Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Ghostbusters reboot (film) - Female cast

Administrator

England
    My daughter went last night with a friend's family. There were supposedly only about 20 people in the cinema, and "the dad" fell asleep half way though...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Well, we're in week three, most theaters have dropped it and it hasn't even made back the production budget. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying this. As a fan, I should be bummed and in ways I am. I'm bummed the franchise will be buried for another 30 years and that they didn't listen to us, but they so deserve it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    It might just be me, but it not getting it's budget back is to me more of a sign of it having to big of a budget.
    It's a sensational action comedy first and foremost. The closest thing I can compare it too (without having seen it) would be something like Zombieland, which had not even a fifth of this films budget, but made a big profit because it was a low budget production.

The same goes for the Star Trek film. It's got a budget of 185 million, with marketing on top of that. It's not going to make that back. I knew that from the start.
    Either I'm just good at speculating potential spending to income ratios, or they know something I don't (which clearly must be the case), such as toys, merchandise and other marketing ploys covering the gap in income and spendings.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 31-Jul-2016 at 02:58 PM. Reason: dasds

United States
    Yeah, it was a big budget but they screwed the pooch when they told the fanboys to go f themselves. This is GB. The second most recognized insignia in the world behind the Superman S. It could have been big. Jurassic World or Star Wars numbers had it been done correctly. But this is what you get when you green light a project based on people's ego's and not marketing data. Die GB16, die.
    Last edited by Trancelikestate; 31-Jul-2016 at 06:22 PM. Reason: ...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Everyone I've met who's seen it has loved it.

I have not seen it, but then again I haven't seen anything except Star Trek this summer.

United States
    I cannot say the same. I've heard mediocre at best. But, now Sony is facing up to a one hundred million dollar loss. Yeah, this is what Harold would have wanted.
    Last edited by Trancelikestate; 13-Aug-2016 at 09:14 PM. Reason: ....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    When they valuated the worth of that franchise they were really way off...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trancelikestate View Post
    I cannot say the same. I've heard mediocre at best. But, now Sony is facing up to a one hundred million dollar loss. Yeah, this is what Harold would have wanted.
    The mention of the late Harold Ramis made me think of this great article from his daughter regarding his passing, the original, the reboot, and the fans...

http://splitsider.com/2016/07/on-my-...ation-of-fans/

As much as I wanted to stomp my foot and align myself with the opposition, there was no way I could stand behind the viciousness and ugliness that seemed to fuel these fundamentalists. From flat-out rejection of women as funny, to remarks about the actors’ looks, to the invocation of GB84 as ‘untouchable’ and disgust with ‘reboot culture’ generally, I was shocked by the anger and outrage. Are these people for real? I wondered. Sure, the timing sucks, but damn! I mourn my dad’s absence in this world as much, if not more, than anyone, but for people to say that he is “rolling in his grave” or would never have let a female-centered cast happen is INSANE. In his personal life, Harold Ramis was a kind, generous, and gracious person. Professionally, he was always about sharing the spotlight and making the other guy look good. Please, stop using my dad as an excuse to hate the new Ghostbusters. It degrades his memory to spew bile in his name.

United States
    I'm familiar with the article. Just watching his past interviews and knowing his body of work is why I say honestly and without strife that I seriously doubt he'd have been into this project.