Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Hateful Eight (film) - Quentin Tarantino

Administrator

England
    Hmmm... The trailer fell a bit flat on me for some reason...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnRbXn4-Yis
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I don't know why, but I keep giving Tarantino chances. Every time I see one of his new films, I say that's it, I'm done (especially after that shitfest 'Inglorious Bastards'). I didn't bother with 'Django' for ages and when I did get around to it, I was left with a big, fat, meh at the end, despite the first 2/3's of the film being relatively good.

'The Hateful Eight' more than likely will have the same effect. He hasn't made a really good film since 'Jackie Brown' and has never hit the heights, again, of 'Reservoir Dogs' and I don't think he ever will.

BTW, speaking of Kurt Russell...check out 'Bone Tomahawk' (already mentioned by Moon). It's slow and steady, but a very good debut effort from a director I'll be keeping an eye on, with a great performance by Matthew Fox and no, I'm not making that up.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I don't know why, but I keep giving Tarantino chances. Every time I see one of his new films, I say that's it, I'm done (especially after that shitfest 'Inglorious Bastards'). I didn't bother with 'Django' for ages and when I did get around to it, I was left with a big, fat, meh at the end, despite the first 2/3's of the film being relatively good..
    I've enjoyed all of his films to some degree

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    BTW, speaking of Kurt Russell...check out 'Bone Tomahawk' (already mentioned by Moon). It's slow and steady, but a very good debut effort from a director I'll be keeping an eye on, with a great performance by Matthew Fox and no, I'm not making that up.
    On my list now!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Hmmm... The trailer fell a bit flat on me for some reason...
    Still looking forward to it. I suspect this is the type of flick that a trailer isn't going to do a lot of justice, as I anticipate the focus is going to be on juicy dialog and the interplay of the actors.

Super Moderator

UK
    I always enjoy QT's flicks. Inglorious Basterds was a little bit disjointed with switching around between different characters all the time (and felt a little bit overlong), but then Django Unchained regained the sense of pace and focus, and was a hell of a fun time!

Looking forward to this one, too!

BTW - here's the newest (2nd) trailer just out today (the one Neil posted further down was actually the 1st trailer):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_UI1GzaWv0
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 06-Nov-2015 at 05:43 PM.

Administrator

England
    Reviews seem +ve - http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015...muel-l-jackson

A blood-splattered murder mystery in 19th-century Wyoming is the notional plot for Tarantino’s swaggering off-message and old-fashioned three-hour masterpiece.
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I loved it! Even though it's another western from Tarantino, it couldn't be further away from Django tonally. In a strange way, this flick is like Tarantino's nod to Carpenter's The Thing. From the claustrophobic setting in a blizzard, to Ennio Morricone's score, to the basic plot of "its one of us.....but who?!?", there are many things that remind the viewer of The Thing. In fact....I'd say this is a better nod to The Thing than that prequel they released several years back!

Very enjoyable film with great performances, great score, great plot, great just about everything. I'm not sure if I could see myself watching it more than two or three times given its lengthy and talkative nature, but that initial viewing is a hell of a ride. 8/10

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I loved it! Even though it's another western from Tarantino, it couldn't be further away from Django tonally. In a strange way, this flick is like Tarantino's nod to Carpenter's The Thing. From the claustrophobic setting in a blizzard, to Ennio Morricone's score, to the basic plot of "its one of us.....but who?!?", there are many things that remind the viewer of The Thing. In fact....I'd say this is a better nod to The Thing than that prequel they released several years back!

Very enjoyable film with great performances, great score, great plot, great just about everything. I'm not sure if I could see myself watching it more than two or three times given its lengthy and talkative nature, but that initial viewing is a hell of a ride. 8/10
    Good to hear! I had mixed feeloings from the trailer, but I'll be seeing it week after next here in the UK!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

Sounds great! It having a Thing-like vibe to it gets me all revved up.

I probably won't get to see it until it comes out on Blu-Ray - but I'm very much looking forward to seeing it!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    A bit of thread necromancy for a surprising new release of Hateful Eight....

I haven’t had a chance to check it out, but apparently there is now a longer edit of the film available on Netflix. From what I’ve heard, it’s actually Tarantino’s personal edit that he used during the 70MM traveling roadshow that happened in America. The strange twist is that it’s separated into four parts on Netflix, much like a miniseries.

So I’m torn.....Tarantino’s additional footage is definitely alluring, but I have a hard time seeing him agree to chopping it into sections. Surely Netflix didn’t do this without his permission? Seems strange that we STILL don’t have Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair, yet this seemingly appeared on Netflix out of nowhere...

Super Moderator

UK
    I'd heard that the 'Roadshow' version of the movie was going to hit Netflix, but I had no idea about this 'split it into parts like a TV series' notion until just yesterday. Apparently the whole thing runs somewhere around 210 minutes BUT the vast majority of that added runtime is just the bloody credits (opening and closing) being on every 'episode'. Indeed, being that this is a sort of 'episodic' version, you can't help but wonder if there's much from the roadshow version at all (which had IIRC an interlude).

All I'd really be interested in is additional footage.

This certainly is a very weird and surprising idea.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Love the film. Might check the longer version out.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Love the film. Might check the longer version out.
    There's an even longer cut?

I recall wasn't it the opening scene with a carriage just coming towards the camera for about 47 minutes?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    There's an even longer cut?

I recall wasn't it the opening scene with a carriage just coming towards the camera for about 47 minutes?

I looked at the comparison on MovieCensorship.com, and it seems that each 'episode' does indeed have some scene extensions at various points which usually amount to a few minutes each. The bulk of the 'overall' running time, though, comes down to the repeated opening and closing credits for each 'episode'.

I was gonna give it a looksee, but it seems Netflix UK only has the original theatrical version. It's really annoying when there's all these articles out there online about something on Netflix, but it's actually only for Netflix USA.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I came across an article yesterday saying that Netflix approached Tarantino about the episodic idea, then he and his editor personally put this new version together. Good to hear, Tarantino seems to be lightening up as he gets older. The whole “ten movies and I’m done” thing is slipping away, Star Trek is a real possibility, new edits, etc. Looking forward to trying this new version out!

MZ - that’s a shame it’s not available to you, I’d assumed that Netflix added it worldwide...