Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek 3 (film) - Shatner's return

Administrator

England

Star Trek 3 (film) - Shatner's return

So Shatner is to appear in the next Star Trek flick? - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69037

Is this yet another time travel piece of nonsense?

Or is it more of a cameo?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States

There was a time this would have filled me with much joy...before the first one came out & I skipped the last one...

Super Moderator

United States
    Uggh, Shatner. He's only fun for comedic purposes, and I actually like the new films to date, so hopefully just a cameo.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    I'm probably in the minority here, but the new 'Star Trek' reboots have left me fierce cold. Although, I have to admit to really only liking the original series and even that tested my patience at times. So, the idea of a Star Trek 3 with the Shat just confirms my suspicions that these reboots are nothing more than name-rape money spinners that devoted Trekkies will eventually come to loath.

I do like Zachary Quinto's take on young Spock though. It's really the only thing that I got out of the JJ Binks' pictures.

But really, it's time to let the original cast RIP.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I'm probably in the minority here, but the new 'Star Trek' reboots have left me fierce cold. Although, I have to admit to really only liking the original series and even that tested my patience at times. So, the idea of a Star Trek 3 with the Shat just confirms my suspicions that these reboots are nothing more than name-rape money spinners that devoted Trekkies will eventually come to loath.

I do like Zachary Quinto's take on young Spock though. It's really the only thing that I got out of the JJ Binks' pictures.

But really, it's time to let the original cast RIP.
    I enjoyed the first 20mins of the first flick, and then felt the rest was OK.

The second just felt so contrived it annoyed me. The script was pretty poor IMHO.

The third I'll wait and most likely catch on Bluray, unless reviews convince me otherwise.

For me, Star Trek (films) are The Wrath of Khan and The Search For Spock. Those two sat togethor wonderfully!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I really like the first Star Trek film. I was bored to tears by it when I was a kid, but as an adult, I think it's one of the best in the series. I really like its serious tone.

But, yeh, agree totally on the 2nd reboot film. It's complete rubbish. In fact, when I saw the Enterprise hiding under water so a primitive culture wouldn't be affected by the prime directive, I thought that was just stupid. It didn't get any better.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    when I saw the Enterprise hiding under water so a primitive culture wouldn't be affected by the prime directive, I thought that was just stupid. It didn't get any better.
    Indeed! Came across as a totally stupid reason just to have the Enterprise underwater for a contrived special effect. No need for it to come down out of orbit at all, infact by doing so it was creating more of a risk... Very stupid, and summed up the approach to the film and audience.
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    There's things you might not know about the Trek reboot.
    For example that staff that Nero killed the USS Kelvins Captain with was a Debrune staff held by the 24th century Romulan Preator, who Nero also killed.
    Nero's ship the Narada was originally a mining ship which he enhanced with Borg technology stolen from a Tal Shiar facility in the chaos following Romulos destruction giving it a twisted shape.
    Nero and his crews bald heads and tattoos were done after the destruction of Romulos.
    The USS Kelvin survivors took scans of the Narada, it's tech and database back to the Federation, the Klingons captured the ship after the Kelvin crippled it and held it for many years and there's technology which suggests starfleet are using the information such as the android cop that arrested Kirk, he may be a Soong type android.
    The starfleet facility blown up at the start of the second film was a section 31 facility called the Kelvin archives, they may have learned a few things which included the location of the botany bay.

The third film should focus on the foreshadowed Klingon war or maybe bring back the Borg like have the Enterprise on a classified mission to Guinans homeworld during the invasion.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The Fast & Furious Franchise's Justin Lin is set to direct and now Simon Pegg(Scotty) has been hired to work on the script, as well. Having Pegg involved with the creative aspect is a definite plus as he's a Trek fan and great writer, even if he is more known for comedy, but I'm not too sure about Lin. I suppose the recent F&F films were the best of that particular franchise, but that's not saying much. Everyone deserves the opportunity to show their different creative possibilities, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and still hope for the best.

In related news, I've never been a huge Trek fan. I watched TNG quite a bit in the nineties, have seen all of the feature films, a few episodes of TOS, and loved Abrams' reboot, but I'm currently about 1/4 of my way through TOS on Instant Netflix and I'm LOVING it. It definitely has some negative aspects and of course some dated issues, but overall I can certainly see why it's considered the classic that it is today. Fantastic entertainment. I'll also soon be healing from an operation, so I plan on about 1-2 weeks of TOS marathon.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    In related news, I've never been a huge Trek fan. I watched TNG quite a bit in the nineties, have seen all of the feature films, a few episodes of TOS, and loved Abrams' reboot, but I'm currently about 1/4 of my way through TOS on Instant Netflix and I'm LOVING it. It definitely has some negative aspects and of course some dated issues, but overall I can certainly see why it's considered the classic that it is today. Fantastic entertainment. I'll also soon be healing from an operation, so I plan on about 1-2 weeks of TOS marathon.
    I did not grow up a trekkie, I was converted in my 20's. But I love it.

Also, comedy and scifi may have a lot in common. Both feature, hrm, shall we say cerebral aspects to tell their tale. Both comedy and science fiction use allegories to get their point across. So Simon Pegg might not be that far off. Also, having a trekkie on board is worth a lot, considering JJ wasn't really one...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The Fast & Furious Franchise's Justin Lin is set to direct and now Simon Pegg(Scotty) has been hired to work on the script, as well. Having Pegg involved with the creative aspect is a definite plus as he's a Trek fan and great writer, even if he is more known for comedy, but I'm not too sure about Lin. I suppose the recent F&F films were the best of that particular franchise, but that's not saying much. Everyone deserves the opportunity to show their different creative possibilities, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and still hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I did not grow up a trekkie, I was converted in my 20's. But I love it.

Also, comedy and scifi may have a lot in common. Both feature, hrm, shall we say cerebral aspects to tell their tale. Both comedy and science fiction use allegories to get their point across. So Simon Pegg might not be that far off. Also, having a trekkie on board is worth a lot, considering JJ wasn't really one...
    Agreed with both posts. Most hopeful Trek related thing I've heard in awhile. Grew up on TOS, was big fan from TNG on, interest waned after Voyager ended, couldn't get on with Enterprise.

I like Abrams' stuff, but just didn't feel like he was a good fit & didn't care for his version. Kinda sad they they're continuing his version on, but what else could ya do at this point? (Except may launch a new series, which could be cool, if they didn't give it the BSG treatment...)

Administrator

England
    I must say I prefer "edgy" to "cheesy". ie: I prefer a slightly more serious approach to Star Trek than tongue in cheek. eg: I far prefer Wrath Of Kahn and Search For Spock over The Voyage Home.

So hoping the next one is intelligent and edgy, rather than cheesy.
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I must say I prefer "edgy" to "cheesy". ie: I prefer a slightly more serious approach to Star Trek than tongue in cheek. eg: I far prefer Wrath Of Kahn and Search For Spock over The Voyage Home.

So hoping the next one is intelligent and edgy, rather than cheesy.
    Well, yeah, I think that goes without saying.

I imagine that as TOS movies progressed, as audiences responded to humor elements that encouraged the studio to interject more (a la the ANOES series), coupled with the advancing age of the cast, meaning you start cutting back on the action & intensity & explore other angles.

Cutting the cheese () seems to have been at least one lesson studios have learned in reboots/remakes. Despite numerous other issues, the TCM, F13th, ANOES, etc reboots at least did return to more serious roots.

Same w/ Trek, although TBH, the 1st one at least (& what I hear of the 2nd) was somewhat soulless in a way. It just didn't capture the spirit of what made ST special (for me). That coupled w/ a script that was just daft beyond daft IMO. So those would be the elements I'd hope they'd fix.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Moon- as I said earlier in the thread, I've been running a marathon of TOS and you seem to be a big fan of Trek.....have you watched TOS on Netflix? After awhile it dawned on me that the special effects shots of the Enterprise and planets looked AMAZING for a fifty year old show. TOO good, in fact. After a quick google search I discovered that they used CGI when remastering the show for HD?!? It doesn't necessarily ruin the impact of the series, but it's a bit disappointing that they didn't use the original effects. It must be very frustrating for hardcore fans.

That minor gripe aside, I'm extremely happy that I watched the series. It's definitely made me more of a trek fan. Classic entertainment. I'm currently in the third and final season and I've read Roddenberry lost interest at this point and the series suffered into a "monster of the week" formula, so that's a bit of a bummer, but still great science fiction.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Season 3 was not only about Roddenberry losing interest, but yeah he did want to move on. But not necessarily because of the show itself, but rather because of the Studio.

The show was initially cancelled after season 2, but after a massive fan letter campaign it got picked up for a Season 3. But Roddenberry, having already accepted defeat, had moved on - which is understandeable. He did never stop "loving" star trek, but the studio sure stopped loving him.

After TOS, Roddenberry was kept on as an executive producer of TNG, but apart from Season 1 - which is the worst of the bunch - he was kept as much out of the loop as possible.
    The same goes for the movies. He had sway and influence over the first film (which I really like, by the way), but after that bombed he was only kept around because his contract stated he had too. He had little to now creative control over anything in Star Trek 2-6. Instead, producer Harve Bennett was hired from Paramounts television division and brought in. Harve Bennett, coming from the TV lot, was used to working with a tight budget and so he managed to produce some fairly high quality movies with a very small budget. Just look at Wrath of Khan. That film is an excellent piece of work. But there's hardly more than a handful sets, and much of the action takes place on either Kirk's bridge or Khan's bridge - both of which are the same set.