Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWD 5x02 "Strangers" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 5x02 "Strangers" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Please keep all talk of episode 5x02 "Strangers" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by David Boyd, Writtern by Robert Kirkman.
    Get stuck in, folks!

Aces - told you I'd be on point this week.

United States
    Wow, I can't believe that they

nah, I'm just messin' with ya!
    No one is safe now. I wonder who's next?
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 19-Oct-2014 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spoiler

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post

F*ck you sir...f*ck you to death!

(so pumped for this season...each new episode can't come soon enough!)
    Last edited by Legion2213; 19-Oct-2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States

I didn't want to click but dammit I had to! Lol

The group is massive right now. I sense a mass exodus incoming.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post

Fuck you sir...fuck you to death!
    Well, you know

If ya gotta go...

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I didn't want to click but dammit I had to! Lol

The group is massive right now. I sense a mass exodus incoming.
    True, but they

made ya look!

United States
    Well, you know

If ya gotta go...

True, but they

made ya look!
    Now I'm really excited!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Now I'm really excited!
    Way to get into the spirit. I don't think we've seen anything yet though.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that was tasty!

United States
    Damnit I liked Bob. Anyone else think he was bit and hiding it? It almost seemed like he exited the church to possible "opt out". At times you have to wonder how our crew survives as they fear being watched, yet hang out in a candle lit church, and again split up.

Very disgusted in Gareth and his gang of shit. Add to that the writers are torturing us viewers as them sons a bitches consume Bob while he is still alive. I want a slow painful death for Gareth but I fear they may take out more. Ofcourse they have to contend with two of the baddest survivors to date in Michonne and Daryl.

Twitching

United States
    Now as for this thread:

Pardon the following: I WAS RIGHT! I WAS RIGHT!

Team Rick didn't put NEARLY ENOUGH distance between themselves and Terminus before going back into Foraging Mode, and they holed up in the VERY FIRST obviously defensible structure they came across. Not only that, but by not going any farther than they did I'd wager Gareth and his henchmen were well aware of that church's location, and in all probability put it #1 on their list of Places to Look For a Fleeing Team Rick.

As for Bob, this may sound harsh...but given recent events he was all but begging to be the first to fall to the pursuing Terminians. Word had passed among the group that Daryl was convinced they were being watched the first night they camped...they've JUST escaped from a cabal of cannibalistic feral humans...and he goes outside ALONE, AT NIGHT NO LESS to have a good cry!?!? C'MON! If it wasn't Gareth and his cronies it could just as easily have been a Walker.

And as for the Terminians finding Rick & Co....you don't need to be a master tracker to locate people who beeline for the absolute nearest defensible structure that's near the closest small town to Terminus one could forage for supplies in. All Gareth had to do was LOOK AT A MAP, seeing as how they made it so damned easy for him and his.

Yet here's the snippet from the "Scenes from Next Week" that's completely exasperated me:

One of Rick's group, I forget which, states and I quote "That now THREE OF US ARE MISSING!"
    I mean WTF, Bob's disappearance didn't put them on red-alert? Why NOT!?!? I mean, it's not as if there's the teensiest rational cause for Bob's COMPLETE disappearance OTHER THAN foul play. No one who has survived the wipeout of TWO groups would set off alone, in the middle of a dark night, with all that's happened, even IF Bob was intending to leave the group and go his own way. Which is without even getting into the emotional tie between Bob and Sasha.

As for what Team Rick should think of what's happened as soon as they realize Bob's gone: A Walker wouldn't spirit away Bob's body, and there certainly aren't any signs of say a Walker bringing Bob down, feeding off him awhile, and then Bob reanimating to shamble off for parts unknown. You've just given a band of cannibalistic inhuman "people" a REACH-AROUND! What do you THINK happened people!?!?!

All that said, it's eye-rollingly convenient Gareth found them already. On the level of the Governor knowing just where to lie in wait near the Prison Fence to ambush Andrea. Just because they're staying in a building at present doesn't mean there shouldn't have been guards posted. Given that you can't see out of the Church at all, that only INCREASES the likelihood Rick would've posted Sentries.

