Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Z NATION coming soon to SYFY

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Z Nado was it's best episode, it had a obvious set up but events went the opposite way.
    Last edited by Rottedfreak; 16-Oct-2014 at 03:42 PM. Reason: zc\v\dfs

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Its not that bad, I guess i will survive through whole season.

Tibet
    Surprisingly, it's turned out a lot better than I thought it would. There are still some eye-rolling scenes, but I like a lot of what they've done. It's refreshing to see people actually finding a way to live through the whole thing. As much as I like TWD, occasionally I'd just like to see them doing something other than always reacting to dilemmas.

Murphy biting the guy, and basically passing on immunity was an interesting plot twist. Didn't see that one coming.

UK
    Well, After my initial reaction to Ep1, I buckled and have caught up with a load more eps.
    I have to say, I'm glad I did! .... I've caught right up to date now and the show does get a lot better,
    it's actually quite entertaining and has left me waiting for the next one to air.

IMHO, this show is to TWD what 'Return OTLD' was to the original Romero trilogy.

I like the humor in it and the fact that like Star Trek, each episode is an individual story being
    completed by the end under the over-arching storyline.

Is it worth watching.... now, I'd say yes, I'm glad I gave it a second spin.
    Ep1 is strangely the worst one though, I thought.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by RichW View Post
    IMHO, this show is to TWD what 'Return OTLD' was to the original Romero trilogy.
    Great way of describing it. I really enjoyed the episode with the Liberty Bell gag and the other with the shooting competition, plenty of laughs. Although, there's been a couple of really poor episodes IMO, particularly the "Groundhog Day" rip off/homage a couple of weeks back. I also like the scale of the show as they move from state to state each week. For me, Murphy the misanthrope is probably the most interesting character.
    Last edited by Morto Vivente; 19-Nov-2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: edit
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

Tibet
    I'm really quite enamored of the show, amazingly enough. It's always fun seeing what they're ripping off each episode (Groundhog Day), but to my surprise I've grown to really like the characters.

Twitching

United States
    That IS a very apt analogy for the show.
    It has gotten quite a bit better as the season has worn on. I miss an episode here and there, but eventually catch up. Z Nation isn't the high drama of TWD, but as I've said before it's a fun romp with a few eye-roll-worthy incidents. Can recommend it wholeheartedly.

P.S: I still dig the chick's spiked bat. That has to be one of the best zombie-killing blunt instruments I've ever seen in the genre.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post

P.S: I still dig the chick's spiked bat. That has to be one of the best zombie-killing blunt instruments I've ever seen in the genre.
    Spikes that are long enough to deeply pierce, as opposed to focus impact, are bad for the wielder's long-term health.

Just sayin'.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Please don't make me watch it... It's The Asylum ffs!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I tuned in a couple of times, & got exactly the experience one would expect from them. Even as a connoisseur of cheese, I'm puzzled that anyone likes this.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I tuned in a couple of times, & got exactly the experience one would expect from them. Even as a connoisseur of cheese, I'm puzzled that anyone likes this.
    That's a shame, as I think this show straddles a line pretty well and has delivered okay zombie effects, balls out fun and a few truly unexpected twists and turns.

I find that there are a couple uneven episodes. 3, in my opinion, actually: the pilot, which still wasn't all that bad; "Home Sweet Zombie", the Z-nado episode, that still had a few cool bits going for it and "Die, Zombie, Die... Again", which as stated above, was pretty much ground hog day and felt a bit flat, but was a decent bit of characterization for two of the cast members.

In fact, if you can hold your nose past a lot of other zombie movies (I often can't), I don't see why you can't enjoy this series. It's way better than Survival or Diary, and much more honest about what it's trying to accomplish in its storytelling.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    When you put it like that, it makes me think maybe I'm looking for a different experience from a TV show than a movie. I don't have a problem w/ a cheesy movie, since it's a one time experience. With a TV series being an ongoing thing, I guess maybe I'm looking for a deeper, more serious experience to engage with (a la TWD).

The few times I checked it out I was really disconnected from it & couldn't really engage with it. Maybe that's why. Couldn't put my finger on it before. Just knew it didn't grab me for some reason.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Be strong brother...don't give in!
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Tibet
    Give it a couple of episodes. You may not like it. It happens. I found that once I was able to get through the first episode (which I originally deleted from the DVR after 6 minutes), it actually grew on me. I don't like everything they put into the episodes, but it's a bit of fluff that I can sit through. To be honest, I think I sort of see it as an antidote to the oppressive pessimism of TWD. Never thought I'd ever say that. I actually look forward to the new episode on Friday.

YMMV, but give it a realistic shot.

Super Moderator

United States
    Finally finished off season 1 and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot more than a few seasons of The Walking Dead. Loads of fun, definitely schlocky at times, but in some ways ZNation is more TWD, than the television version of TWD.