Thread: Scottish independence

Administrator

England

Scottish independence

So tomorrow Scotland votes for independence. Currently it looks a close run thing, but my logic suggests at the last moment, common sense will kick in, and people will vote no.

HOWEVER, this is Scotland we're talking about where huge numbers seem to have what can only be put as a chip on their shoulder about ther southern cousins. So who knows!

If they vote yes, going to be fascinating viewing to see what happens up there!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-29231440
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I think the "No" vote will squeak it, but the difference could be as much as 10%, particularly with all this talk of intimidation and threats from Yes voters to No voters that I've been reading about today (e.g. vandalism, threats, etc) - by which I mean, if that's been the case, then the "No" vote is quite possibly underestimated. That said, I imagine there's been abuse flinging in both directions from both camps, which just isn't on.

We shall see.

It's interesting that, in broad terms, this whole thing has gone in a similar direction to the independence referendum in the 1990s over Quebec (e.g. with a late-in-the-game change in the polls favouring the independence supporters) ... ultimately the "No" vote won it.

I was watching a vox pops piece earlier today and a Scottish hairdresser summed it up well - Salmond has an awful lot to answer for in terms of dividing his apparently beloved nation. There's vitriol on both sides, friends and families split on the issue - sometimes in a mild manner, sometimes in a very angry manner - and such a divide won't disappear after the result is announced. It'll fester for a long old time, which is a sad prospect. No matter which way the vote goes, the political landscape is going to change somehow - to what extent remains to be seen - but in general I've not been impressed with how the referendum campaign has been conducted on both sides.

Also, in the event of a "No" vote, the "West Lothian Question" will have to be answered in Westminster.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 17-Sep-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Ireland
    Where did Krackers go. He was a Scot, wasn't he?

I wonder what way he'd be voting.

TBH, If I was living in Scotland, I'd be torn.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    So common sense kicked in and the vote was "NO".

Still kind of depressing nearly half of Scottish folk wanted to leave though
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So common sense kicked in and the vote was "NO".

Still kind of depressing nearly half of Scottish folk wanted to leave though
    I see no reason why a desire for self determination equals a lack of common sense nor should it be depressing that people would want to vote in a manner that their conscience dictates.
    Last edited by Mike70; 19-Sep-2014 at 12:59 PM. Reason: doubled
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    I see no reason why a desire for self determination equals a lack of common sense nor should it be depressing that people would want to vote in a manner that their conscience dictates.
    Fair point, but IMHO:-
    1) There's better ways to obtain some "self determination" than fracturing the country up.
    2) The country (& Scotland) will be better off unified.
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Fair point, but IMHO:-
    1) There's better ways to obtain some "self determination" than fracturing the country up.
    2) The country (& Scotland) will be better off unified.
    Thanks for clarifying. I agree on both points. As a neutral observer who has taken a deep look and interest in this issue, I've never really been able to see any tangible.benefit (for anyone) if.scotland were to break away from the UK. In the long run it would've most likely led to all manner of rather petty, niggling disputes over everything from territorial waters, currency, eu membership (I understand that there is another vote.coming up on that in the near future), border issues and a whole host of other things no one even anticipated. There is also the issue of how this would effect the very close relationship between the US and the UK. So, im glad the UK is still the UK.

Unlike most people in the world I understand that England, Scotland, Wales , and Northern Ireland all go together to make up the UK. Thus the frickin name United Kingdom. It amazes me how many folks confuse that. Probably because England has the vast majority of the population...
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. I agree on both points. As a neutral observer who has taken a deep look and interest in this issue, I've never really been able to see any tangible.benefit (for anyone) if.scotland were to break away from the UK. In the long run it would've most likely led to all manner of rather petty, niggling disputes over everything from territorial waters, currency, eu membership (I understand that there is another vote.coming up on that in the near future), border issues and a whole host of other things no one even anticipated. There is also the issue of how this would effect the very close relationship between the US and the UK. So, im glad the UK is still the UK.

Unlike most people in the world I understand that England, Scotland, Wales , and Northern Ireland all go together to make up the UK. Thus the frickin name United Kingdom. It amazes me how many folks confuse that. Probably because England has the vast majority of the population...
    Pardon my paraphrase; "Who are the Britons then? "
    "You are, we all are, and I am your King. "
    "Well I didn't vote for you. "
    "You don't vote for a king."
    "Well how do you become King(or Queen, in this case)then?"

And so forth, and so on ... and now, a Yes Scotsman on a horse(a shot rings out and the John Cleese lookalike in a kilt falls off; followed by a stock clip of an audience of little old ladies clapping)

Good luck to all, when this issue swings back around at some undisclosed time in the future. As Monty Python would say(again paraphrase); It's not quite dead yet!
    Last edited by wayzim; 19-Sep-2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: B'cuz