Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pff. Hodgkin's. Crap.

Banned
    Banned User

United States

Pff. Hodgkin's. Crap.

Hey all, blind here. (I'm working on not being as annoying as I usually am).
    I just wanted y'all to know that I was recently diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma. I've had a few CT scans, a biopsy, FNA, ultrasounds, echocardiogram, and PF Tests. My chemo treatment should start pretty soon, after the port insertion early Thursday morning. No one should panic, as the chance of me dying from it with the treatment is like really really low. It just sucks to have all these tumors around and on my neck. Feels kinda like my own body is slowly trying to strangle me. It's harder to swallow, and I can't really talk above a whisper right now. I'm basically venting here, but if anyone's genuinely interested, that's cool too. Oh, and I watched Dawn again today for maybe the 23rd time, but the first time in like two years. It's still as good as I remember. Okay, I love you, buhbye.

Port surgery pushed back to Friday, late morning, due to stuff. Stuff I don't really know anything about.
    Last edited by blind2d; 03-Sep-2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: update

Administrator

England
    I'm so very sorry to hear this! But I'm glad you seem +ve and upbeat about the prognisis/future!

Cancer is a total f***er, so I truly hope you overcome/beat it!

You have my total admiration and sincere hopes for the best!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Shit dude, that really sucks - but your positive attitude and prognosis is good.

I wish you well and all the very best for a speedy recovery!

I too watched Dawn again recently ... I've lost count of how many times I've seen it ... but it's still a good flick that has managed to hold my admiration for half my life thus far. It's funny, sometimes you watch a movie for the umpteenth time, a movie you're so familiar with you can say all the lines of dialogue along with it, even predict the music cues and sound effects, but now and then out of the blue something will strike you about that oh-so-familiar film that you didn't really notice before.

A couple of viewings of Dawn ago, I noticed just how full-on the first two chunks of Dawn are (the TV studio bit and the apartment block raid). They're pretty intense, and I noticed more than ever just how good Romero's editing was. The rhythm of it, the sparkiness of it, the sense of flow - it's breathless.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Hell yeah, Minion! I noticed that too while I was watching it; the editing I mean. It's just so... How to describe it? It keeps moving. There are down moments, sure, but they seem few and far between, without being jarring. It's really just brilliant. Vast difference from today's action sh!t where you can't tell what's going on, and the camera's drunk most of the time. How can that kind of thing affect one emotionally? It doesn't work for me, in any case, but Dawn is just a masterwork. Fran, Roger and Peter are like old friends now. Screw Stephen. He's a jerk. But yeah...
    "Yeah, trucks!"
    Thanks for the well-wishing also. Much appreciated.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Hell yeah, Minion! I noticed that too while I was watching it; the editing I mean. It's just so... How to describe it? It keeps moving.
    And that was in the day of real editing with scissors and tape!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    And that was in the day of real editing with scissors and tape!
    Indeed - even more impressive!

Yes, Romero's editing is more about rhythm. I agree with you blind2d, nowadays it seems to be just smashing a bunch of wobbly footage together digitally and you've no idea what's going on half the time. Fortunately, while we end up with awful editing and camerawork such as that in the Transformers movies and its ilk, we get something like The Raid 2 where we know exactly what's going on, we see the choreography in-full, and we understand the physical space that the people are occupying.

The modern way can be handled way, but it's incredibly easy to handle it poorly ... even good movies suffer from dodgy moments of editing. They could do with taking a leaf out of Romero's book. It also helped that he got so much coverage, so because of the amount of shots he was able to get, that increased the tension or pace of a scene. There's kind of a home invasion sequence in Season of the Witch (aka Jack's Wife) that blew me away - the film itself isn't his best work, and it's a little bit dull here and there, but man ... that sequence just comes out swinging and all of a sudden you're gripped like nobody's business and it's all down to the editing ... and yet the editing never makes a big show of itself (i.e. like today's worst offenders where it shows itself by making viewers not understand what's going on, or going stupidly fast) ... you're focused on the scene, not the editing, yet it's the editing that's got you gripped so tightly.

