Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters reboot (film) - Female cast

United States
    What's being discussed makes the Phantom Menace look like the Shawshank Redemption.

EDIT: Trailer leaked already!!

Seriously though, it doesn't even sound slightly realistic anymore. Poor Harold.

England
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States

The Anti-Estrogen Brigade has struck again!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm not opposed to female ghostbusters at all, but an ALL female team? Too gimmick-y. And a TOTAL reboot? To hell with that. Even with the tragic passing of Ramis and Murray's reluctance to participate in another entry, they could still do the "passing of the torch" film that they've talked about for years. Even if Stantz(Aykroyd) and Zeddemore(Hudson) are the only two that make appearances. It could still be the origin story that Feig seems set on.

But as others have said, hopefully the whole thing will know what it's like to be roasted in the depths of a sloar....
    Last edited by bassman; 13-Oct-2014 at 12:24 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    I thought this was interesting.

Gillian Anderson showing interest to participate, sounds like fun if they move away from the reboot aspect. I was sure you benighted souls would be interested, if only for the opportunity to tear down a female actress.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I thought this was interesting.

Gillian Anderson showing interest to participate, sounds like fun if they move away from the reboot aspect. I was sure you benighted souls would be interested, if only for the opportunity to tear down a female actress.
    I would take Gillian Anderson in anything. Especially my bed.

United States
    There's so many rumors abound it makes my head spin. I might go so far as to say this is the most anticipated, rumor centered film in history.

One more thing, GB3 already exists. It's called the video game.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm not opposed to female ghostbusters at all, but an ALL female team? Too gimmick-y. And a TOTAL reboot? To hell with that.
    Why must an all-male lead be Ok but an all-female lead be gimmicky? I have serious problems with that statement.
    Not until this film, and more like it, get released will people stop looking at films with all female lead casts as "gimmicky". That's insulting, I think.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Why must an all-male lead be Ok but an all-female lead be gimmicky?
    Good point, Ned. I'm sure people will come up with all sorts of reasons, but I wager they'll ring pretty hollow.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Sorry, but when you make switch like that & go out of your way to announce it, that reeks of "gimmick". Stunt casting for PR purposes is a long standing practice. They could have said "we're going to make them all kids, & add a funny talking dog!" while they were at it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    You only think that because the norm is all male leads. Unfortunately, we live in a world where this kind of news would be reported as gimmicky wether intended or not.

Half of the population is female. Take a step back and look at it from the outside - This is NOT anymore gimmicky than an all male lead, and if you think so then you're part of the problem.

United States
    You only think that because the norm is all male leads. Unfortunately, we live in a world where this kind of news would be reported as gimmicky wether intended or not.

Half of the population is female. Take a step back and look at it from the outside - This is NOT anymore gimmicky than an all male lead, and if you think so then you're part of the problem.
    You crack me up.

I suppose if someone were just announced as the writer or director of a rebbot of, say, "Sister Act" or "Fried Green Tomatoes" & said "we're going to do it with an all MALE cast", that wouldn't strike you ask being any more gimicky than this?

If they'd sat down, come up with a list of actors & actresses they wanted to work with, eliminated down to 4 through auditions, or casting, or checking who was available, etc, & ended up at 4 females I wouldn't think it was a gimick. To change things & "shake it up" just for the purposes of doing it? On an established project known for its central characters? And make sure to announce it? Sounds like typical Hollywood stunt casting to me. And as noted earlier, the whole thing could be one big stunt anyway, just to create more hype.

And if you think I'm part of the problem? I really don't care.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trancelikestate View Post
    One more thing, GB3 already exists. It's called the video game.
    Right on! That's my take on it. The original crew, tied to the original films, and a damn good story. Of course not to forget, funny to boot.

Why must an all-male lead be Ok but an all-female lead be gimmicky? I have serious problems with that statement.
    Not until this film, and more like it, get released will people stop looking at films with all female lead casts as "gimmicky". That's insulting, I think.
    That statement was insulting? So now you're going to try to play the sexist card?

As I clearly stated in that post, I'm not opposed to female ghostbusters at all. In fact, I welcome it. But yes, to take away the original story, take away the remaining cast and crew, and then say "ah shit....we know this is doomed to fail, but we need to catch their attention! We need headlines to test the waters. I know..let's make a point of saying it will be all women!!" that DOES come across as a gimmick. I don't care if it's women, panda bears, or the Keebler Elves....it would still be a gimmick being used only because they can't get the cooperation of Murray and know that it's destined to fail.

It has nothing to do with the sex of the cast they plan on putting together, but more about how they've made a point to address it on a large platform this early in the game. THAT is a gimmick to get attention. I'm not sexist at all. Hell, when it comes to women in film, To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my all-time favorite flicks and it's told from the perspective of a woman...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    "i'm not racist - but..."

Sorry, we're all sexist. I'm just pointing out that you thought an all female cast was gimmicky. Yeah, that is insulting, but rather than go "Hmm I guess you're right" you're trying to rationalize that statement.

People are fed up with feminism because the all-male norm permeates every facet of our society. It sucks, but its the truth. Whenever anyone ever speaks of sexism, try this... Replace the word with racism. Not as comfortable now, right? But the wordt part is, Sexism is socially acceptible. Racism isn't. So don't try to judge a film on the sex of it's cast, because you wouldn't judge it by the color of the actors' skin.

Super Moderator

UK
    The most important thing is good characters (with a good script!) regardless of their gender. I think a reason why this "all female Ghostbusters!" thing can seem somewhat of a "gimmick" is because of the amount of noise it's created in the media - whether intended or not by Feig, Sony et al - in a sort of "look at me, look at me!" manner. Perhaps the fluster also shows up, to a degree, in wider society how an all female line up can still boil some blood around the world (silly, really).

I think it's also partly down to Ghostbusters - as a franchise, a property, a beloved cultural landmark - being so keenly identified with those four specific guys. They're the creators of the franchise which essentially started and stopped with them for the last 30 years. You'd have had total nerd rage if they'd said they were keeping the four main characters - Peter, Ray, Egon, Winston - but were re-casting them with new actors (perhaps some hunky 90210 beefcake types).

For some people out there - in the world in general - I'm certain that the gender of the proposed four new 'busters (we know nothing else of their characters, or final cast count, or if it actually will be all-female) is their specific beef. For others it'll be part of their beef, but I'm also certain that for some people the issue is really about it not being those four guys (not that it'd even be physically possible these days, sadly).

There's various shades to this issue.

Flipping from all male to all female feels binary. If anything it feels like a step behind where we actually need to be - which is equality - why not half male and half female with their relationship to each other defined by their work place and their field of work, and not by their jiggly bits?