Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Trek 3 (film) - Shatner's return

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Uggh, Shatner. He's only fun for comedic purposes, and I actually like the new films to date, so hopefully just a cameo.
    Agreed, in fact, the only thing worse than this would be if they said that they
    had replaced Shatner with Hasselhoff

The chap has run his course, now let him retire with the dignity that remains at least??

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Moon- as I said earlier in the thread, I've been running a marathon of TOS and you seem to be a big fan of Trek.....have you watched TOS on Netflix? After awhile it dawned on me that the special effects shots of the Enterprise and planets looked AMAZING for a fifty year old show. TOO good, in fact. After a quick google search I discovered that they used CGI when remastering the show for HD?!? It doesn't necessarily ruin the impact of the series, but it's a bit disappointing that they didn't use the original effects. It must be very frustrating for hardcore fans.

That minor gripe aside, I'm extremely happy that I watched the series. It's definitely made me more of a trek fan. Classic entertainment. I'm currently in the third and final season and I've read Roddenberry lost interest at this point and the series suffered into a "monster of the week" formula, so that's a bit of a bummer, but still great science fiction.
    Yeah, they did a complete revamp of TOS for it's "Special Edition" run on Sci-Fi (back when it was actually spelled that way...). Special Editions were all the vogue at that time (Thank you King George/Ep.IV-VI "Special Editions"...)

In any case, yeah, I was a major Trek fan. Grew up w/ TOS. Watched STNG, DS9 & Voyager faithfully (all of which got off to somewhat uneven starts, but got good after season 2-3 in varying degrees, STNG particularly). Couldn't get into Enterprise. Didn't like the reboot film.

But TOS will always have a special place in my heart.

Ireland
    Never really liked Star Trek that much, but I do have a place for the original 60's show, who's repeats were on TV, for what felt like every night of the week, when I was growing up.

Like you Bassy, I watched the re-vamped series, but I was actually surprised at how well the computer animation melded with the film work.

The show is camp twaddle for the most part, if I'm honest, but there is something brilliant about the three lads, Kirk, Spock and McCoy, that just works terribly well. The banter between Spock and McCoy, alone, makes it worth watching the show.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead
    The banter between Spock and McCoy, alone, makes it worth watching the show.
    Regardless of the final outcome of the new series, this is one thing I thought they got down perfectly. The banter between Kirk and Bones was great. Karl Urban as McCoy was a great bit of casting as well.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Regardless of the final outcome of the new series, this is one thing I thought they got down perfectly. The banter between Kirk and Bones was great. Karl Urban as McCoy was a great bit of casting as well.
    Karl Urban's turn as McCoy was fantastic. The only thing that I actually enjoyed about the reboot. It was like he was channeling DeForest Kelly it was that damn good.