Thread: The Babadook (film) - OK, this gives me the heebeejeebees!

Administrator

England

The Babadook (film) - OK, this gives me the heebeejeebees!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Yeh, I heard about this one at the beginning of the year. It's been the one horror film I've been actually looking forward to. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if it didn't get a release in Ireland.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

Germany
    I saw it Saturday night. It was well acted, and creepy. The ending is a bit puzzling, but overall we enjoyed it.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    This was one of the best horror films I've seen in ages. Great performances, weird atmosphere and managed to balance "scary monster" with proper psychological horror.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I saw it Saturday night. It was well acted, and creepy. The ending is a bit puzzling, but overall we enjoyed it.
    Yeah, it was a weird ending, but I thought it was good. It made sense in a way since

the movie is sort of a metaphor for grief and mental illness. I think it's saying these problems can't be annihilated completely, but they can be kept in check and carefully managed so that they don't pose a problem in daily life, like how they capture the Babadook and feed it and keep under control.

Super Moderator

Germany
    I get that interpretation is a possible explanation, but as an explanation there are more questions than that explanation can answer. I would say that even though that might be the theme, the ending is intentionally ambiguous.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    TheGirlDoesRant on youtube did a good review of it. I want to see it, but she does reveal some spoilers. Seems like a good film, yeah.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I was really impressed with this film. Very nice to see a well made low budget horror film that doesn't rely on gore or jump scares. Of course there are a few jump scares, but they're used sparingly and the main horror of the film is a building psychological fear.

It's also great to see a film with deeper meaning getting the attention it deserves. Really enjoyable yet disturbing film. 9/10

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I was really impressed with this film. Very nice to see a well made low budget horror film that doesn't rely on gore or jump scares. Of course there are a few jump scares, but they're used sparingly and the main horror of the film is a building psychological fear.

It's also great to see a film with deeper meaning getting the attention it deserves. Really enjoyable yet disturbing film. 9/10
    Oh God! Guess I'd better watch this
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Saw it three weeks ago. I enjoyed it but like all horror films it stopped being scary halfway through.

Sinister and Insidious had the exact same problems.

Ireland
    While I certainly thought it was better than both 'Insidious' and 'Sinister', that bloody kid was a complete head wreck. I wanted the Babadook to tear him to shreds.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....