Thread: World War Z sequel (film)

Administrator

England

World War Z sequel (film)

News is it's still going ahead, but is now delayed - http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/97...lease-date.htm

World War Z sequel release date is going to be delayed. Director Juan Antonio Bayona is set to helm Patrick Ness' novel movie adaptation of "A Monster Calls" before he starts shooting the zombie-themed film.
    I'm actually optimistic about the second installment! The first one was OK'ish, so I hope it will be improved upon!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    News is it's still going ahead, but is now delayed - http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/97...lease-date.htm

I'm actually optimistic about the second installment! The first one was OK'ish, so I hope it will be improved upon!
    It could actually be decent now that it has the weight of expectations off its back. As mentioned a long time ago, they could even ditch Pitt as a lead and do much of the 1st book, as intended in retrospective. I doubt they would, but they could.

Either way, it'd be hard for them to screw up a follow up worse than the 1st film. All the money they spent and, ridiculous OTT effects aside and some of the acting aside, the film ended up being on par with a Syfy original.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    The first one was OK'ish
    Get out.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The first one was OK'ish

Twitching

United States
    WWZ was NOT OK,
    Tolerable, MAYBE. Just the scenes where zombies acted together to form ridiculous ladder-like constructs using their bodies made me cringe. It indicated a FUNDAMENTAL lack of understanding of the zombie "horde"...Ie, that said horde is NOT a collective but a mass of individual packages of instinctive responses. Stuff like the infected mass-breaching the walls in Isreal would require more cooperation than any zombie is capable of. Yes, I've heard the argument that the "ladder effect" was an incidental result of huge #'s of zombies trying to scale the wall, and I'm NOT buying it.

Evidence: Look at the teamwork it takes for TWO cheerleaders to hold ONE cheerleader balanced above their heads. The "body ladders" couldn't work, because the zombies acting as the "base" aren't just going to stand there as a support structure. Plus, this isn't an isolated incident. Remember the shot where Pitt is doing the voice-over at the end about "Others finding a way to fight back"? You know, where the Zombie Ladders are scaling the sides of Ten-to-Fifteen-story buildings before being fired on with makeshift flamethrowers?

Then there's the whole "try not to kill any of them, it makes the others much more aggressive"...indicating zombies care in some way about each other? Ridiculous.

I tried, I truly did, to find a way to see this movie as at least mediocre. I can't do it. The best I can say of/for it is that it's better than the Day Remake, and stuff like RotLD 3/Rave to the Grave/Necropolis.

The only surprise I found in this movie was that Brad Pitt wasn't a major factor in how poorly it came across to the viewer.

All of that said, it's always possible for a sequel to improve dramatically upon the original work. Different directors, scriptwriters etc etc are always a possibility, and depending upon the economic model of the money men, consultation with known quantities in the Survival Horror genre is never out of the question. TBH, much as I enjoyed the WWZ book, Max Brooks didn't (and still doesn't) have the body of work and successes behind him that would provide him with the backbone to stand up on behalf of his work. Had it been a veteran author of Survival Horror whose Intellectual Property was serving as the inspiration for a movie, the results could've been vastly different.

I echo the previously expressed sentiment that these people will never do a movie remotely like the book. The best we can hope for is a better-realized iteration of runner-zombie-based fiction. Runners themselves go a long ways towards diminishing the prospects of any sequel, however.

It's a crapshoot, but not one where I'd even be comfortable betting the Black/Red or Even/Odd lines.
    Last edited by Wyldwraith; 27-Jul-2014 at 02:24 PM. Reason: More to say.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Get out.
    I'll second that. WWZ was simply aweful and ridiculous.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I gave WWZ another shot when I noticed it was on Instant Netflix in an "Unrated Cut". My opinion of it didn't change at all. It's horrible as a zombie film, but just an "Okay" action/apocalypse film. I think it's best related to I Am Legend. Completely void of everything that made the books and source material great, but just tolerable enough for a big budget summer blockbuster that wastes a couple hours. Just "meh", as they say.

I'd definitely give a sequel it's day in court, but I'm not expecting anything different from what I described above.

Has anyone given this supposed "Unrated Cut" of the first film a viewing? I saw NOTHING unrated about it. Still no blood and I didn't even notice any extended scenes. Granted, I only saw it once before in theaters so my memory of it wasn't perfect, but definitely nothing noticeable. Must be another studio cash-grab of "It's unrated just because we added an extra 2.5 seconds of a character walking through a door and didn't submit it to the ratings board!". I was hoping it'd have the original ending, but it was all the same. From what I gather the new ending starts on the airplane? I read something about the original ending involving Pitt landing with the plane intact and then being forced into the Russian army. Then the movie ends with him leading an army onto the shores of the US???....
    Last edited by bassman; 29-Jul-2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    I saw the "unrated/extended" cut - and it's the only version I've seen.

There's a full run-down of what's different on MovieCensorship (a superb site to compare different cuts of various movies):
    http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=594947

121 differences, among them
    79 extended scenes
    29 Szenen scenes with alternate footage
    6 additional scenes
    3 extended scenes in the Theatrical Version
    2 extended scenes with alternate footage
    2 recuts

The Unrated Version is 408.88 seconds / approx. 6 minutes 49 seconds longer than the Theatrical Version.
    A lot of it is incredibly minor (literally split second expansions), but there's some CGI blood tossed in here and there, and some extra 'zombie' running/screaming/gurning/bullshit tossed in. Some more tooth pulling, a bit more of the hand chopping ... just generally extraneous 'violence' that's pretty tame anyway.

Summing the flick up as "meh" overall is a pretty good way of succinctly putting it, too.

Ireland
    Pretty generous, I'd say.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....