Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TWD 5x03 "Four Walls And A Roof" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

United States
    Abraham is a dumb man. Mission oriented must be his coping method to this world. Regardless I wonder if Rick believes the BS Abraham and Eugene are spewing? Rick agreed to go to DC but was it just to stay together. It's not like they had a country club where they were at. When survival is the only day to day goal, do people grasp at any sign of hope? Rick heard Jenners speech at the CDC. I don't think Rick believes the cure. What say you?

United States
    Personally, I wouldnt believe it niether. After all they been through they just can't go back to normal everyday life. There's no way. Rick said it best during his conversation with Bob on the way to the food drive.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Mission oriented must be his coping method to this world.
    Good way of looking at Abraham's motivation, I think.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    Abraham is a dumb man. Mission oriented must be his coping method to this world. Regardless I wonder if Rick believes the BS Abraham and Eugene are spewing? Rick agreed to go to DC but was it just to stay together. It's not like they had a country club where they were at. When survival is the only day to day goal, do people grasp at any sign of hope? Rick heard Jenners speech at the CDC. I don't think Rick believes the cure. What say you?

This is a very good point. Rick and the group have already been at the CDC where they were told straight up by the only man left on the inside, nobody anywhere has any idea of how to cure this. Why would they believe the poorly constructed story of eugenes?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Quite existential, MZ.

D'oh! Although as typo's go, it's not half bad ... will Morgan be with Morgan when Morgan arrives?

There's certainly an element of that, I think - good point - I'll also point out that even though they're friends with Team Rick, they've only known them for a matter of days. Team Rick Proper have known each other for nigh-on two years, there's a huge difference there. Abraham, Rosita, and Eugene have been together as a little unit for a very long time, they've been constantly pursuing their goal, so even though Carol saved their lives, she saved all of their lives - the bulk of the people she saved was Team Rick, and she also had no idea Abraham/Rosita/Eugene/Tara were with them ... so the loyalty issue becomes less firm.

Whether we believe Eugene or not, Abraham and Rosita absolutely do - and their mission is certainly an extremely important one that, if it can work, supercedes everything (as hard-skinned as that may be). We'll see how far they get...

Comic-Con Trailer observation relating to Abraham & Co:

They mustn't get too far because I recognised that white short bus from the trailer:

Quote Originally Posted by zombieparanoia View Post
    This is a very good point. Rick and the group have already been at the CDC where they were told straight up by the only man left on the inside, nobody anywhere has any idea of how to cure this. Why would they believe the poorly constructed story of eugenes?
    To be fair that was also at the very start of the apocalypse. Their communications were unreliable, they don't know if other government installations were more successful both in terms of survival and research. Jenner was also not a brilliant scientist - his wife was, but she died - he was good, but was struggling with figuring it out. Remember his line about how great a loss to mankind the death of his wife was ... whether she could have figured it out or not is something we'll never know, but could there be others like her out there doing just peachy?

However, yes, if I was Rick I'd be extremely sceptical too and more concerned with day-to-day survival. Had Team Rick all been together then they'd all have gone, but they were down three people (plus a fourth in Beth), and this family is the most important thing to Rick. For him that comes first.

It's a good line in the sand between Rick and Abraham, two alpha male leaders in conflict.

United States
    Minion I agree Jenners speech was early on. Ive always believed his praise of his wife was rooted more in a mourning husband. Not saying she wasnt special, but I dont think Jenner is a moron. He had to be capable enough. Now I never liked his speech about fossil fuels and the gov't running out of power etc. But that was his reason for all gov't installations failing and the French being the last to fall. I believe he did say the French were close to solution but how that gets to the US is beyond me. IMO one of the first things the gov't would do would be to send an overwhelming miitary force to nuclear power plants and bogart all its power to critical installations.

Good point on Abraham's exposure to Team Rick. He has only known him for a matter of days so it's understandable that he would rather stay on his belief. Im not happy about Maggie and Glen bailing. It was obvious by the looks on their faces at the Gareth slaughter that they are disturbed at the brutality Team Rick had to dish out. With no communications the reality of ever seeing their family again is slim to none. Despair of the world may have got the best of them and they need to cling to hope of a cure. I understand the hope factor but seperating is just not good mojo. Is Eugene any safer on the road in a smaller group or with a group of certified survivors/badasses?

Ofcourse I will just admit I love everything Maggie and need her alive

United States
    I see what Abraham's true plan was; he took all the hotties with him on the short bus.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    I see what Abraham's true plan was; he took all the hotties with him on the short bus.

Maybe not so dumb after all. Mullet & Flattop FTW.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post

Maybe not so dumb after all. Mullet & Flattop FTW.

