Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters reboot (film) - Female cast

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It has nothing to do with the sex of the cast they plan on putting together, but more about how they've made a point to address it on a large platform this early in the game. THAT is a gimmick to get attention.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    "i'm not racist - but..."

Sorry, we're all sexist. I'm just pointing out that you thought an all female cast was gimmicky. Yeah, that is insulting, but rather than go "Hmm I guess you're right" you're trying to rationalize that statement.

People are fed up with feminism because the all-male norm permeates every facet of our society. It sucks, but its the truth. Whenever anyone ever speaks of sexism, try this... Replace the word with racism. Not as comfortable now, right? But the wordt part is, Sexism is socially acceptible. Racism isn't. So don't try to judge a film on the sex of it's cast, because you wouldn't judge it by the color of the actors' skin.
    So far you seem to be the only one insulted, because you're looking to be, as usual. You're taking insult where none is being offered, because you choose to read what you want into posts, as usual. Maybe no one is agreeing because they DON'T think you're right.

Note how you conveniently choose to blithely ignore the points raised.

More morally superior & reactionary posts from Ned. What a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The most important thing is good characters (with a good script!) regardless of their gender. I think a reason why this "all female Ghostbusters!" thing can seem somewhat of a "gimmick" is because of the amount of noise it's created in the media - whether intended or not by Feig, Sony et al - in a sort of "look at me, look at me!" manner. Perhaps the fluster also shows up, to a degree, in wider society how an all female line up can still boil some blood around the world (silly, really).

I think it's also partly down to Ghostbusters - as a franchise, a property, a beloved cultural landmark - being so keenly identified with those four specific guys. They're the creators of the franchise which essentially started and stopped with them for the last 30 years. You'd have had total nerd rage if they'd said they were keeping the four main characters - Peter, Ray, Egon, Winston - but were re-casting them with new actors (perhaps some hunky 90210 beefcake types).

For some people out there - in the world in general - I'm certain that the gender of the proposed four new 'busters (we know nothing else of their characters, or final cast count, or if it actually will be all-female) is their specific beef. For others it'll be part of their beef, but I'm also certain that for some people the issue is really about it not being those four guys (not that it'd even be physically possible these days, sadly).

There's various shades to this issue.

Flipping from all male to all female feels binary. If anything it feels like a step behind where we actually need to be - which is equality - why not half male and half female with their relationship to each other defined by their work place and their field of work, and not by their jiggly bits?
    Nailed it, as usual.

Now excuse me, I have to get back to work on my reboot of "The Vagina Monologues" with the cast of "The Expendables".
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 17-Oct-2014 at 03:50 PM. Reason: .

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I would take Gillian Anderson in anything. Especially my bed.
    If she gets "slimed" in this movie, I will go and see it.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

UK
    Just to say to folks - let's not allow this thread to get overheated ... play nice everyone.

Now excuse me, I have to get back to work on my reboot of "The Vagina Monologues" with the cast of "The Expendables".

I just had a vision of Stallone mumbling his way through a chapter on his first wet dream and doing that wail/scream thing he does when he gets really mad in movies.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    If she gets "slimed" in this movie, I will go and see it.
    Prevert.

England
    Prevert.

(deliberate Dr Strangelove reference there?)
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post

(deliberate Dr Strangelove reference there?)
    Who, me?

England
    Who, me?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

Flipping from all male to all female feels binary. If anything it feels like a step behind where we actually need to be - which is equality - why not half male and half female with their relationship to each other defined by their work place and their field of work, and not by their jiggly bits?
    The final destination is equality. And not in a Ghostbusters movie, I don't really care about one movie (but I do care about what a big issue it becomes when you swap the cast). But let me take a moment to answer that one argument of yours - Equality.

We're not an equal country. If you look at wages, women represented in politics, womens rights' and women represented on the boards of big companies, this all becomes to apparent. Giving women an "affirmative action" now and then is required because men get that treatment all the time, no matter what you do. But we men get it without a fuzz, without a news articlem without headlines. We get it because we're men.

So therefore, equality - straight down the line - doesn,t work as a means to achieving awareness to what big problems we as a society have. This is a perfect example. An all-male cast? Nobody bats an eye. An all-female cast? No wait, that's gimmicky.

