Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel's corpse being torn by zombies - missing scene?

Rising

United States

Steel's corpse being torn by zombies - missing scene?

I tried searching for this in the older posts, but I could not see anyone asking about this scene:

I recently watched Day of the Dead on El Rey Network, where they play movies uncut, but there was something that bothered me. All the gore was there alright, nothing left out, except one thing I seem to remember from watching this movie back in the 80s. If my memory is not failing me here, I seem to remember that after Steel/Steele (the character's name seems to be spelled differently by various reference sites) commits suicide the approaching zombies proceed to start tearing flesh from his corpse. This was not shown in the "uncut" version played by El Rey Network, only later on when the zombies are eating his (already torn) remains. Does anyone else remember seeing this scene where the zombies start tearing Steel/Steele's body apart? Was this found in some other cut of the movie than the more usual one that's shown by the cable channels?

United States
    I've never heard of this scene, does it even exist?
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    No such scene exists.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    No such scene exists.
    How many cuts/versions are there of this movie? I seem to remember Steel/Steele's corpse sitting with his back against the wall (just like we see him fall down after he shoots himself) and the zombies grabbing him and starting to tear him. The first time I saw this movie was on VHS around 1988/89 but I can't remember what version/cut it was.
    Last edited by JDP; 05-Jul-2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: typo

Administrator

England
    I believe the only variation on this scene is his fingers getting bitten off? Hard to find a version with it included these days it seems!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I believe the only variation on this scene is his fingers getting bitten off? Hard to find a version with it included these days it seems!
    That was in Rickles' death scene, though. And it is featured in the cut/version that is usually shown on cable channels.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    That was in Rickles' death scene, though. And it is featured in the cut/version that is usually shown on cable channels.
    Oh yeh! I was remembering the blood on his hand, which of course was from his bitten throat!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    How many cuts/versions are there of this movie? I seem to remember Steel/Steele's corpse sitting with his back against the wall (just like we see him fall down after he shoots himself) and the zombies grabbing him and starting to tear him. The first time I saw this movie was on VHS around 1988/89 but I can't remember what version/cut it was.
    There's only 1 cut of DAY(unless you count censored versions) and there was never any footage shot of Gary Klar being torn apart.

Rising

United States
    There's only 1 cut of DAY(unless you count censored versions)
    Dawn has multiple "cuts" due to how it has been edited to include or exclude some scenes from it. Obviously there must be more than one cut of Day since the running times listed for it vary. There was a 126 minute original cut that was then edited down to 105 minutes, then there's another one that's listed as being 102 minutes, then another one as being 100 minutes, and another one 96 minutes. I don't know if there's more.

and there was never any footage shot of Gary Klar being torn apart.
    Has Romero made any statements that no such scene was shot?

Administrator

England
    Wasn't there talk once upon of time of there being Day footage but it was probably lost when their basement was flooded? Or am I imagining this?
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    There are some photographs of cut footage from the opening scenes in the city. I never heard of Savini and crew doing a Steele feast scene though ...

United States
    Dawn has multiple "cuts" due to how it has been edited to include or exclude some scenes from it. Obviously there must be more than one cut of Day since the running times listed for it vary. There was a 126 minute original cut that was then edited down to 105 minutes, then there's another one that's listed as being 102 minutes, then another one as being 100 minutes, and another one 96 minutes. I don't know if there's more.

Has Romero made any statements that no such scene was shot?
    I've spent the last 4+ years writing an extensive making of book about DAY and I can tell you with 100% certainty that there is 1 cut of the film. In "The Zombies that ate Pittsburgh" Richard Rubinstein is quoted as saying the first edit of DAY came in at 126 minutes. I asked both Mike Gornick, who served as post production supervisor on the film as well the DP, and Pat Buba, who was the editor of the film about this and this topic is discussed in the book. Those extra minutes are what Buba referred to as "trims and outs" and they were flat out never part of a finished/exhibited cut of DAY. No one knows what became of those trims and outs. They could have been thrown out or even lost. No one has a clue. And different countries trimming out gore or whatnot doesn't count as a different cut of the film. It's simply censors butchering the film.

As for whether Romero has stated it or not, that means nothing. George's memory is horrendous and when I formally interviewed him for the book he could hardly remember a thing. He didn't even remember that he had a house in Florida when they shot the movie!

Like I said I've spent A LOT of time working on the book so I know more about this movie than most do. However, if it's more interesting to believe that there are multiple cuts of DAY with missing footage of Gary Klar being torn apart, please feel free to do so.

Rising

United States
    I've spent the last 4+ years writing an extensive making of book about DAY and I can tell you with 100% certainty that there is 1 cut of the film. In "The Zombies that ate Pittsburgh" Richard Rubinstein is quoted as saying the first edit of DAY came in at 126 minutes. I asked both Mike Gornick, who served as post production supervisor on the film as well the DP, and Pat Buba, who was the editor of the film about this and this topic is discussed in the book. Those extra minutes are what Buba referred to as "trims and outs" and they were flat out never part of a finished/exhibited cut of DAY. No one knows what became of those trims and outs. They could have been thrown out or even lost. No one has a clue. And different countries trimming out gore or whatnot doesn't count as a different cut of the film. It's simply censors butchering the film.

As for whether Romero has stated it or not, that means nothing. George's memory is horrendous and when I formally interviewed him for the book he could hardly remember a thing. He didn't even remember that he had a house in Florida when they shot the movie!

Like I said I've spent A LOT of time working on the book so I know more about this movie than most do. However, if it's more interesting to believe that there are multiple cuts of DAY with missing footage of Gary Klar being torn apart, please feel free to do so.
    You might have a different definition of what a "cut" is. If you look at what people usually label a "cut" of a film, like all those different editions of Dawn that include or exclude some scenes, then obviously there's got to be more than one cut of Day as well. The running times are different.

Since you seem so sure that there is no scene with the zombies getting to Steel/Steele's corpse I thought you might have that info straight from the man himself, or perhaps from someone else (Savini, Klar, etc.) involved in the making of the film.

United States
    You might have a different definition of what a "cut" is. If you look at what people usually label a "cut" of a film, like all those different editions of Dawn that include or exclude some scenes, then obviously there's got to be more than one cut of Day as well. The running times are different.

Since you seem so sure that there is no scene with the zombies getting to Steel/Steele's corpse I thought you might have that info straight from the man himself, or perhaps from someone else (Savini, Klar, etc.) involved in the making of the film.

Now I remember why I hardly visit this place anymore.

Undisclosed
    When you interviewed Romero for your book did you have the impression he was suffering from something (Alzheimer, ...)? Not remembering where you used to live/own a house is pretty heavy. Side effects of his lifestyle back then? Whatever.

I'm just curious as I hope he will either write or direct again in the future. If his health allows him ....
    Last edited by krisvds; 06-Jul-2014 at 01:51 PM. Reason: .