C'MON, since beginning of Season 3 they've had someone on Walker-watch within FIVE MINUTES of entering a building. That season's premier demonstrated as much, where Daryl immediately took the position at a window that allowed him to watch the outside while the others foraged...which allowed Daryl to sound the alarm when Walkers came shambling up, in turn allowing the group to pile in their vehicles and race away just as the Walkers got there. And that was BEFORE THE PRISON!

It doesn't seem like a writer's-fiat device that this group, given how wary they're being portrayed as currently, had no problems sitting in a boarded-up building where they couldn't see ANYTHING OUTSIDE, and yet failed to post at least one guard?

Just because I saw this coming doesn't mean I wanted the situation handed to Gareth and his henchmen on a silver platter. Which is exactly what the writers did to make Bob's capture with no one inside the wiser. That bugs me. Does it bug anyone else? Or does anyone see any faults with my reasoning? If so, what?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Now as for this thread:

Nah, dude. As Shootem alluded, and as those of us who have read this story arc in the comics can tell you, it was all too likely Gareth and company would come back in the picture. But when I post about this stuff it's from the standpoint of what should be done using some real world logic, not TV plot-hammer logic.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Now as for this thread:

Team Rick didn't put NEARLY ENOUGH distance between themselves and Terminus before going back into Foraging Mode, and they holed up in the VERY FIRST obviously defensible structure they came across. Not only that, but by not going any farther than they did I'd wager Gareth and his henchmen were well aware of that church's location, and in all probability put it #1 on their list of Places to Look For a Fleeing Team Rick.

As for Bob, this may sound harsh...but given recent events he was all but begging to be the first to fall to the pursuing Terminians. Word had passed among the group that Daryl was convinced they were being watched the first night they camped...they've JUST escaped from a cabal of cannibalistic feral humans...and he goes outside ALONE, AT NIGHT NO LESS to have a good cry!?!? C'MON! If it wasn't Gareth and his cronies it could just as easily have been a Walker.

And as for the Terminians finding Rick & Co....you don't need to be a master tracker to locate people who beeline for the absolute nearest defensible structure that's near the closest small town to Terminus one could forage for supplies in. All Gareth had to do was LOOK AT A MAP, seeing as how they made it so damned easy for him and his.

Yet here's the snippet from the "Scenes from Next Week" that's completely exasperated me:

One of Rick's group, I forget which, states and I quote "That now THREE OF US ARE MISSING!"
    I mean WTF, Bob's disappearance didn't put them on red-alert? Why NOT!?!? I mean, it's not as if there's the teensiest rational cause for Bob's COMPLETE disappearance OTHER THAN foul play. No one who has survived the wipeout of TWO groups would set off alone, in the middle of a dark night, with all that's happened, even IF Bob was intending to leave the group and go his own way. Which is without even getting into the emotional tie between Bob and Sasha.

As for what Team Rick should think of what's happened as soon as they realize Bob's gone: A Walker wouldn't spirit away Bob's body, and there certainly aren't any signs of say a Walker bringing Bob down, feeding off him awhile, and then Bob reanimating to shamble off for parts unknown. You've just given a band of cannibalistic inhuman "people" a REACH-AROUND! What do you THINK happened people!?!?!

All that said, it's eye-rollingly convenient Gareth found them already. On the level of the Governor knowing just where to lie in wait near the Prison Fence to ambush Andrea. Just because they're staying in a building at present doesn't mean there shouldn't have been guards posted. Given that you can't see out of the Church at all, that only INCREASES the likelihood Rick would've posted Sentries.

C'MON, since beginning of Season 3 they've had someone on Walker-watch within FIVE MINUTES of entering a building. That season's premier demonstrated as much, where Daryl immediately took the position at a window that allowed him to watch the outside while the others foraged...which allowed Daryl to sound the alarm when Walkers came shambling up, in turn allowing the group to pile in their vehicles and race away just as the Walkers got there. And that was BEFORE THE PRISON!

It doesn't seem like a writer's-fiat device that this group, given how wary they're being portrayed as currently, had no problems sitting in a boarded-up building where they couldn't see ANYTHING OUTSIDE, and yet failed to post at least one guard?

Just because I saw this coming doesn't mean I wanted the situation handed to Gareth and his henchmen on a silver platter. Which is exactly what the writers did to make Bob's capture with no one inside the wiser. That bugs me. Does it bug anyone else? Or does anyone see any faults with my reasoning? If so, what?
    You were right again. I wish I would have jumped in on last weeks discussion that you proposed. I am frustrated how quickly Gareth and crew could be on Ricks heals and you referenced an excellent pint we discussed before, which is the Gov's placement to grab Andrea. It was cheap.

