Thread: Bull fighting in Spain

Administrator

England

Bull fighting in Spain

Three matadors gored... and to be frank... I'm don't feel sorry for them.

So bulls are tormented and slowly killed... for nothing more than entertainment? And we're support to feel sorry when the bull dishes out some revenge?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27513984

Come on Spain, it's the 21st century!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    I agree...

However every day thousands upon thousands of animals die the most horrid deaths in an industrial setting ... for nothing more than feeding humans who would could survive without the consumption of meat.
    Do these animals have any rights? Do you have to be able to stand up for your rights to obtain them or can they be given to you? Do we have any moral obligation towards the nature we dominate? Do you have the right not to suffer pain if you can experience pain? And so on ...

Maybe those bullfights have become part of a certain tradition or folklore that the people who participate in them have become blind to the inherent barbarism. In much the same way most people wouldn't be able to stand the sight of a cow or pig being slaughtered in an industrial manner but have absolutely no problem ordering a steak or juicy burger.

Mind you, I'm not a vegetarian at any rate, though I do try to eat meat ony twice or three times a week. I buy the meat from a local farmer I trust enough to know he treat his stock with a minimum of respect.

Administrator

England
    ^^ It's a fair point, but taking delight in watching an animal suffer in torment till dead is surely a good starting point at addressing the matter?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Absolutely. I have travelled around Spain countless times during the holidays (especially Andalucia, but also Catalunya) and most young people I met were as appaled by the Bull fighting than the rest of Europe.
    It's a matter of time before this madness is put to a stop I believe.
    Last edited by krisvds; 24-May-2014 at 05:14 AM. Reason: .