In a perfect world, we would be able to have all manner of casts without anyone batting an eye. But this is not a perfect world. In the end, that's where we hope to end up. But we're not there yet and not by a long shot. We have to force our society to accept a reality where women can take an equal part in our media and politics, because that's the only way people are going to get used to it. And that's what it's all about now, getting people used to the idea that women can do things too.

Also, MoonSylver, if you haven't noticed I don't respond to your posts. The reason is I just don't read them. Your way of arguing is way to belittling unto others.

United States
    Also, MoonSylver, if you haven't noticed I don't respond to your posts. The reason is I just don't read them. Your way of arguing is way to belittling unto others.
    I'll have to stop reading yours too then, as oddly they illicit the exact same response.

Ireland
    The final destination is equality....
    In fairness, cynical hollywood moves to garner profit for their (increasingly worsening) product has absolutely nothing to do with equality for women.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Created a new topic aimed at discussing feminism in particular, so we don't bog this topic down more:

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...405#post308405

Super Moderator

UK
    "Positive Discrimination" is still discrimination. Perhaps it's naive or fanciful at this point in our society's development to feel this way, but I don't agree with "positive discrimination" because it's still a form of discrimination and isn't a fair or level playing field. There's absolutely unfair levels of pay etc and that absolutely must be fixed ... the methods/style of getting there is where we seem to differ somewhat.

With something as relatively light and straight forward as a movie though, surely we can skip right to the point where we need to be - equality - rather than going through earlier steps that, unfortunately, seem to be required to gradually turn society around. But, when it comes to our culture, why not go right to the end point goal with something like a movie, if that makes sense?

Of course, there'll also always - and rightfully - be a call for the Bridesmaids and Expendables of the movie/TV world. What's right and true for the story being told ... but that's a whole other thing that could be discussed at length.

United States
    Appreciate Ned putting a fork in the road. Back on topic. All has been quiet on the rumor front. It's a nice tranquility. Further elaborating on my previous statement about the video game: It really is part 3. It ties the stories from the first two movies together whilst successfully passing the torch to a new generation. If they acknowledged it as canon and did a 4th story involving all new people it would make sense. The game is funny and makes me laugh even still. I usually replay it about as much as I'd rewatch a movie. One thing to point out is the actors were never in the studio recording their voices together so no actual charisma took place like the popular ad libbing that occurred in the originals. And speaking of that, do we really expect the same type of charisma from ANY new project? I know I and Bass don't.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    "Positive Discrimination" is still discrimination. Perhaps it's naive or fanciful at this point in our society's development to feel this way, but I don't agree with "positive discrimination" because it's still a form of discrimination and isn't a fair or level playing field. There's absolutely unfair levels of pay etc and that absolutely must be fixed ... the methods/style of getting there is where we seem to differ somewhat.
    Responded in the thread. But basicly: YOU recieve positive discrimination all the time, sp why deny them?

Super Moderator

UK
    Ned - I think I've already covered the essentials of my views on the subject within this thread. From my experience, whether on HPOTD or social media, political threads just end up doing my head in because inevitably it either becomes, or starts out as, two brick walls not moving in any direction. What's the point?

I think our views on the hows and wherefores of the issue are somewhat different with the same goal in mind.

My mother was educated and worked during the 60s and 70s, when the imbalance was stark. Then, as now, as she's told me herself numerous times, if she was offered positive discrimination she'd reject it because she just wanted a level playing field - she continues to strongly believe in that principle to this day. My sister feels exactly the same way in the present day work world: Achievement and advancement earned through her own merit and not based on her gender, and it's working out well for her. That's where I got my view on the matter of "positive" discrimination. Discrimination is discrimination.

There's really very little, or perhaps nothing else, that I have to say on the matter. I'll respectfully leave it at that.

Back to Ghostbusters specifically - yep - the videogame was the real Ghostbusters 3. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was such a fun time to strap on a proton pack and go bust some ghosts, wrestling them into the traps, revisiting locations from the movies - such a good time!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 19-Oct-2014 at 11:21 AM.