Thread: Margaret Zimmerman (aka, my mother. ) died last night.

Undisclosed

Margaret Zimmerman (aka, my mother. ) died last night.

Last night, after a horrible vigil of two days. My mother died at the age of 83 from the trauma of a severe stroke she suffered early Wednesday morning. As she was unresponsive to the measures administered promptly after, and lacked even the basic reactions to tests and her family's presence, we made the painful decision to withhold further treatment(except for morphine to lessen her pain. )and allow her to pass away in her own time. Her whole family; her people as she began to call us, were mostly able to say their goodbyes before then, and Margaret ( Peggy Z ) departed pain-free just after midnight.

I know that none of you ever met her ( or my dad, who died more than twenty years ago. ) but if you had, you would have been impressed. Such a giving soul, she had that affect on pretty much everyone. Thanks in advance for your attention and prayers. I'm waiting for the shock to settle and the grief to bitch slap me around, a lot, as we have business to take care of. Be good while I'm gone, kids.

Wayne Zimmerman (proud son of Peggy and Wallace Zimmerman. )

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your mother, wayzim.

It sounds like she was a good person who was well loved and will be sorely missed. Hang in there dude.

Ireland
    Sorry to hear that lad.

Kind of in the same boat. My dad had a stroke (his third) a couple of weeks ago and he's now almost completely helpless. He can't even talk. It's horrible to say, but it would have been better if he'd gone.

Keep the chin up Wayne. It's really all you can do.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    You and your family have my best wishes at what is undoubtedly a very upsetting and difficult time
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    Last night, after a horrible vigil of two days. My mother died at the age of 83 from the trauma of a severe stroke she suffered early Wednesday morning. As she was unresponsive to the measures administered promptly after, and lacked even the basic reactions to tests and her family's presence, we made the painful decision to withhold further treatment(except for morphine to lessen her pain. )and allow her to pass away in her own time. Her whole family; her people as she began to call us, were mostly able to say their goodbyes before then, and Margaret ( Peggy Z ) departed pain-free just after midnight.
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Sorry to hear that lad.

Kind of in the same boat. My dad had a stroke (his third) a couple of weeks ago and he's now almost completely helpless. He can't even talk. It's horrible to say, but it would have been better if he'd gone.
    Sorry to hear that, guys. My heart goes out to you, I dread the day when I face similar circumstances.
    I like to put out the tough guy vibe, but losing them would turn me into mush.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Sorry to hear that, guys. My heart goes out to you, I dread the day when I face similar circumstances.
    I like to put out the tough guy vibe, but losing them would turn me into mush.
    Oh, I've been losing it on a semi regular schedule now. Not with family, of course, as we're the type to get sentimental one second then smart-ass & inappropriate the next. Plus, we've been on a speed trial for arranging Mom's services, since her oldest grand-kid has to go back to Oregon on Thursday this week. So the off joke for all this is, well, Mom's paying for it(the arrangements). Dad's passing ended up being so surreal, I guess we're headed for round two. Thanks for your support, guys.

Super Moderator

United States
    Sorry for your loss, Wayzim. Losing a parent is just horrible. There's really no adequate words for it.

My Father passed away last Summer after a long downhill road with emphysema and at the end we basically were told he had no breathing capacity and was a mucus plug away from dying. In keeping with his previous wishes we allowed the hospital to sedate him with morphine, which would serve to also further suppress his breathing and let him pass away. Even then, it was not an easy process for him and there were some disturbing moments for all involved throughout the process, but he'd always been clear about his wishes.

Don't expect to fully come to terms with it, just deal with it as best you can now and don't be surprised when it really hits you down the road at the oddest of moments.

Again, all my sympathies to you and your family.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Last edited by wayzim; 24-Jun-2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: don't ask