Reference your concern about being 'down 3'. You seem confused that two more are going to get picked off? What they were speaking about was Carol and Daryl's exit. No worries about more wanderers....well only in this case.

I am deeply bothered that our master tracker Daryl can't find a trace of evidence of the hunters. He has proven he is beyond an expert. I hope they don't make the termite hunters skill set beyond believable. Gareth may have evolved but at the end of the day he would be the stay-at-home dad of a soccer mom wife.

It's funny we now have Two churches discovered by our group that were both out in the middle of woods. Remote beyond remote.
    Last edited by facestabber; 20-Oct-2014 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Addition

United States
    Nah, Wlyd it didn't bother me at all. I knew this was coming because of the source material and I loved it. What bothered me was some members still being a bit reckless out in the woods at night and just as I knew, Tyreese did NOT kill that termite. Not cool, bro.

Also, I'm pretty sure Bob was bit, that's why he left the group.

Undisclosed
    I also think Bob may have been bitten. Just by the way he was acting after being attacked. If this is the case, those nasty-assed Termites are eating him. I just wonder if the walker virus can survive the cooking process. It would be great to see those asses get sick and turn. It serves them right.

Super Moderator

UK
    Comics Spoiler:

TAINTED MEAT! TAINTED MEAT! Bob's taken the place of Dale.

It'll be interesting to see how they use that element from "The Hunters" storyline - will Gareth and company start to feel the effects? Will one or more of them turn? Will that thread climax in episode eight for the mid-season finale?

He was totally bitten/scratched/something in the food bank - the look on his face could be read by Sasha as just a bit of fright, but he knew he'd been got. I think he was out there in the woods because he was going to kill himself, but got snatched first.

As for Carol - she saw the car earlier and knew it'd be an escape route for her. Despite being welcomed back into the group, I think she doesn't feel she deserves the acceptance and she was making a run for it - but Daryl followed her. Good thing too, because the kidnap mobile happened by and they both headed after it (good to know, I'd assume anyway, that Beth's part of the season won't be just her isolated from the entirety of the main cast) - and, as others have said, the "there's 3 of us missing" refers to Bob, Daryl, and Carol - the latter two of whom had to act in an instant, they couldn't tell anyone where they were headed.

Another good episode - the food bank scene was proper grim, it was nice to get a chance for our characters to kind of debrief with one another over certain things (e.g. Tara with Rick and Maggie). Having read the comics via the trade paperbacks I've got a pretty good idea of where we're going with some of this - but TWD does change things up from the source text, and their comic-con trailers are notoriously tricksy, so I'll wait and see.

As Aces said - there's assumed 'real world logic', and then there's 'scripted logic', when discussing the elements of the show. Gareth was obviously going to show up because you can't just leave a massive thread like that hanging and unresolved, it'd be piss poor writing if you did that and wouldn't make any sense to do that, so he was gonna come back. We didn't know too much about him, but clearly the Termites are better survivalists than they might have initially presented themselves as. There was always the possibility - but as with so many things TWD, I don't believe it until I see it.

For example - Tyreese didn't kill that guy in the shed - he was there chowing down on "Bob-B-Q" (so they called it on Talking Dead) with Gareth & Co. Unless we see a dead body, I always presume someone's still alive.

Here's a question - Gareth's little talk with Bob - do you think he really believes it, or was he deliberately messing with Bob for some kind of sick pleasure? The guy's clearly nuts in my view - he's relishing what he's doing.

Also, on a cuddlier note, I loved the bit where Judith was burbling baby talk in the church (I presume that was 'in the moment' and the actors just reacted to it and made it part of the scene).

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Lots of direct comic references in this episode. Gimple seems to know how to work those in every few episodes while still keeping it fresh. Rick's "youre not safe" talk with Carl, Father Gabriel, the church looks EXACTLY like the comic(makes sense because they actually constructed it rather than using an existing church in the area), and of course Gareth's talk before they revealed Bob's missing leg. Nearly verbatim to the comic.

Good episode all around. Obviously it was less action packed than the previous, which should be expected, but still enough to keep viewers' blood pumping and wanting more.