Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TWD 5x01 "No Sanctuary" episode discussion (Season 5 Premiere)... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

United States

TWD 5x01 "No Sanctuary" episode discussion (Season 5 Premiere)... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Really, MZ? Really?!

Someone is losing a step after their surgery.

Please keep all talk of episode 5x1 "No Sanctuary" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

The true motives of the Terminans come to light when Rick and the others end up in a vulnerable situation.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Holy shit I am impressed. Best season open since season 1. Abso freaking lutely intense.

United States
    Welcome back Walking Dead. Way to start the season with a bang.

United States
    Now THAT was an episode! Also, Snake Eyes, er, Morgan!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Now THAT was an episode! Also, Snake Eyes, er, Morgan!
    Amen for Morgan and quick shout out to Carol, who absolutely dominated. The way she handled that bitch, Mary was beautiful. The reaction from Morgan regarding the mark carved into the tree......was that the symbol he used in chalk to illustrate the destruction of Ricks house?

United States
    I thought he was tracking the X-Men?

Undisclosed
    An absolutely fantastic episode! Now I know why this is my favorite show. This episode was worth the six to seven months we had to wait for it. My dvr is calling. I HAVE to watch it again!!

Super Moderator

UK
    Aces - I know, right?! I just realised mid-episode that I'd forgotten to put up the thread for it, dangit! I'll be on point for next week though, mark my words!

Excellent season opener - really delivered with plenty of fist-in-the-air moments, awesome kills, general badassery from Rick, Carol, Tyreese (primarily) and everyone else ... super dark at times (wow, the Termites had a rough time of it, eh ... but that's no excuse - burn them all!!! )

Really got my jazzed for the new season. Pretty pumped up right now ... will have to let it settle in my mind for a couple of hours and then I'll lay out some more thoughts. Very happy with 5x01!

United States
    yes. that was the type of episode i wish there were more of.....a much better start than the last few seasons, i'd agree. although i still think rosita, eugene and abraham are almost too goofy for the established tone of the show, i am pretty optimistic about this season based on what we've seen from the premiere.

i also noticed that they changed the opening credits again, but i think i like this version the best so far.....those last few shots of the woods at sunset, the map, and that haunting image of the lone walker in the field (from the "eighteen miles out" episode) really work well with the music and actually made me glad TWD is back on, hopefully with this season more evenly paced and carefully laid out than the last couple seasons.

England
    What an episode. That opening was chilling.
    Badass Tyrese.
    I wanna see Gareth get his throat slit. The SOB
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Fantastic season premiere. Loved the brutality of it all and seeing Carol go into Arnold/Predator mode was pretty damn cool. Definitely stepped her character up a few notches and makes me think they may be grooming her to sort of take over the badass Andrea role from the comics. Seeing how they basically massacred Andrea for the show compared to the comic.

Loved, loved, LOVED the post-credits sequence. This show will definitely benefit from having more Morgan. For my money, and even with limited screen time, Lennie James has been the best actor on the show.

Of course we haven't seen the last of the cannibals. With the tagline for the season being "Hunt or be hunted", I imagine we'll be seeing a certain "tainted meat!" scene in the coming episodes.

Anywho....fantastic opener and hopefully the rest of the season will remain as strong. Between the back half of Season Four and this opening, maybe, just MAYBE, the show has finally found a solid showrunner to pick up where Darabont left off.

Super Moderator

United States
    Yeah, that was an incredible season opener! This is what I'd like to see a bit more of. Sure, we'll need episodes to set up story and frame opposition for the group, delve into some psychodrama, intro new characters now and then etc. etc., but damn they need to keep the prospect of personal horror, action and mayhem at hand with the risk of it errupting just bubbling under the surface.

Very well conceived and executed script.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Loved the brutality of it all and seeing Carol go into Arnold/Predator mode was pretty damn cool.
    I was kind of wondering how much people might bitch about the use of the walker blood and gore element again. I know it rubbed some people the wrong way last time and I almost pictured Shootem or Ned groaning and smacking their foreheads as they watched that scene.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Aces - I know, right?! I just realised mid-episode that I'd forgotten to put up the thread for it, dangit!
    Hey, even the Mona Lisa's falling apart.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I was kind of wondering how much people might bitch about the use of the walker blood and gore element again. I know it rubbed some people the wrong way last time and I almost pictured Shootem or Ned groaning and smacking their foreheads as they watched that scene.
    I've always been of the opinion that the whole "smell" thing was just a theory and the characters were actually just moving along with the walkers because they weren't acting like panicking humans. Think of it as the scene leading to the Winchester in Shaun.

In the case of this episode, Carol was able to walk amongst the walkers because she wasn't acting human, but the smeared guts and mud were actually used to camouflage herself from the Terminans rather than the walkers.

England
    That was some serious action. Carroll was awesome (propane walker kill FTW) and Rick delivers the most brutal shankings ever seen outside of a US super-max!

Backstory snippets to Terminus planting seeds of grudging sympathy (or at least some understanding) as to how they became what they are.

It's back...and verily, it is good! Still trying to absorb this episode...need to watch it again later.

Edit: I wondered what the Hell you folks were on about with all the Morgan chatter...they really shouldn't add final scenes AFTER the "coming next episode" blurb...
    Last edited by Legion2213; 13-Oct-2014 at 02:41 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Carol Peletier, what a transformation. She embodied the weak, defeated spirit of a human being at its lowest. Beaten down daily by Ed, both physically and mentally. And now we have a woman going solo to save the group, leaving a hulk of a man Tyrese, behind. Like a mother hen protecting her flock, she brought the hammer of justice down on the termites. I loved her interaction with that bitch Mary. She didnt take her shit or waste time negotiating, she put a round through her thigh and left her to face the death she deserved. That move put Carol over the top for badassery IMO. She is the jack of all trades and is beyond valuable to the group. And I am not going to admit my eyes dampining when Carol and Daryl reunited.

*A side note on Carol. Now I say this not to hate but just a funny observation. Melissa Mcbride looks unnatural holding and manipulating the rifle in the Mary scene. And actually the fight scene looked rather forced. Not saying Mcbride is a bad actress but its clear fighting and tactical stuff isnt in Mcbride's blood at all and its obvious. But I'm fine with it and accept Carol for the badass she is. And I much prefer her in this role compared to Andrea(sorry Minion).

On to Rick. Rick is my guy and always will be my guy. I see myself in his character that why I relate. Im gonna say something that should bring Wylde out of hiding........Shane was right. Hahahaha. There is no denying that Shane saw the world for what it was faster than the group. I had a hard time accepting his methods but his priority was protecting the group at all and any cost to outsiders. Rick has now become what Shane said he couldnt(not trying to plagerize Talking Dead here) but its the truth. Maybe Rick has even one upped Shane with his idea to line the fence and pick off the Termites as they "dont deserve to live". I think Shane would have been along the belief with Abraham, they escaped lets GTFO and not risk our people. In the name of survival of the group the best course of action probably would be to flee but I like Rick's train of thought. Those sick mother fuckers deserve to be wiped out.