Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters reboot (film) - Female cast

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    MZ, super short answer here regarding your family or mom:

1) She shouldn't have to be fighting an uphill battle because of how she was Born.
    2) Think how far she might've come had the playing field been level.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    MZ, super short answer here regarding your family or mom:

1) She shouldn't have to be fighting an uphill battle because of how she was Born.
    2) Think how far she might've come had the playing field been level.
    And a super short response in kind.

1a) My Mum's experience in the work place and my Sister's experience in the work place are different, in that things (in work and wider society) have improved generally from one to the other over time.
    1b) I agree. You shouldn't have to fight an uphill battle because you were born female. This said, at least in my sister's case (and seemingly for her female collegues in her peer group), her gender hasn't be an impediment to her career advancement.
    2) Neither my Mum nor my Sister have wanted, or would want, to advance on the basis of bias in their favour specifically because of their gender. Doing so wouldn't be a level playing field, it'd be a playing field tipped in the other direction - fighting bias with bias, or discrimination with discrimination, isn't the answer in their view or my view. I think there are more creative, fair, and balanced ways of achieving the end goal of equality, than essentially repeating the same mistake on the other side of the coin. I can understand the viewpoint, and see that it could work in some ways, but I don't agree with the method, and we both have the same goal in mind.

Shall we consider this particular discussion exhausted?

Back to Ghostbusters - did anyone see the 30th Anniversary release trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQCCPP8aZBY

Seeing a movie I'm so familiar with, from the 1980s, summed up via 'present day' trailer editing techniques really shows up just how shitty most modern day trailers are. Ugh ... although GB is so great that it can still shine through such a terrible trailer.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The point is not exhausted, as You missed the point. but you did so partly thanks to my short outlying of said point. I'll respond to this in the other thread if for no other reason than to make a definite end in this thread. Suffice to say, I equal Sexism to Racism, and sexism goes far, far deeper than just objectifying women. The point of Sexism and Equality is not exhausted until we have all recognized it's existance.

Edit: just to be clear, i mean i wasnt very clear or elaborate. Which was my fault.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 20-Oct-2014 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Dddd

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Official release date and strongly-rumored cast: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/line...lease-date-137

July 22, 2016. A day which I'm betting will go down as one of cinematic history's most face-palming moments.

I actually like the choice of Wiig and McKinnon(both former SNL members, much like Aykroyd and Murray, coincidentally), but McCarthy is a bit single-noted for my taste. I don't believe I know the other cast member's work. Even with a fantastic cast, I still have a hard time seeing this being successful critically. It most likely will be successful financially, but that could be just because of the name "Ghostbusters"....
    Last edited by bassman; 28-Jan-2015 at 12:50 PM. Reason: .

United States
    I still don't think it's happening. The amount of hate being expressed over social media is overwhelming and I'm surprised it hasn't gone as far as death threats and all that non sense. It'll be successful BECAUSE of all the hate but again, I still think it's a publicity stunt.

Bad as this news was at least we're not Fantastic Four fans.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trancelikestate View Post
    Bad as this news was at least we're not Fantastic Four fans.

New FF reboot will make last FF movies look like "The Avengers" in comparison, & will =

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    This reboot is such a terrible idea. I'm a big fan of the first two movies but I feel it's best to let this series rest in peace. Only good I see coming from this is perhaps GB2 will finally be more respected. I guess I'm in the minority but I always loved GB2 and while I'd never argue it being better than the first, I find it's just as entertaining.

Super Moderator

UK
    It's interesting that they're going to do an "all male" Ghostbusters movie (apparently starring Channing Tatum), which just reinforces my view that this "all female" idea is a step behind where we actually need to be - can't we have a cast that has willies and fannies? Grow up, Hollywood!

I don't envy anyone involved in the new Ghostbusters at all - having to step up to the plate left by the first two (especially the first one), and thirty years of entrenched fan love for the franchise ... that's a daunting task.

Shadow Master - yeah, I love GB2. Ghostbusters - including the sequel and the cartoon show - was my Star Wars. I can see that, arguably, GB2 isn't as good as GB1, and that it copies the first in many ways (versions of similar scenes or ideas from the first), but then again it's copying parts from a perfect movie, so if you're going to be close to something, be close to something excellent. For me though, GB1 and 2 are always a pair ... I love them both.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Me too, I find I always watch them together They feel incomplete if one isn't watched without the other. A great duo. And to me it's always better to have one good sequel than a bunch of bad ones, so if not getting GB3 and beyond spared us from some poor sequels I'm fine with that.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As has been said before, as far as I'm concerned, the original crew ended off a perfect trilogy before Ramis' passing. GB:The Video Game was a perfect third movie that tied everything together, so I'll forever feel lucky that we finally got a rounded out story. Even if the final entry was in CGI/Video Game form.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    As has been said before, as far as I'm concerned, the original crew ended off a perfect trilogy before Ramis' passing. GB:The Video Game was a perfect third movie that tied everything together, so I'll forever feel lucky that we finally got a rounded out story. Even if the final entry was in CGI/Video Game form.
    Agreed! I loved the videogame. I'd quite like to give it another spin, but I sold my copy a while back when the trade-in price suddenly jumped way up.

It was insanely satisfying to blast a ghost and wrestle them down into the trap!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Of course you all know I'm a massive Ghostbusters fan, so i'm perfectly aware that I'm biased, buuuuuut.....I just threw up in my mouth a little....

CIv_SQ1W8AAhXe1.jpg

1Gt9Kon.jpg
    Last edited by bassman; 01-Jul-2015 at 04:14 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Why the stripes? Bit of a weird choice, isn't it?

Naturally - as Ghostbusters was my Star Wars - I'm not a fan of the new proton pack either.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Ticking all the hollywood by-the-numbers boxes.

This is going to suck so badly.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....