UK
    Another great episode, its really is going to be difficult to pick out a favorite from this series.

I was delighted to see the human on human violence allowed to shine here because in previous series they have held off slightly (aside from the claimed group). This wasn't overly graphic and advanced the story so it needs to be shown and it packed a major punch or machete if you will. It was used well on Gareths group and it is great that Joe and Gareth both got iconic deaths because they were great characters.

I know a few have spoken negatively of Abe but I think he is a great character and is good muscle / backup to Rick with Daryl out of the way. Gabriel was also a good addition in my mind, he is obviously messed up but he seems harmless enough and its nice to see a different type of character.

Further to my Tyresse issues, there seemed to be a few hints that he may snap in this episode so I have hope there.

Administrator

England
    Shame Bob's bite was so clearly hinted at last episode. Would have been better if it had come as a proper surprise.

Also shame them eating infected meat came to nout too. Thought they might go out in a suicidal blaze after they started getting ill!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Another good 'un....

The execution of Gareth & co, I think showed how far Rick has deteriorated. They needed to be killed, but the manner in which it was done, I think killed a bit more of Rick's humanity.

(That said, I've also thought they could have just tied them up, & put them in a room with Bob and just waited... that would have been a bit of poetic justice, giving 'Bob' ('Buub') some revenge... eating those who eat him... and as a bonus none of the 'living' would have had to kill the 'living'... Or perhaps that's the kind of sick thing the Governor would have done...)

It would have been interesting too, to see if Gareth & co would have turned having eaten cooked "tainted meat". If cooking it didn't lead to zombification, then it would open up a new & plentiful source of food.

Also loved the shot of Maggie briefly picking up a bible or hymn book/putting it down... combined with later the retort to Gabriel's "This is the house of the Lord"... with the otherwise unfathomable episode title.

A bit worried about Morgan... if he follows the signs Gareth made... he'll either wind up at the Elementary School chock-full of walkers & the 'nearly' broken glass window... or back at Terminus where the dude being cut up at the slaughterhouse in EP.1 looked quite a bit like Rick.

Carol had the right idea in EP.2 to get the hell out. Eugene & Abraham are on a wild goose chase... I know weapons research is on a 'need to know' basis, so the CDC may have been out of the loop, but Abraham... nah. I bet he couldn't tie his own shoelaces.

Good to see Glenn stand up to Rick. Eugene etc did help him reunite with Maggie, so I can understand him leaving Rick & co. Sometimes any plan, however shite, is better than no plan....

Bob was tremendously positive till the end, so on a positive note if Tyresse 'had' killed the chap in the shed (Martin?) then Michonne wouldn't have got her sword back.

A bit out on the limb, but I reckon Darryl brought back snow white and seven dwarfs...

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by zombieparanoia View Post
    The way I saw it, Jenner was approaching the problem from a totally different angle from Eugene. Jenner was CDC, and his mindframe is about stopping the spread of the disease and curing the infected. His conclusion is there's no hope, everyone's already infected. Eugene is coming from a biological warfare perspective: taking for granted that there's no way to cure the disease, he realizes the next best hope is to engineer a biological weapon that's targeted to kill the reanimated. I still think Eugene's full of crap, but it's plausible that they would not have discounted Eugene's theory immediately just because of what Rick heard from Jenner.
    Last edited by Publius; 29-Oct-2014 at 02:50 AM. Reason: typo
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    The way I saw it, Jenner was approaching the problem from a totally different angle from Eugene. Jenner was CDC, and his mindframe is about stopping the spread of the disease and curing the infected. His conclusion is there's no hope, everyone's already infected. Eugene is coming from a biological warfare perspective: taking for granted that there's no way to cure the disease, he realizes the next best hope is to engineer a biological weapon that's targeted to kill the reanimated. I still think Eugene's full of crap, but it's plausible that they would not have discounted Eugene's theory immediately just because of what Rick heard from Jenner.
    The only flaw in your logic is if everybody is infected and eugene engineers a biological weapon to target the infection.. surely it will kill everyone living and undead?

COMIC SPOILER!!

Not that it matters anyway because we all know Eugene's full of shit, It's just when and how they will reveal it on TV that I'm looking for too!

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    The only flaw in your logic is if everybody is infected and eugene engineers a biological weapon to target the infection.. surely it will kill everyone living and undead?
    Obviously his countervirus or whatever would have to distinguish between the passive infection in the living and the active infection in the undead. The virus presumably interacts with the body's cells in different ways when the body is living versus dead. Eugene would have to think he can design a counter-virus that can target only the reanimated stage of the virus.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria