Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: TWD 5x04 "Slabtown" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Tibet
    From what I've seen and read, those who have the least are usually the most likely to share what they have with others.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Wow that looked so different in my bedroom on that TV!
    Turn the TV around. It's better to have the screen facing you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbomb View Post
    ...using guinea pigs for food was neat (though Rabbits might have been better).
    I don't know anything about guinea pig meat, but you only eat rabbit, you'll starve. The meat is way too lean.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Guinea Pig as food:

The common guinea pig was first domesticated as early as 5000 BC for food by tribes in the Andean region of South America (the present-day southern part of Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia)

Guinea pigs (called cuy, cuye, or curí) were originally domesticated for their meat in the Andes. Traditionally, the animal was reserved for ceremonial meals by indigenous people in the Andean highlands, but since the 1960s, it has become more socially acceptable for consumption by all people.

It continues to be a major part of the diet in Peru and Bolivia, particularly in the Andes Mountains highlands; it is also eaten in some areas of Ecuador (mainly in the Sierra) and Colombia.

Because guinea pigs require much less room than traditional livestock and reproduce extremely quickly, they are a more profitable source of food and income than many traditional stock animals, such as pigs and cattle; moreover, they can be raised in an urban environment. Both rural and urban families raise guinea pigs for supplementary income, and the animals are commonly bought and sold at local markets and large-scale municipal fairs. Guinea pig meat is high in protein and low in fat and cholesterol, and is described as being similar to rabbit and the dark meat of chicken.
    I had discovered this when reading up on them as pets when considering getting one for my oldest daughter, so I wasn't too surprised by their appearance on TWD (though I was to discover their origins originally! )

England
    Shootem' is correct, rabbit is so lean that it really has little to no food value for long term survival. Probably good for filling a cavernous hungry belly in an emergency and supplementing other food though!

Interesting stuff about the guinea pigs...looks like the writers did a little bit of thinking on this issue...props to them!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    I'm worried that Gimple is going to take this show down a similar path as last season. I can't stand the guy. If you have to go on Talking Dead, like he did a few weeks ago, and explain all sorts of minutiae about the episode, which he did, that just shows your story telling ability is lacking. IMHO

I too had high hopes for Gimple and have been disappointed. Granted, after the meandering soap melodrama that WD was converted into under Glen Mazzara's regime Gimple is still at the very least, a cut above that.

Anyway, I found this episode an interesting departure from the rest of our heroes. Better than the lackluster 'Strangers' and time wasting 'Four Walls and Roof'. I didn't mind spending an hour Beth though, the execution did leave much to be desired. The hospital seems yet another settlement with a dark secret. On the surface, it looks better than what’s outside. But it doesn’t take long to figure out that it’s built on a flaw that will rip it apart. That’s a fairly cool concept. I can't help, but feel we're back to the same scenario of the latter Season Four though. The group is fractured again. There’s no clear direction for the characters or the show. Eh.

UK
    Well I watched this episode for a second time before tonight's episode and I have to say it was better on second viewing. I think I would say it is still the weakest episode of all series but certainly not as bad as on first viewing.

I must have been in a right old mood last week.

United States
    I don't have the same resentment towards the Beth-centric episodes or portions as others here do. I consider 'Still' to be one of the finest episodes of WD ever made in this new era. It was a character-piece, something WD stuck in its melodrama, rarely if ever attempts and with such success. It put a little flesh on her bones, so to speak.

Ireland
    I have no problems with Beth at all and I think the actress does a decent job. In amongst the Daryl's and the Governors, she's a breath of fresh realism. I've known girls like her. But, I've never met a single Daryl in my life.

But this episode was just "off" for me. It had its moments. but after the blistering start of the first three episodes, the setting here was just too different an angle. It may all tie up in the end though. I suppose it will. It's just another example of why watching 'The Walking Dead' from week to week doesn't compare to a marathon run of multiple episodes.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....