Thread: Day Of The Dead on UK TV last night...

Administrator

England

Day Of The Dead on UK TV last night...

I was flicking around and bumped into Romero's Day Of The Dead last night...

It's been a while since I watched it, but I have to say I was instantly drawn by the feel of the film; The characters (although a little cliche) work perfectly. The story/script is simple but nice and dark and broody. And the music (a touch 80s) is just brilliant! And then the effects, without a pixel of CGI!

This film just keeps growing on me!

If only Romero could recapture a bit of the magic he demonstrated with this flick!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah I was flicking around and stumbled upon it on The Horror Channel and watched a little bit of it in passing. I love that film and it still holds up today ... indeed, 80s style scores are quite common these days, particularly in genre flicks (thinking of stuff like Hobo With A Shotgun).

United States
    It's also on Netflix. I have the dvd thangie, but I guess it'd be HD quality if I watch it there. Been meaning to, as my wife always wants me to find zombie flicks, but 99.9% on that site are nothing but low budget crapola. She's seen Day countless times, but it's been awhile...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I watch it at least once a year. I love it.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    I didn't care for it when I first saw it, it was a VHS copy first but then the BBC aired a widescreen version with the correct colors and it was like watching a different film.

Undisclosed
    It's really quite simple: Day is the best zombie film ever made. Nothing comes close. I think it has the best pacing of the original three; from the eerie opening to the slow build of tension and suspense, and then that operatic finale. The tone is spot on: a perfect mix of EC comic book-characterisation and serious dread. There is an obvious political undertone that is anything but subtle but still isn't delivered in an 'in your face' way that characterised his later films.

It is a true classic that ages more gracefully than anything romero has ever done. Night may be the classic and Dawn many a fan's favourite but Day of the Dead is, to me at least, one of the best films ever made. Anyone who thinks TWD tv series is the best thing that ever happened to this genre clearly hasn't seen this film.
    Last edited by krisvds; 28-Jun-2014 at 05:44 AM. Reason: .

Twitching

United States
    I'll dispute that,
    The original Dawn gives Day a run for the money IMO, and is by far (again, IMHO) the better flick. Day is great, but I feel its Achilles Heel is to be found in it not holding up as well as Dawn to repeated viewings. This is because Day relies on a sense of tension in the progression of events building up to everything going to Hell. Once you know the plot by heart, much of that sense of tension is out the window, at least for me. Not saying that Dawn isn't vulnerable to the same problem, but IMO it's to a significantly lesser extent.

I'll grant you that Day has the better opening sequence however.

Super Moderator

UK
    I prefer Dawn over Day, but I absolutely agree that Day ages far better than Dawn.

Both have excellent openings (Dawn's sense of a crumbling society, that frayed knot unravelling) but in different ways. Day of the Dead's opening is much more cinematic in the classic sense, particularly in that it builds and builds with a series of reveals that build towards a grand image (the zombies filling the streets in wide shots, their howling filling the air).

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    I'll dispute that,
    The original Dawn gives Day a run for the money IMO, and is by far (again, IMHO) the better flick. Day is great, but I feel its Achilles Heel is to be found in it not holding up as well as Dawn to repeated viewings. This is because Day relies on a sense of tension in the progression of events building up to everything going to Hell. Once you know the plot by heart, much of that sense of tension is out the window, at least for me. Not saying that Dawn isn't vulnerable to the same problem, but IMO it's to a significantly lesser extent.

I'll grant you that Day has the better opening sequence however.
    Like most people posting here i have seen both Dawn and Day countless times. In fact the ability to endlesly quote from both movies can be a bit embarassing. ()
    So of course the tension, suspense and dread dissipates over time. But what makes Day better IMO is the perfect execution of the build up and the better written characters. The movie has no fat on it, every scene is perfect in moving the story forwards, like clockwork.

United States
    Day of the Dead is simply fantastic, haunting, and massively underrated.

A classic.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Just been bitten

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I was flicking around and bumped into Romero's Day Of The Dead last night...

It's been a while since I watched it, but I have to say I was instantly drawn by the feel of the film; The characters (although a little cliche) work perfectly. The story/script is simple but nice and dark and broody. And the music (a touch 80s) is just brilliant! And then the effects, without a pixel of CGI!

This film just keeps growing on me!

If only Romero could recapture a bit of the magic he demonstrated with this flick!

Having grown in terms of life experience between your last two viewings of DotD, did you happen to notice how Rhodes was the true victim of the movie after this viewing?