Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Hur (film) - Remake in 2016

Administrator

England

Ben Hur (film) - Remake in 2016

Well, it finally looks like they've take on the big one! Remaking Ben Hur - http://www.chron.com/entertainment/a...ur-5429584.php

I predict lots of over the top CGI... And maybe Ben Hur will learn martial arts?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Wyler's 1959 remake is one of my favorite films, so I'm not really expecting this to come anywhere close. Ben Hur is the kind of story that will always be told over and over again, but it's a shame this one will likely be a visual copy of 300 and recent films of that nature.

Administrator

England
    Tom Hiddleston as Ben Hur? Really? - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Tom-H...ake-66742.html

Surely he'd need to beef up a bit? Don't see him surviving a week at the oar in a galley!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Morgan Freeman joins the cast - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/68750

No surprises he will be playing Ildarin, the Arabian horse owner.
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    "I am Spartacus!"

Wrong film? Aw... But..... I wanted to be Spartacus.... *goes over to the corner, pouting*

Seriously though, is there really a market for all these films and remakes set in primitive days? If so... (and apparently there is), why? I just don't get the appeal. It's not like you can top the Harryhausen films...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post

Seriously though, is there really a market for all these films and remakes set in primitive days? If so... (and apparently there is), why? I just don't get the appeal. It's not like you can top the Harryhausen films...
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I believe it all started with 300. 300 was a massive blockbuster hit and there have been countless imitations ever since. All of which share a similar style. I have a feeling this remake will be no different.

Needless to say, this has a huge chance of being a complete POS compared to the classic Wyler film.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I believe it all started with 300. 300 was a massive blockbuster hit and there have been countless imitations ever since. All of which share a similar style. I have a feeling this remake will be no different.

Needless to say, this has a huge chance of being a complete POS compared to the classic Wyler film.
    Going to be fascinating to see! I fear CGI super duper effects will take precedent over a heartfelt story.
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Meet Esther - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69137

Ms. Gadot is in talks to play the female lead, Esther, of Timur Bekmambetov's remake of BEN-HUR: A TALE OF THE CHRIST. Esther is originally Ben-Hur's slave and is arranged to be married to another man, but when the two reunite they become lovers and eventually witness both the Sermon on the Mount and Jesus' death on the cross.
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Im actually excited about this.

I like the old one, but there's been three versions already. It's just that kind if IP.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Im actually excited about this.

I like the old one, but there's been three versions already. It's just that kind if IP.
    I wonder how much the of the old sky-fairy stuff we'll get in this modern re-telling?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    True... It'll be interesting to see that part.

England
    I expect plenty of slo-mo-leapy-choppy-stabby action.

As for the religious angle, it should be there seeing as that is the story. I wouldn't expect a science based story to drop the science to appease religo's, and I wouldn't expect a religious movie to do the same for the benefit of athiests.

Hasn't Bale just done a Moses film as well? Looks worth a watch.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

Gladiator, Troy and King Arthur - to name a few - were all before 300.

Administrator

England
    Why does this make me worried?

-Carl Sagan