Thread: The aliens in "Signs" were not aliens?

Administrator

England

The aliens in "Signs" were not aliens?

Never heard of this before... but the suggestion is they were actually demons.

An interview with Shyamalan - http://www.somethingawful.com/news/w...ng-twister-an/

An article talking about this - http://www.quietearth.us/articles/20...yamalans-SIGNS

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Likely covering his ass for the bad job he did with them being alien invaders.

To get to demons you'd have to ignore the ships positioning themselves around the world,the birds killed when they flew into them when cloaked, the aliens being physical entities and leaving corpses (demons aren't meant to be) and their whole recon operation seen in the first hour of the movie.

There has been a recent trend in evangelical Christianity that aliens are really demons and can be warded off by calling out to Jesus, it's been going since the seventies where Carl Sagan, among many others, noted modern alien abduction and classic demon visitation at night had the same pattern (see sleep paralysis, lucid dreams).
    Last edited by Rottedfreak; 08-Aug-2014 at 07:51 PM. Reason: ijpo

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Shyamalan catches a lot of hate because of his "tweest ending!" routine(admittedly, it has worn thin), but I still enjoy his earlier works. Sixth Sense was over hyped but still an enjoyable film, I LOVE Unbreakable, and Signs is a damn fine film, imho. Unbreakable being the best of the three and one of the best "superhero" movies made.

As for aliens/demons......isn't it kinda late for anyone to care at this point? I don't care what they are, I just enjoy the film for what it is.

Super Moderator

United States
    I actually have a real weak spot for Signs, despite some of the questionable aspects of the film and the water wackiness. There's a lot of great dialogue and well acted, (to me) tense scenes, the mood is set almost perfectly and the music is awesome.

Then again, I also think The Village is a stellar film about reaching beyond fear for those we love, that was unfortunately mislabeled and hyped as a horror.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Shyamalan catches a lot of hate because of his "tweest ending!" routine(admittedly, it has worn thin), but I still enjoy his earlier works. Sixth Sense was over hyped but still an enjoyable film, I LOVE Unbreakable, and Signs is a damn fine film, imho. Unbreakable being the best of the three and one of the best "superhero" movies made.

As for aliens/demons......isn't it kinda late for anyone to care at this point? I don't care what they are, I just enjoy the film for what it is.
    All three of those films (Sixth Sense, Unbreakabe and Signs) were great in their own way. Shame his mojo seems to have gone!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm pretty sure that SomethingAwful interview is fake.
    But yeah, the theory is interesting. I really like Signs. Two years ago I showed it to a friend of mine who'd never seen it before and he really loved it.
    So it's got it still.

Also, while I haven't seen Lady in the Water, I still really like M. Nights films. After Earth was a welcome breeze of classical tempoed action when compared to the plethora of majestic, effects heavy and rapid-storytelling stuff we get served with on a regular basis.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    But yeah, the theory is interesting. I really like Signs. Two years ago I showed it to a friend of mine who'd never seen it before and he really loved it.
    So it's got it still.

Also, while I haven't seen Lady in the Water, I still really like M. Nights films. After Earth was a welcome breeze of classical tempoed action when compared to the plethora of majestic, effects heavy and rapid-storytelling stuff we get served with on a regular basis.
    I really liked "Lady" as a weird, quirky, grown-up fairy tale of sorts. Paul Giamatti was amazing in it. "The Village"? felt too cheated & enraged by "the tweest". "The Happening"...?

The unevenness & logical inconsistencies of "Signs" was where I felt him slipping a bit, though it's still an enjoyable movie overall.

"The Sixth Sense", & particularly as Bass noted, "Unbreakable"? Great films IMO.

England
    I really like Signs as well.
    Not sure about them being demons though. Bizarre claim to make
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Agree. Does SomethingAwful ever do straight interviews?

The whole water thing in Signs was just way too much to swallow, and I don't buy the demon theory. I liked Sixth Sense and Unbreakable a lot and the Village wasn't bad, but I can't see ever wanting to watch Signs again.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria