Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Rik Mayall

Administrator

England

RIP Rik Mayall

This is a shame. He was only 56! No idea as to the cause of death yet! - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27770266

The world won't be quite the same without Lord Flashheart!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKfbSHW9uGA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TihgRRwwokU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC3sURgYxng
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Total bummer news.

The man was a comedy legend. I grew up watching "The Young Ones" and "Bottom" (the latter I watched surreptitiously because, at the time, I was quite young and my parents thought it was a bit too rude for me at that time ... although TYO was fine for me apparently. )

I wonder what the cause was ... whatever it was though, it was too damn soon.

Administrator

England
    I regret not see "Bottom Live" at the theatre - Which was suppose to be epic!

I do hope this wasn't down to suicide

I believe he was actually in a production at the moment, filming in Portugal? So he was certainly working!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    RIP Rik Mayall, i had only really seen Bottom with him in it & a few of the Young Ones (oh and American Werewolf In London) but he was hilarious!!
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post
    RIP Rik Mayall, i had only really seen Bottom with him in it & a few of the Young Ones (oh and American Werewolf In London) but he was hilarious!!
    You've seen him in Black Adder? The New Statesman was very clever and funny too
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    RIP DROP DEAD FRED.
    Sad day, sad face.

England
    Absolutely gutted...Rik & Ade were the funniest pair of lunatics ever.

God bless, matey!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    ^^

Edmondson said that he loved working with Mayall, who he acted with on classic British comedy series Bottom and The Young Ones.

The actor said in a statement: ‘There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing.

‘They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him.

‘And now he’s died for real. Without me. Selfish b*****d.’

"He changed my life utterly," adding: "He always made me cry with laughter, now he's just made me cry."
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    From World Cup 2010... I believe this may well be no.1 in the charts this week from people buying it in memory of Rik!

The final scene of him disappearing into the light is strangely appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAFme1hBH0
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    From World Cup 2010... I believe this may well be no.1 in the charts this week from people buying it in memory of Rik!

The final scene of him disappearing into the light is strangely appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAFme1hBH0
    So say all of us ( even his fans from across the pond. We few, we loyal few. )

Administrator

England
    Quite honestly! I welled up at the end of that video
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-28785183

How long till some to$$er defaces it!
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Fantastic! That had me guffawing like crazy - I loved it whenever they'd go off-script like that and make a real show out of the mistakes or weird little happenings in the live shows. A damn shame Mayall is gone, but it's good news that they're going to re-erect a bench in the place where it was in the opening credits of Bottom with an inscription on it. I hope to see some fans doing their own little parodies of it on YouTube some day.