - 6/10

If it wasn't for the 'filmed over 12 years with the same people' angle it'd be really quite average, perhaps even dull. It meanders along, nothing especially major happening for the most part, with a few eye-rolling/aggravating moments littered about ... although it did keep my attention for the duration ... but, again, if it wasn't for the 'filmed over 12 years' angle it wouldn't particularly be anything memorable. An interesting way to approach a fairly straight forward story, though.

Ireland
    'The Exterminator 2'

2/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Fury - 8/10

I enjoyed it, in a grim and unrelenting kind of way. I can see Tricky's point about the climactic battle what with Germans running in front of gunfire willy nilly ... that aside though, I dug it. Tough and gritty and kept me watching.