Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Westworld (TV series) - Ed Harris

Administrator

England
    Well, we're over half way through the series and it just seems to be re-treading the same stuff over and over... And we're still not really going anywhere after 6 episodes?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    But, conversely, it's only six episodes. It's not that much really.

On the opposite side of that fence, there's 'Wayward Pines' which shot it's bolt halfway through the first series.

I can't see 'Westworld' being a winner though, as enjoyable as I've found it, for the reasons already mentioned. There just isn't enough story to drag out over multiple series. 'Westworld' is essentially a disaster story. You just cannot make something like that stretch over something like 20, 30 or 40 episodes, spanning 2, 3 or 4 years.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    But, conversely, it's only six episodes. It's not that much really.

On the opposite side of that fence, there's 'Wayward Pines' which shot it's bolt halfway through the first series.

I can't see 'Westworld' being a winner though, as enjoyable as I've found it, for the reasons already mentioned. There just isn't enough story to drag out over multiple series. 'Westworld' is essentially a disaster story. You just cannot make something like that stretch over something like 20, 30 or 40 episodes, spanning 2, 3 or 4 years.
    That's 3 films or so...

For me its limping along, and I'm trying to enjoy it as I don't won't to feel like I've wasted my time so far...

Guess with 4 episodes left, I'll see it though now...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Like Neil, I'll likely see it through to the end of the season now - I did the same with the woeful Under The Dome (which started out decent enough, but crashed through the floor faster than I've ever seen in a TV show, and meant that I never bothered with season 2).

Strangely enough, I found the most recent episode to be more interesting. It finally dripped in a bit more interest and a little bit of forward momentum was had (e.g. Maeve), but it is still being dreadfully coy with its storytelling. There's a better middle ground to be found here, somewhere that sits comfortably between 'shooting your bolt too soon' and 'dragging it out too long'.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    That's 3 films or so...

For me its limping along, and I'm trying to enjoy it as I don't won't to feel like I've wasted my time so far...

Guess with 4 episodes left, I'll see it though now...
    You can say that about any modern format TV show though.

By their nature, it's going to feel like a longer journey. I think you may be giving it a tougher ride, though, because you already know the outcome?

Anyway, if you don't enjoy it or feel that you have to try, why watch it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I did the same with the woeful Under The Dome (which started out decent enough, but crashed through the floor faster than I've ever seen in a TV show, and meant that I never bothered with season 2).
    'Under the Dome' is a perfect example of what's wrong with today's TV. Don't get me wrong, TV is miles better than the 70's, 80's and 90's TV shows that populated airwaves, but it's the bombast that has to be generated these days that's irritating. 'Under the Dome' was ripe for a 6 episode (8 at best) mini-series, that could have told the tale and got the fuck out before anyone noticed it was getting shite.

Instead we got a network trying to shoehorn middling drama and situations that were completely superfluous to the actual central story and ended up with people figuring that nothing was behind the curtain.

I kind of blame 'Lost' for a lot of where TV has gone in the last 10 or so years. That thing was dragged out for 121 episodes and the writers hadn't a clue what it was about after the first series ended. But viewership (ie money) dictated that any old shite should be made up to keep it going regardless, leading to its inevitably disapointing ending.

Hopefully, there's a real story arc with 'Westworld', cos if they're going to jip people with an S1 cliffhanger and try to stretch it to a series 2 and 3 ad nauseum, a lot of people just won't bother, myself included.

Super Moderator

UK
    I enjoyed Lost. I agree that it had its share of problems and went on too long (the first three seasons flag that up majorly, with big flabby mid-sections and glacial developments in the plot), but at least in the final three seasons they laid out a certain number of episodes over three (and no more) seasons - so there was an injection of pace and intention. I also dug the ending. I don't understand why so many people seemed to not understand the whole 'flash sideways' shtick of season 6, that they really were on that island, and that the island wasn't purgatory (only the season six flash sideways were). /rant

Also - uh oh.

http://dailydead.com/hbo-renews-west...second-season/

We'll see, eh? As I've said, I'm struggling a bit with Westworld, but at the same time there's various things I really like about it ... but sometimes it only does the bare minimum to keep me interested (but that means I'm still interested, just not all that eager for the next episode) ... but then there are other times when I really enjoy it. So, in short, it's very up-and-down for me ... ... that was not the case with Under The Dome: that was just all downhill.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 14-Nov-2016 at 06:34 PM.

Ireland
    It's very slow burning, there's no doubt, but it does seem to be super popular (for some reason).

Just finished episode 7

and while there's a bit of meh going on with the Delores storyline, the reveal with Hopkins at the end was great.

I'm not really liking the subplot with the whore and the two engineers though. It would just so easy simply to switch her off, but they're continually kow-towing to her. That's just not working for me.

It has it's issues and I'm not sure about another series, but for now, it's on my watch list. It's an interesting and inteligent drama and considering how much TV is just bloody awful, I'm happy enough.

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh yeah, no doubt. While Westworld has some sizeable flaws at times, it shits all over a vast swathe of telly out there - indeed, as we've often mentioned it in this thread, Westworld makes Under The Dome look like a stepped-in dog turd. Westworld is no classic-in-waiting at this stage (and is perhaps unlikely to ever really attain such a status), but there are many things that I really dig about it, too.

I've not seen the latest episode yet (it's on Sky Atlantic tonight, but I'll likely watch it tomorrow night).

Ireland
    I think you'll enjoy it.

Let's just say it kicks things up a notch.

Administrator

England
    Second season is go - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37987179

Can't believe this first season (of ten episodes) cost $100m! Wow!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Huh. . .I've been enjoying the hell out the show. I just really wish they had Medieval World as well! I guess with GOT, they figure they had that covered. But yeah. . Great acting and I have been enjoying the slow burn of the show thus far.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Ireland
    Yeh Medieval World would have been great.

And Futureworld!!!!

Well, maybe not futureworld.

Super Moderator

UK
    Okay, caught up on the latest episode - yes, now it's getting some momentum going, I'm getting reeled in, things are really starting to move. That's not to say there aren't strands or plot or characters I don't really give a toss about, but overall these last couple of episodes have improved my general opinion of the show and I'm enjoying it more.

As for the other worlds ... considering the sheer volume of characters just covering Westworld, you'd be hopelessly lost in a complete jumble if you had other worlds in there, too. Plus - seeing as the budget per episode is $10m and that's just for Westworld, you'd be looking at a vast budget of double or triple the current amount - it ain't gonna happen, at least not to the same scale. There's still the mystery of what Anthony Hopkins' character is building out there, but still...

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    There's still the mystery of what Anthony Hopkins' character is building out there, but still...

If you mean what new robot is he building in his mini lab, it's a new Theresa I reckon. He'd heard about her "blood sacrifice" and made the decision to replace her. Plus with the revelation that Bernard is a bot, it begs the question who else is and under his ultimate control? If you mean what is he excavating, then god knows.

I thought the Bernard reveal was well handled. His "what door" was odd, but the "It doesn't look like anything to me" was brilliant. I genuinely didn't suspect.

Super Moderator

UK

I was meaning the excavation project ... but yes, I hadn't even thought about who that body that was being built will become. It could very well be another Theresa - otherwise people will question where she disappeared to. I'd also like that to be the case as Sidse Babett Knudsen, who plays Theresa, is doing a great job in the role. I saw her in "The Duke of Burgundy" and she was superb in that, so it was a nice surprise to see her turn up in this.

Yes, I also thought the Bernard reveal was done very well. I hadn't considered that one (or more) of the staff might be 'fakes', if you will. As soon as he said "what door?" my senses tingled - could it be?! - and, as you say, the 'looks like nothing to me' was chilling. He had no idea and then he has to discover this - and kill his lover. A rough day at the office, eh?

I'm very interested to see where it all goes from here. It would have been nice to have felt some more of this focus and momentum earlier on as it was all a bit scattergun in the first five episodes, but hopefully the persistence will continue to pay off. I'm looking forward to the next episode now.