Page 95 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I was probably a touch disapointed with it. But it's memorable and the logic holds up for the most part.

The ending was awfuly sad.

[sarcasm]Can't wait for the inevitable US remake[/sarcasm]
    I agree that it wasn't an award winner or anything, but it's definitely decent and worth watching. That's more than I can say about a lot of the TOTAL crap that somehow gets made in this genre.

The ending was pretty brutal. Actually, most of the second half of the movie was.

As far as a remake, PLEASE, NO.

United States
    The Love Bug (1997 TV movie) starring Bruce Campbell 5.5/10

I saw this as a kid when it premiered in '97. I was disappointed and hated it then, but seeing it now wasn't as bad. Still nowhere near as good as the original 4 Herbie movies. Yes, I'm a grown man that still watches old Disney movies once in a while.

Super Moderator

UK
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge

The fifth in the franchise. I'd rank it as third in the series over all as the best sequel since Dead Man's Chest (and, in some ways, surpasses that one). It clocks in at 124 minutes (with credits), so it keeps things relatively brisk (particularly for one of these movies, which had a habit of getting increasingly bloated and overblown after the first movie). There's some quite entertaining set pieces that recapture some of the fun of the original movie (e.g. a bank heist early on, and a double escape from execution).

United States
    Maximum Overdrive (1986) 6.5/10
    Enjoyable '80s schlock movie about a passing comet causing trucks and other mechanical things to take on a life of their own and kill people.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Jumanji - Welcome to the jungle
    Entertaining and a good time at the movie. I like The Rock's latest roll of brainless adventure films. He does comedy well too.

L'Avventura
    Michaelangeo Antonioni's old breakout arthouse hit from 1960. Contemporaneous with La Dolce Vita. Beautiful and interesting in it's own right, but a bit too long.

French Sex Murders
    Pointless, dull and ugly giallo.

Sweet Body of Deborah
    Interesting earlier entry into the giallo canon. From 1968, it's written by Ernesto Gastaldi and stars Jean Sorel, Carroll Baker, George Hilton, Luigi Pistilli and Evelyn Stewart. All of these would go on to become genre stars.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    Maximum Overdrive (1986) 6.5/10
    Enjoyable '80s schlock movie about a passing comet causing trucks and other mechanical things to take on a life of their own and kill people.
    Didn't King direct that? The only film he ever directed?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    A couple of re-watches (third time each):

Her - one of my favourite films from the last few years, and it gets better with each viewing. So many high concept ideas that are fitted tidily into a near future world that feels so close to our own, and one that feels comfortable and recognisible (no dystopia there). Beautifully done all-round.

Red State - Kevin Smith's most vibrant film since Clerks. The tonal shifts are invigorating, rather than jarring, the action stuff is breathless, the sardonic script tickles the funny bone and the satire bone simultaneously. It would have been interesting to see what the other ending might have looked like had he had enough money to really pull that off, but as-is the film is more realist in nature and the actual (more cost effective) ending still works well. It's also one of those lower budget films that benefitted greatly from the Writer's Strike several years ago as every actor was scrabbling around to get cast in case the strike went on too long - the cast of this film is a veritable who's who, crammed full with talented actors from sizeable names to well known character actors.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 26-Jan-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Didn't King direct that? The only film he ever directed?
    Yes, and he also described it as a "moron movie". A bit too harsh, it's not that bad! It sure as heck is way better than many of the awful movies we are getting in more recent years, like, for example, the pseudo-remake of Day of the Dead.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Yes, and he also described it as a "moron movie". A bit too harsh, it's not that bad! It sure as heck is way better than many of the awful movies we are getting in more recent years, like, for example, the pseudo-remake of Day of the Dead.
    Not that bad, at all.

I was actually reading Amazon reviews on the new Day of the Dead POS last night. Surprise, surprise, most of the reviews were 1 star. There were two 10 star reviews. One was OBVIOUSLY a shill, and the other said they rated it 10 stars because it was (unintentionally) hilarious.

Rising

United States
    Not that bad, at all.

I was actually reading Amazon reviews on the new Day of the Dead POS last night. Surprise, surprise, most of the reviews were 1 star. There were two 10 star reviews. One was OBVIOUSLY a shill, and the other said they rated it 10 stars because it was (unintentionally) hilarious.
    Yes, the 2018 one looks like it is very bad, but for some reason I am still skeptical that it is actually worse than the previous one from 2008. At least the new one has made some sort of attempt to try to have some connection to the original plot. The 2008 one does not have any connection at all, the plot is totally different. How could anyone consider calling that disaster of a movie a "remake"???

United States
    Yes, the 2018 one looks like it is very bad, but for some reason I am still skeptical that it is actually worse than the previous one from 2008. At least the new one has made some sort of attempt to try to have some connection to the original plot. The 2008 one does not have any connection at all, the plot is totally different. How could anyone consider calling that disaster of a movie a "remake"???
    It CLAIMS to have some connection to the original's plot.
    The one Amazon reviewer pretty much stated what happened in the new DOTD scene by scene, and it sounds like the only things it has in common with the original is the name, the fact that they were in a bunker part of the time, some half-assed military presence, and some brief mention of the female character working on a cure. Very little else. In many ways, it sounds WORSE than the '08 turd, even without having the zombies crawling on the ceiling like flies. Lots of stupid people doing REALLY stupid things. The rapey/stalker, talking and thinking, half human, half zombie "Max" character does things a normal human can't do and just sounds incredibly God awful.

Out of morbid curiosity, I may have to see this turd for myself. I sure as hell won't be paying any money to see it, though.
    Last edited by beat_truck; 27-Jan-2018 at 01:20 AM. Reason: typo

Rising

United States
    It CLAIMS to have some connection to the original's plot.
    The one Amazon reviewer pretty much stated what happened in the new DOTD scene by scene, and it sounds like the only things it has in common with the original is the name, the fact that they were in a bunker part of the time, some half-assed military presence, and some brief mention of the female character working on a cure. Very little else. In many ways, it sounds WORSE than the '08 turd, even without having the zombies crawling on the ceiling like flies. Lots of stupid people doing REALLY stupid things. The rapey/stalker, talking and thinking, half human, half zombie "Max" character does things a normal human can't do and just sounds incredibly God awful.

Out of morbid curiosity, I may have to see this turd for myself. I sure as hell won't be paying any money to see it, though.
    The "Max" character is obviously what the filmmakers consider an "update" of "Bub", so that's another connection to the original plot. But the 2008 one lacks any connection at all, except only the names of some of the characters.

Rising

United States
    The Silent Stranger - 1968: very cool and unusual "Spaghetti Western": most of the action takes place in Japan! (the movie is in fact often credited with "inventing" the "East-meets-West" Western.) It has all the "dark & gritty" atmosphere you would expect in such Westerns. I had not seen this movie in probably some 25 years!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The Silent Stranger - 1968: very cool and unusual "Spaghetti Western": most of the action takes place in Japan! (the movie is in fact often credited with "inventing" the "East-meets-West" Western.) It has all the "dark & gritty" atmosphere you would expect in such Westerns. I had not seen this movie in probably some 25 years!
    Sounds awesome!

Super Moderator

UK
    While I've not seen that flick, but speaking of 'East meets West' westerns, have you seen "The Good, The Bad, and The Weird"? It came out a few years ago and was pretty good fun.