Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else listen to vinyl?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

Anyone else listen to vinyl?

I've been rediscovering records big time. I bought a retro stereo (it has a feckin' cassette player!) dusted off some of my mom's old records that I have, ordered a few new ones, and I'm a happy vinyl listener. There is something about putting a record on that can't be replicated. I find that I'm much more likely to listen to an album all the way through if it's vinyl. I also feel more "engaged" with the music somehow. And then there's the artwork on the gatefolds! Digital music just can't do that.

For my first go round I bought "Moving Pictures" - Rush, "Caravanserai" - Santana, "Houses of the Holy", "Presence", "In Through the Out Door", and 'III" - Led Zeppelin, "The Number of the Beast" and "Piece of Mind" - Iron Maiden. Just getting started...
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Rising

United States
    I have many records from back in the day (original pressings, not modern re-issues, including the first two Iron Maiden studio albums + the live in Japan EP, the ones with Paul Di'Anno), but haven't played them in quite a while. It's been ages since I had a record player.

We used to love an activity we called "scare the neighborhood", which consisted in blasting such songs as Twisted Sister's "Under the Blade" or Saxon's "Denim and Leather" from our massive stereo speakers, which were conveniently located in a balcony overlooking the neighborhood, so as to make it easier for our brand of acoustic terrorism to reach as many ears as possible (yes, we utterly enjoyed annoying the hell out of the "wimps" back then.) One time, after the song was over, instead of the usual "silence", we heard some anonymous voice in the distance yell: "fucking awesome!" It seems like some people weren't as scared, offended and/or disturbed as we thought by the music coming out of our blasting speakers.
    Last edited by JDP; 27-Jan-2021 at 05:43 AM. Reason: ;

Administrator

England
    Here in the UK, doesn't vinyl out sell CDs now?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Here in the UK, doesn't vinyl out sell CDs now?
    And in the US too. Last year vinyl accounted for 62% of all physical music sales.

Here's the RIAA breakdown for 2020:
    Physical sales: $376 million
    Digital sales: $351 million
    AD revenue: $421million.

Not surprising in this day and age that advertising is the number 1 money maker.

United States
    Record addict here. I have tons of albums, 45s, and even 78s. Plus multiple turntables, amps, cartridges, speakers, etc. Most of it is done on a low budget, though. I am satisfied with digital, and refuse to pay inflated prices for music just because it is on a record when I can find probably 90% of what I want to hear for free on Youtube or Spotify.

Ireland
    My entire vinyl collection was destroyed in a flood in 2011...so no.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    My entire vinyl collection was destroyed in a flood in 2011...so no.
    Didn't you post some pics of that way back then? I seem to remember some pics of a swamped street and cars trapped, water halfway up the windows.

England
    I don't think I've ever bought a vinyl in my life! When I started getting into music it was cassette tapes but CD's were already taking over, and it must be 10 years since I last bought a CD as well. My dad who died five years ago had a vast collection of vinyls from his youth that the family still need to get together and sort through at some point.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    Didn't you post some pics of that way back then? I seem to remember some pics of a swamped street and cars trapped, water halfway up the windows.
    Aye. I think so. Whole bottom half of the house got wrecked.

I had some good stuff in that collection too. Rare 1st pressings of Motorhead albums and a limited edition LA Woman. Shame.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I don't think I've ever bought a vinyl in my life! When I started getting into music it was cassette tapes but CD's were already taking over, and it must be 10 years since I last bought a CD as well. My dad who died five years ago had a vast collection of vinyls from his youth that the family still need to get together and sort through at some point.
    Vinyls were before my time. I didn't really start getting into music until I was entering double digits - at which point it was cassette tapes initially, then one Xmas I got a ghetto blaster with double tape deck and a CD player. It was still a while before I developed my own musical tastes.

I used to make mix tapes, but it always bothered me that you could never quite get it right - the tape side would run out too soon or too late.

I'm all about CDs. I still make mix cds for the car stereo, and I still buy CDs. In fact, in these last couple of weeks I've bought four or five of them. I've got the new Foo Fighters album coming on CD tomorrow.

I do love a CD. I don't love those shitty digipak cardboard cases, especially the really cheap shitty ones that are just the simplest form of cardboard sleeve, which the CD can easily fall out of that some bands insist on (I'm looking at you, Chromatics and Johnny Jewel).

My Mum's got a bunch of vinyls, though. Mind you, there's a fair bit in there that's of no interest to me - but she does have various classical albums, and a bunch of ABBA albums from the 70s and 80s.

Rising

United States
    Did anyone try to play their records backwards to see if there really were "hidden messages" in them? LOL! I actually did, several times. Mötley Crüe's "Shout at the Devil" was largely responsible for piquing my curiosity about this, since they even purposefully put a "Caution: This record may contain backward messages" warning on it, and also all the allegations regarding Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Queen ("It's fun to smoke marijuana", LOL!), etc., supposedly putting such "subliminal messages" in their records. But in order not to risk damaging the albums, what I would do was copy them to a blank tape first, open the tape casing, then flip the reel over, close the tape casing, and then play the tape.

United States
    17b4a0979abbe304a49c868aed0e6765cbaabd8aff645ee5ad11b40b3f3ef23c.jpg

Just a pet peeve. "Vinyls" is like nails on a chalk board to people who are seriously into playing and collecting records.
    Last edited by beat_truck; 04-Feb-2021 at 02:31 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    17b4a0979abbe304a49c868aed0e6765cbaabd8aff645ee5ad11b40b3f3ef23c.jpg

Just a pet peeve. "Vinyls" is like nails on a chalk board to people who are seriously into playing and collecting records.

Beggin' your forgiveness, Sir.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Beggin' your forgiveness, Sir.

Well, since you asked nicely....

Rising

United States