Films like The Crazies, and Martin, in addition to the standard bearers of Night and Dawn, really show off Romero's top quality editing.

Undisclosed
    Good luck with everything, man. I'm sure you & the doctors have this by the ass!
    Let us know how you're doing when you can.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    Good luck with everything, man. I'm sure you & the doctors have this by the ass!
    Let us know how you're doing when you can.
    Thanks, zim. I'll let you know how tomorrow goes (bone marrow biopsy, Port installation, and first injection of chemo). Yes. By the ass.

Undisclosed
    I wish you all the best, lots of strenght, friendship and your usual sense of humour in beating this Blind!

Always enjoyed coming to this place and reading your at times pretty far out and always funny posts. Being a Damon Albarn/Gorillaz fan helps with that I suppose.
    On that note: listened to the Albarn solo album yet? It's pretty good. It kinda grows on you after a while like most good albums do.

and yeah, Dawn ... It's the gift that keeps on giving isn't it. The editing on that film is like music, the 'beats' are perfect. It may be dated in some places but the rythm of that film is what keeps me coming back to it as well. Just perfect.

Super Moderator

United States
    My best to you, Blind. You're young, strong and...ahem...quirky enough to pimpsmack any brand of cancer that rears its ugly head in your system. I know it sucks, even if I can't imagine the situation, I've known enough people with lymphoma to know the treatment will be quite the road to travel. The good thing is you've got this. You've got it by the ass!

You ever need anything, please PM.

--Doug

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Wow, thanks kris and Aces!!

Gotta go get some sleep now, but I'm just amazed at the posts from you guys. I... I feel all mushy 'n stuff now... Seriously, no sarcasm. I haven't been this emotional about something from an internet forum since I first saw World War Z or something... I'm tired, apologies. I'm just glad you folks remember me, even though it's practically criminal how little I've been on here in the last couple years or so. Place seems a little more dead than usual, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, is it?

Just watched 'The Seventh Seal' for the first time a few weeks ago, also. Excellent film. I know everyone says that, but it's true.

Thanks, Aces. I'll do that. Well, off to bed.

Ireland
    Sorry to hear of your troubles lad. The good news is the thing to hold onto. Sod the rest.

Good luck with the surgery and keep upbeat.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

UK
    Hey Blind, Sorry to hear of your news.I don't know you personally, but, My thoughts
    and best wishes are with you at this time for a speedy recovery.

Your posts have often made me chuckle!

My father has been receiving chemo for bowel cancer for the last 2+ years. So i've seen
    first hand some of the lows and highs. There's no doubt, it's a tough journey.
    But with a steely resolve, determination and a generous pinch of humour , I'm sure you'll
    get there.

We hope to find out sometime December whether he's finally got it 'kicked into touch'
    Fingers crossed

Good Luck with everything & as others have said, if you need anything....

Rich

United States
    Sorry to hear this kid. If there's a bright side to this, it's at least it's one of the most treatable & least life threatening forms of the vile disease. Stay strong young man, & know that all of your online friends in these parts wish you all the best.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Wow, thanks again, everyone! I really mean it. So today went well... Bone marrow biopsy hurt like a muthabucka, but only for a minute or so, thank the maker (Oh! Two pop culture references in one sentence, WHAAAAT?!). But seriously, avoid all similar operations whenever possible. Most unpleasant. The port was worse on the fear side of things, but not so bad since at least they konked me out successfully. Port still is sore and ugly, with bruising beneath the large part. And lastly first round of chemo injections went just swimmingly. No horrible side effects (at least not yet), and I got to listen to mah tunes whilst it was going down. Plus my nurse was really cute. So yep, definitely could have been worse. Thanks an umpteenth time for the well-wishes, everyone. I really can't fully express my gratitude for your concern and just general awesomeness. Screw tumblr, this is a REAL internet community!