Thread: It (film) - Stephen King

Administrator

England

It (film) - Stephen King

So now "New Line" are taking the reigns of this film adaptation. Really not sure about it becoming TWO films? Is there enough meat on the bones for that?

Anyway... note my avatar

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/322...-it-adaptation

After five years of development on the project, Warner Bros. Pictures is handing over development of its new film adaptation of Stephen King's "It" to its New Line division.

It's a rare move, but not unanticipated as the companies are now becoming more clearly defined about what films they intend to make. New Line will now take the lead on horror projects.

At last report, filmmaker Cary Fukunaga ("Jane Eyre," "True Detective") had been hired to direct a two-film adaptation of "It" which Roy Lee, Dan Lin, Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg will produce.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    hmmmm
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post
    hmmmm
    hmmmm as in hmmmm , or hmmmm as in hmmmm , or hmmmm as in hmmmm ?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    hmmmm as in hmmmm , or hmmmm as in hmmmm , or hmmmm as in hmmmm ?

Hmmmmm as in . Hurm.

Administrator

England
    Well, IT chapter 1 I thought was a pretty good film.

Having just seen IT chapter 2, I'd have to say the second chapter is not as solid and good as the first, runs a tad too long IMHO, but it still has its moments.
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I enjoyed both films. They have their highs and lows, but overall work quite well.

I was so disappointed when my audience didn’t seem to react to the massive reference to The Thing. By the time Hader delivered the famous line, I wanted to cheer!

Apparently the director is working on an edit combining both chapters, as well as NEW footage. That definitely feels excessive, but I’ll have to see it out of curiosity.
    Last edited by bassman; 03-Oct-2019 at 11:12 PM. Reason: .

United States
    The wife and I saw the first one in theaters, and perhaps went in with a bit too high of expectations, because we both left scratching our heads about what all the fuss was about. We both agreed that there were too many dumb-ass jump-scares, and Pennywise wasn't the least bit scary or menacing, just goofy. There were times when we were actually giggling at how ridiculous his dancing and over-acting were.

Decided to skip the second one, and from everything I've read online, it was probably a wise choice. Doubt we'll even bother watching it when it is available for free.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 04-Oct-2019 at 03:30 AM. Reason: .

Ireland
    This thing is only called 'It' to cash in on the name. The only similarities is that is had a clown and some kids in each story, but it's nothing like the King yarn.

The first was OK, but just OK. Cannot understand all the fawning over it and as the Prof said above, the lukewarm, to be polite, reception to part 2 makes me happy to leave the second one for a rainy Thursday night.

All in all, this version of 'It' appears to very basic stuff that some people are elevating unjustly.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I was so disappointed when my audience didn’t seem to react to the massive reference to The Thing. By the time Hader delivered the famous line, I wanted to cheer!
    Our audience got it
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    i understand that these films aren’t to everyone’s liking, and admittedly it’s been years since I’ve read the book, but I was under the impression that it’s a fairly close adaptation? King himself loves the movies and appears in chapter 2, so apparently he’s on board with it?

Ireland
    There are a few scenes lifted here and there from the book, like the Georgie opener. But it's nothing like it AFAIC. It's practically it's own thing, not that that's a bad thing in itself. But it's also very mediocre too. Now, I haven't see Chapter 2, but from what I can gather, that's an even bigger departure from King's novel.

As for King being on board with it, I think he's just softened to film adaptations over the years and he gets a whopper royalty check too.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....