Thread: Deadlands: The Rising (Reviewed by axlish)

ViP

United States

Deadlands: The Rising (Reviewed by axlish)

OK, here is my review of Deadlands, DjfunkmasterG’s zombie epic.

First off, the image looks amazingly crisp, and is presented in 2.35:1 aspect ratio. The shots are well framed and lit, and there is good use of camera motion. The miniDV format is a little unforgiving at moments, but for the most part, this has the look of a theatrical feature, or at worst, direct to video.

The acting is for the most part good, and the plot is well paced. Gary really gets good use out of his production budget and extras, most notably in the zombie horde scenes. The highlight of the film is easily the traffic zombie invasion scene, the likes of which I haven’t seen since the zombies in Return of the Living Dead massacre the cops. The FX are mostly good, at worst passable at times. The music was in the vein of John Carpenter and it worked well. There are some "Alice in Chains" sounding tunes used from time to time that I didn't care for, but it worked well within the scene.

There were some minor flaws here and there, but nothing Gary couldn’t trim up before release. I wasn’t wild about the opening sequence, and some of the opening scenes, but once the zombies enter the story, it easily kept my attention until the end. Speaking of the end, it’ll leave you wanting for more, as it is a little abrupt. There is some footage that will be added later, but for now it seems a little short coming in just under one hour. It seems that Gary has a direct sequel in mind.

Good job Gary, I can't wait to see the final product.

Administrator

England
    Hey hey hey! Sounding good!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    WHEW!... I tell ya. When I shipped that disc off I was sweating hard for these last few days until he posted his review. When he told me he received it on Wednesday I didn't slept too good, but once I read the review, of a work print, I slept like a baby last night.

We are pretty much down to the last bits that need to be completed, I am just waiting on some last minute things. Our pick-up shots weekend is almost here and once I edit those pieces into the film I will be able to ship it off to the film festivals in Rhode Island, and NYC.

If the film gets accepted I will be ecstatic to say the least. Once I get word of acceptance or rejection I will then announce a sell through date.

I am glad Axlish liked it...I was worried at some point I might have been hyping the film too much, and wouldn't deliver on the goods. Anyway guys, not much longer.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    are you gonna get some other amatuer zombie directors liek minion zombie to give you poster quotes?,

"riveting, the film is riveting"

and it just hit me, critics call a film reiveting but isnt that something you do to a rooftop like shingling?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing
    are you gonna get some other amatuer zombie directors liek minion zombie to give you poster quotes?,
    I haven't considered it, and probably won't do it.

I hate Poster quotes. Most people dismiss them anyway unless it is a critic they have heard of, and I mean no offense to anyone here.

How many times have you seen a DVD with...

"This movie rocks" - BlowMeBlowMe.com or some other critic or website. Does it make you want to see the movie? I rather rely on reviews posted in a forum or webpage then just link to it from my official website. Plus word of mouth will get around and people will make their own assumptions.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    I haven't considered it, and probably won't do it.

I hate Poster quotes. Most people dismiss them anyway unless it is a critic they have heard of, and I mean no offense to anyone here.

How many times have you seen a DVD with...

"This movie rocks" - BlowMeBlowMe.com or some other critic or website. Does it make you want to see the movie? I rather rely on reviews posted in a forum or webpage then just link to it from my official website. Plus word of mouth will get around and people will make their own assumptions.
    My "Shaun of the Dead" poster has a quote from romero: "It's a Blast! - George Romero(writer/director of "Dawn of the Dead")". Something along those lines.

That just made me more excited about seeing the film(I had the poster first). But then again....that's a totally different situation.

Anyway, It's cool to hear a mostly positive review for "Deadlands". I know I can't wait to check it out.

United States
    Axlish - thanks for the review, man. We appreciate your comments and most of all, your honesty.

It's nice to have someone 'outside' the production share their thoughts, and apparently it seems we've at least done a few things that'll grab some attention. That's good to know.

The AiC sounding tune was one done by my band back in 2001 called "Mystic Shadows" It just seemed to fit well within the movie, so I told Dj to throw it in wherever he felt like it.

99% of the music was written by Dj with the expception of one tiny 60 second guitar piece that I recorded, which was something that I've been holding on to for years and never found a "home" for it untill now. I laid some guitars on some of his tracks too, and I'm hoping to add more if time permits. We'll see what time allows.

Speaking of which, Dj, you need to send me the traffic jam song so I can add some evil, menacing guitars on there.

I wish December (or whatever the release date happens to become, depending on circumstances) would hurry the hell up and get here! I'm getting impatient myself and I've been involved in this thing since day one!

LC

Super Moderator

United States
    Cool review.

Any word on a rough (ballpark) running time?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Axlish received the 59 Minute Work print. The current edit is 63 minutes
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

United States
    Nice! Lots of zombie goodness there, I'm sure.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It has a good amount of Zombie Mayhem.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr
    Axlish - thanks for the review, man. We appreciate your comments and most of all, your honesty.

The AiC sounding tune was one done by my band back in 2001 called "Mystic Shadows" It just seemed to fit well within the movie, so I told Dj to throw it in wherever he felt like it.
    My pleasure. I actually like AiC a lot, I think it was the blatant similarity that put me off. I doubt the average viewer would notice or be bothered by it.

Just been bitten Pistolero Films's Avatar

Undisclosed
    Thanks for the review. I appreciate the honesty.

Also, for DJ -

I am glad to see that there are hordes of zombies...This IS really hard to accomplish I know, from experience. I couldn't get a group together large enough to resemble horde, so good for you.

Also, when you get the next updated cut together are you gonna submit it to some other reviewers? I mean, we all like zombie flicks here, so to get a non-zombiefied opinion, maybe it would be best to see what a horror fan thinks. Just a thought.

Anyhow, can't wait!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I have every intention of submitting for more reviews. I want film fan opions as much as zombie film fan opinions.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!