Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel's corpse being torn by zombies - missing scene?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    When you interviewed Romero for your book did you have the impression he was suffering from something (Alzheimer, ...)? Not remembering where you used to live/own a house is pretty heavy. Side effects of his lifestyle back then? Whatever.

I'm just curious as I hope he will either write or direct again in the future. If his health allows him ....
    I have no idea if George suffers from anything like Alzheimer's or any other neurological disorder. I do know that George has suffered a couple of strokes in his life. He's also much older now and, frankly, he drinks a lot. His memory, for whatever reason, is really bad. There's a commentary, I believe for DAWN, where he's talking with his then wife, Christine, and he says that they were already married during the filming. Christine starts laughing and reminds him that they didn't get married until Knightriders. His memories are much clearer when it comes to talking about early stuff like NIGHT.

Undisclosed
    Age is probably the main reason, but I feel there is a difference in remembering certain dates (birthdays and such) and places you actually lived for a while... Unless you moved so much from one place to another it becomes hard to keep track of. Then again liquour and god knows what else can do a lot of damage as well. Whatever...

What I always found baffling is the huge gap in quality where the writing of his last three '... of the dead' films are concerned. Say what you will about Land but as far as world and character building is concerned it's miles away from Diary and Survival, at least IMO. Budgets affected the look of these films, I'm sure, but writing is something else altogether.

Characters like Slack, charlie, Riley, Kaufman, ... felt a whole lot more like classic 'Romero' characters than any of the ones whose names I cant even think of in the last two.
    It's a real shame as I do find things to like in the cynical, and often political humour in both Survival and Diary, it's just that they felt more rushed and phoned in. Less focused.
    The tribalism idea he got running in Survival (yeah I know, Muldoooooooon and all that jazz) was really good but if the characters aren't, well, 'there' it just doesn't work.

Anyways: really looking forward to your book as Day is probably one of the best horrorfilms ever made. Preordered.
    Last edited by krisvds; 06-Jul-2014 at 04:55 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Age is probably the main reason, but I feel there is a difference in remembering certain dates (birthdays and such) and places you actually lived for a while... Unless you moved so much from one place to another it becomes hard to keep track of. Then again liquour and god knows what else can do a lot of damage as well. Whatever...

Anyways: really looking forward to your book as Day is probably one of the best horrorfilms ever made. Preordered.
    Thanks for the support, I appreciate it very much. Yeah, when I interviewed George he told me he thought he was still renting Zilla Clinton's parents home on Sanibel when they filmed the movie. But that was not the case.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Now I remember why I hardly visit this place anymore.
    If you were trying to be "funny" with that comment, I am not amused. Maybe you should invest your time more profitably visiting sites like this one instead:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cut

Hint: check out definition 6 b for its noun form.
    Last edited by JDP; 07-Jul-2014 at 02:16 AM. Reason: typo

Administrator

England
    Richard Rubinstein is quoted as saying the first edit of DAY came in at 126 minutes.
    Would be fascinating to know what else was in those 20 minutes! That's a LOT of additional footage!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Would be fascinating to know what else was in those 20 minutes! That's a LOT of additional footage!
    I thought so too, Neil. But having read the shooting script there was only 1 scene that really counts as a deleted scene, which was filmed. I discuss all of that in the book(some of the audio from that deleted scene ends up being heard in the film). Most of that extra footage is just that: longer/extended scenes.

And frankly who knows if Rubinstein was correct with that running time? Neither Gornick or Buba remembered it being that long. Gornick told me that Buba always did that with his first passes though, allowed the scenes to play out longer. It's a shame though that outtakes and missing footage is apparently lost forever. Really a shame.

Administrator

England
    I me thinking some material (footage) was lost when a basement was flooded? Is that Night I'm thinking of when Image Ten was flooded? Or was it Dawn/Day material too?

Or am I imagining the whole thing?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I me thinking some material (footage) was lost when a basement was flooded? Is that Night I'm thinking of when Image Ten was flooded? Or was it Dawn/Day material too?

Or am I imagining the whole thing?
    No, you're right the basement at 247 did flood years ago. However, there's some uncertainty about what was down there at the time.

Fresh Meat

England

day of the dead alt versions

I have a workprint / rough cut of Day and it's exactly the same as the VHS/ DVD's i have seen, the only difference I can notice was small soundtrack variations but specifically Harrison's guitar riff is missing from the scene as the zombies are walking from the mines into the corridor. Steele's Death is the same.
    Last edited by spookydaz; 07-Jul-2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: repeated text

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by spookydaz View Post
    I have a workprint / rough cut of Day and it's exactly the same as the VHS/ DVD's i have seen, the only difference I can notice was small soundtrack variations but specifically Harrison's guitar riff is missing from the scene as the zombies are walking from the mines into the corridor. Steele's Death is the same.
    Always hated that guitar riff haha. Didn't fit the movie at all, but then again, I hate rock in horror movies.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Always hated that guitar riff haha. Didn't fit the movie at all, but then again, I hate rock in horror movies.
    I always felt that it worked well just because it was different from the rest of the soundtrack. Rock usually only works for me in (cheesy) itallo horror like Demons or Phenomena.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by spookydaz View Post
    Thanks, Daz!

Administrator

England
    I do know that George has suffered a couple of strokes in his life.
    I wasn't aware of this Are these over recent years or are we talking over tens of years? [If you don't mind me asking?]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I wasn't aware of this Are these over recent years or are we talking over tens of years? [If you don't mind me asking?]
    Neil,
    I was told by someone who would know that he had one during the making of The Dark Half, stemming from feuds with actor Timothy Hutton. Apparently that one damaged his hearing. The other one was about 4 years ago now. But George is very resilient and always bounces back. Thank goodness.

Undisclosed
    In my wildest dreams George is resilient enough to pull of a late career high similar to what Leone did with Once Upon A time In America. All we need is someone throwing loads of cash at him and George not phoning it in. Come on Twilight of the Dead.

/wakes up